Muffler reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler reccomendations

Either this paycheck or next, I'm putting duals on the Vic. For now, I'm going with a factory style h-pipe and stock tails. I've decided I don't want an obnoxiously loud car. I want a rumble(not drone) at idle, and it can roar on acceleration. So Flowmaster 40s are out, as well as the Terminator mufflers I was looking at. I'm not going to get glasspacks either. When I do this, I'm also going to cut the cats. Reccomendations?
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Flowmaster Delta's. They are quiet at idle and get loud when you get on it.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

It's going to be tough to get a rumble at idle, yet not a drone driving down the road. I got glasspacks and gutted cats on my '82 and it has a nice sound at idle, but it is still no rumble due to the stock engine. I have the drone (which I happen to like) driving down the the interstate, but not really much sound at 55mph with 3.08's. Get you some "Royal Scott" mufflers. They look like glasspacks, but have a baffle in them. They give a some sound at idle, but no drone on the highway, yet sound when accelerating. Not loud and won't get you a sound ordinance ticket.

The DeltaFlow Flowmasters might suite you as well.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The stock cam in the 302 engine will not make it drone or loud at idle. Even with straightpipes on them there is only a little exhaust noise. An HO cam, on the other hand, has a drone idle just above 800 RPM or so.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
        302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
        '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
        '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

I like the drone.

However, I have glasspacks + H-pipe on that ol' CFI converted to 4bbl motor on my merk with sidepipes, and I never really had a "drone".
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Dynomax super turbos...
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

:stupid:

They are great. Cheap, sound good on acceleration, little note at idle, and not much cruising.

Comment

Ive got an off road H-pipe with some $15 summit super turbos and even at full throttle its still quiet. Drone is pretty much non-existent though. If I werent so cheap Id go for a set of dynomax bullet mufflers, I have a few sound clips from mustangs if you guys would like to hear them.
                -Matt
                1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Man, are all us panther owners on the east coast?? Anyway, i've got mustang shorties, off road h pipe, and flowmasters turning down b4 the axle. I unfortunately don't have anything installed yet, since I just started this project a week ago. Everything is sitting on my shed floor mocked up and looking real pretty. The only things I paid a lot of money for were the flowmasters (65.00+shipping), and off road h pipe (120.00 total). This is a pretty cheap and easy way to open up the exhaust and get a better sound. If I can find out what to use to get a 2 1/2" pipe over the axle then I'll have my full exhaust, till then that's it. Stupid bills.....

Comment

96 Impalla SS tail pipes are available in 2-1/2" and will fit very nicely over the axles.

Comment

Thanks Blaze...btw your car is awesome.

Comment

NP, and thanks for the compliment.

Comment

Summit brand turbo mufflers. Cheap, quiet, and flow OK.

Comment

i installed a set of the summit polished stainless mufflers on davids superlinc...............they are soo nice and $68 ea........sound good too

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I got summit performance mufflers on GL, it's got drone at idle, and a little drone at highway speed
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X