Speed sensor wire for trip minder install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed sensor wire for trip minder install

Just got my tripminder today and I have allready took apart the dash pieces and the dash pad so I can get to it. I had a digital clock and cruise control, but I allready found some of the wiring I need.

Where is the wire for the VSS? I read that it comes off the transmission, but where does it come into the dash? Do I have to remove the speedo cluster to gain access to it?
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

depends on if you have a cable or digi speedo, digi speedo has the sender, cable has, well, the cablemay be another vss i dont know of
    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Actually I found it, its a dark green wire with a white stripe next to the ecm in the cruise control servo/bracket. I read the tripminder install again and found it in the car. I have a cable driven speedo though.
      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

My wire diagram shows pin# 34 off the ECM is for the trip minder.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Yeah thats the fuel flow wire, to show the distance traveled and average speed, its a green wire with a white stripe in the cruise control servo.

I hooked it up today and it seems like everything works. I have the average speed, distance traveled, and how many gallons of gas used. The only thing that is working oddly is the mpg, which does not show a steady number. It increases in number (4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 19, 24, 27, etc), then drops, then usually rests at zero at a stop light. Do you have to stay at a consistent speed for it to tell you your mpg? I haven't set anything on it and only drove the car maybe two miles from my house in the city, stop sign to stop sign.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Also, do I need to hook up a blue wire with a red stripe on my trip minder harness. It says in the diagram its for illumination but I don't have a matching wire for it in my 87 GM.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

The connector with the blue wire w/ red stripe is hidden behind your speedo. If you arent using the full wire harness for the tripminder, you can tap into the ashtray light wire for the same thing.
              The factory tie in for the vss signal and fuel wire (if its there) is located near the emergency brake pedal.
              Last edited by 85crownHPP; 04-15-2006, 08:49 PM.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 87mefull
                The only thing that is working oddly is the mpg, which does not show a steady number. It increases in number (4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 19, 24, 27, etc), then drops, then usually rests at zero at a stop light. Do you have to stay at a consistent speed for it to tell you your mpg? I haven't set anything on it and only drove the car maybe two miles from my house in the city, stop sign to stop sign.
                That is the instantaneous MPG, if you push the econ button twice it shows average MPG. The instantaneous MPG only will be acurate if you are cruising at the same speed for at least a few seconds.
                Last edited by FatNasty; 04-26-2006, 05:26 AM.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Working...
                X