No announcement yet.

521 Stroker Motor for the Fairlane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll have to let you know when I get my fairlane road ready. Its coming from the opposite end of the spectrum but keeps me and my wallet happy.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Originally posted by Jason_MarkVI View Post
      hey pat, I dont have quicktime 7 and cannot upgrade it..because my computer still WIN ME. quicktime 7 is only for XP and Vista. So, that mean Im going to get a new computer soon. Can you make me a favor, you put some videos at streetfire? so I can view your videos??
      Hi Jason. Those videos are not in quicktime. Maybe you can do the old right click and save to your computer, and it should play with Windows Media Player. Also, are you the Jason that I sent the Fairlane pictures to? Did you get the ones from at the track? If not, you may be a different Jason.

Nitroracer, show some pics during the work, and let's see what you have now. I dumped alot in my engine build, but the rest of the car needs alot of attention. It is sporting a 10 year old Maaco paint job, but I use my car all year long, and run the heck out of it. It's not even kept in a garage. I don't want a big dollar car either.
      1966 Ford Fairlane 500XL - 521 Stroker/4-speed
      1997 Ford F250XLT Heavy Duty - 460/E4OD
      2008 Ford Crown Victoria LX

Comment

hey pat baddass!
        hey come out here sometime and race at numidia! it's a nice track.....lotsa traction.....my slow beasts never spin lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by PatFromJersey View Post
          Hi Jason. Those videos are not in quicktime. Maybe you can do the old right click and save to your computer, and it should play with Windows Media Player. Also, are you the Jason that I sent the Fairlane pictures to? Did you get the ones from at the track? If not, you may be a different Jason.

Hey Pat,

yes that me!! haha. good to see you here! I will try to save it into my computer and use windows media player to see if its works.
          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
          1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
            hey pat baddass!
            hey come out here sometime and race at numidia! it's a nice track.....lotsa traction.....my slow beasts never spin lol
            Cable Guy called me the other day, and he wants to get a meet up at that track on August 25th. I have a fishing trip planned that day, but it's real tempting to back out and hang out with the crew again. I've been working so much the past two years, that the only time I have off seems to be my vacation weeks. I'm hoping to tear into my differential next week, to rebuild the Detroit Locker. I don't want to hit the track until I fix that, or else I'll have the "one wheel peel" again. I'd love to trailer up the Fairlane and go for broke at that track. The pictures of it posted at SF07 were really nice.

Comment

I think it was the 24th, not the 25th....

Other Pat wants to do a meet there also, he may be taking it over...might be a different day.
              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

After 37 years, it was about time I took apart the 9" differential from the Fairlane. This setup was originally in my old 70 Torino Cobra, and as far as I know, it has never been rebuilt. I had two gear changes done to it a long time ago, 4:30's to 3.50's, then the 3.50's back to 3.89's. I had someone else do them, but since I tackled the 8.8 differential, the 9" is like a walk in the park. I was a little disappointed that I thought I had a Detroit Locker, according to the original owner, who is my Dad's friend I bought the Torino from back in 1985, but it has a Traction Lock rear in it. I don't think any of the guys who did the gears swapped it out on us, since I still have the original "N" case big bearing housing, and they would have had to swap all the bearings out too. I found out that is was common to have the 4.30 Drag Pack option on the Torino with a Traction Lock rear, and it was a $207 option for the Detroit Locker. I guess I'll never know 100%, since I don't have the original invoice. Anyway, I know I have to rebuild the traction lock with new clutch packs, and now I know why I've had traction issues for some time now. It needs new clutch packs! Here's some pics of my work.
                The nasty before pics.....

I bought this little fixture last year, anticipating this job. What a lifesaver, and it made things real easy to work with. I cleaned and painted everything cast iron gray, so it looks all clean again. I used ALOT of brake cleaner on this thing.

I finally put the center section back together for the Fairlane. Not a bad job at all, and is very easy to do. I watched a DVD from the same guy who taught me the 8.8 rebuild, so I watched it a few times, took some notes, and headed to my Dad's garage.
                I decided not to use the original traction lock, and picked up a used Detroit Locker. Half the price of a new one, so I hope I leave two black tire marks when I have it back in my car. I did buy new clutches for the traction lock, so I will put that back together next week. I'm not sure if I'll sell it, or hang on to it just in case.

After putting on the same ring gear I had before (Richmond 3.89's), I installed new bearings and races. I made work with the 20-ton press and did this all myself. I have more than paid for this thing, with all the use it's had. Don't throw away your old bearings, because you will need them to finish off pressing the new ones on. A flat piece will only get the bearing flush, but use an old bearing race to slip on top of the new bearing race, to press it the rest of the way.

New races installed on the larger Daytona Pinion Support.

New pinion bearing pressed on.

I decided to go with a solid pinion spacer, instead of the crush sleeve. To get me in the ballpark, I measured the old crush sleeve to get a starting point. I then made the solid spacer the same size. When I first checked the pinion bearing preload, it was only 10 inch/lbs. I took out .005 from the solid shim, and then it went up to 28 inch/lbs. I added .002 of shim, and I hit my mark at 20 inch/lbs for new bearings. The spec is 16-29 inch/lbs on new bearings, so I wanted to hit the 20 inch/lb mark.

I forgot to take a picture of the 20 inch/lb mark I left it at.
                Here's the final pinion gear/support assembly, with new front seal installed and everything torque down. Since I used a solid spacer, the final torque on the pinion nut was 200 ft/lbs. If you use the crush sleeve, you tighten down (with alot of effort I might add), until you reach that magic number between 16-29 inch/lbs for new bearings, or 8-14 inch/lbs for used bearings. Don't put the O-ring on the pinion support just yet, until you check the gear pattern on the gears. Most of the time, the shim that came off will do it, but leaving the O-ring out for now, will make it easier to pull the pinion assembly in/out if you need to add/subtract from the current shim you're using. My original shim was perfect, so I didn't forget to the new O-ring on.

Here's the new pinion gear support bearing being installed.

Here's a shot of the fixture I made to hold the dial indicator to set the case spread. The actual case must be "spread" to achieve a carrier bearing preload of .008"-.012" I used a 5/16" bolt to thread into one of the bearing caps, welded a long 3/8" bolt with a larger bolt that happened to fit into one of my dial indicator adapters. I'd be lost without my MIG welder. :nod: After setting the differential into the housing, leave the right side adjuster loose, and tighten the left side adjuster until there is no play in the differential. Then, setup the dial indicator as pictured, and tighten the right side adjuster until the dial indicator reads .010". I picked that number because it was in the middle. Then make a reference mark for when you need to check the backlash.

Now I check my backlash. It was just under .008" which is a little too tight. so I loosened the left side adjuster one notch, and tightened the right adjuster one notch, to bring the ring gear away some. Move the adjusters the same amount, that's why you need the reference mark, so you don't mess with the .010" case spread spec you did earlier.

Here's the final assembly, ready to go in my Fairlane when I get home this afternoon from work.

Comment

Wow, awesome!

I will certainly be in the market for the same stroker kit you are running after the vic is done
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

nice work patt looks like you did a good job. this reminds me when we played around with toyota removable carriers are school

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Ford 9" is a third member unit, eh? Nice. How do those carrier preload adjusters work? Sounds like they'd be much easier to deal with than the shims on an 8.8. Those are a bit of a PITA...

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Ahh, brings back memories of my first year in the AST course in college, we took apart ford 9" rear ends.
                        sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
                        Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
                        Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
                        1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

I think rebuilding the rear end will be last on my list now after looking at those pics. Good job on that rebuild!!!!!!!!!!

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                            I think rebuilding the rear end will be last on my list now after looking at those pics. Good job on that rebuild!!!!!!!!!!
                            Haha, I take it as you've never experienced the joys mismatched (and of course unmarked) connecting rods and caps can bring you? Gear stuff ain't all that bad, I had my 12-bolt open last Wednesday for axle bearing and seal replacement, had some fun with the cross pin but other than that it went pretty smooth, from all the info Pat posted ne thinks if you pay attention to whatcha doin and take yer time all will be good.

Comment

packman, you're in Jersey right? If you need any help rebuilding that 9", I'll do it for you for a couple beers.

Comment

Pat, what kinda clutch setup do you run?

It's getting time for me to start thinknig about things like this, and was curious. Since I got a heavy car I was def thinking of a steel flywheel, but what type of clutch material you use?

Need pics of those sexy new wheels, too
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X