No announcement yet.

Turbonator/Tornado fuel saver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbonators are useless. it says in the fine print that it doesnt work.

Comment

What?
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I got around 20 or so in my 1406 carbed, 3.55 car before the race trans

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I'm stuck at about 18mpg with EFI & 3.08 gears.
          -Matt
          1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I got 20.4 mpg on my Variable Venturi carb last time! Getting close to me 22.0 record!
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Disclaimer: I'm all about EFI. I have no plans to convert my car to a calibrated vacuum leak.

The GMGT is better on fuel than my Townie is. 19-20 mpg with the 4bbl, and about 15 mpg from my SEFI. My car also doesn't run right currently, but its never gotten better than 20-21 on the highway.

4bbl carbs, especially spread bore carbs, coupled with a light foot can and often are better on fuel than a 2bbl. Problem is, most carbs aren't tuneable enough to be able to run right on a little motor. Q-Junks, for as much as people hate them, are great for this. They have meterring rods, making for an effective variable main jet so it won't bog when the secondaries open. The ThermoQuad had this, and an adjustable air door spring, so it would open only when the motor could handle it. Wonderfully tunable carbs that could do good fuel economy and run really nicely even on a small engine. Carbs are not horrible, and when properly matched to the engine and tuned right, run damn good. The problem is, often the match isn't good, usually because the carb is simply too big, or its jetted/tuned improperly making it inefficient. Carb tuning is a bit of an art. EFI is gas and go. Its all about one's skill set, whether you're more comfortable with a vac guage, plug readings, and fliddling with a carb, or if you prefer electronics with a computer readout. I have serious doubts that a properly tuned carb can do better than properly working EFI in regards to fuel economy under the same circumstances, but I'll wager they can do about the same.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yup, the only shitty thing with carbs is cold starts. Other than that, I can have glass smooth idle, and plenty o power. I used to hate quadrajets until I took the time to dial mine in, then it was great.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

carbs can get good mileage.......i used to get up to 24 mpg with my 351 78 cougar xr7,it had a holley 600 with a crane econopower cam, and dual exhaust.......when i beat on it,yes i got single digits, but 55-60 mph with the cruise on nonstop usually broke the 20 mpg barrier........oh and i was averaging 18-20 mpg on the way home from sc with gmgt
                  scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I was pleased with the 4bbl swap on GMGT, overall. Made decent power, and made me forget about the mistake of the 2bbl swap.

And as said above, it got decent mileage. When I had CFI 17-18 was my best. If I recurved my dist, It probably woulda done even better!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I'm gonna get that Turbonator and keep it for 2-3 weeks.
                      if it works...I'll tell everyone i know
                      If not...
                      "I shall register my disgust on the internet."
                      and then I'll return it and get my $ back.
                      sigpic
                      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Man, don't even bother - all the "vortexed" airflow will calm down and straighten up well before it reaches the lower intake, not to mention the injectors area (which is where you actually want it). If you so much want to spend those $60 just get a mustang upper intake + EGR spacer + TB, and a set of Mark VII cables for the TB, and put those in if nothing else, you'll at least be running more air through the engine.

Comment

Working...
                        X