Best air shocks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best air shocks??

With all this talk about rear ride height, I was wondering what is the best air shock. See, I don't want a huge rake all the time but would like to be able to add it from time to time. So my question is who makes the best air shock? Usually air shocks provide shitty ride quality, at least that is what I've felt from personal experience. I want decent handling with the benifits of an air shock. Anyone?? Even if they're expensive I think they'd be worth it.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

gabriel hi jackers for my lincoln also fit your vic, mine were 25.99 each at autozone, not too bad ride, a little stiff, but it helps stop the body roll, you can see kinda what the rake is at 100lbs psi in my sig, look in my "rides" page for a better idea
    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

The only problem with air shocks is they actually can make handling worse since they're connected with a common line. The air will shift side to side and exaggerate body roll somewhat. its still less than normal with dead springs, but if you had the lines isolated it would be better. Think of it this way: take two partially inflated baloons and somehow connect them together. Squeezing one makes the other inflate. This is how the air shock works. The side going into the turn is going to compress, forcing air to the outer shock which will increase the body roll. I'd like to either go full rear air suspension or connect my shocks back to the factory auto-level system but incorporate control solenoids so once the compressor shuts off, the solenoids close and the air can't transfer side to side.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Meh, I put hijackers on the chevelle and didn't care for em much. Like you said they're a little stiff. I will run separate lines to each shock to help with that problem tho.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I have always run 1 line to each shock to eliminate the side to side stuff.And yes they have a stiff ride.They also will change psi with temp rise and fall.
          President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

yep, got 2 lines on mine, works aight
            jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
              The only problem with air shocks is they actually can make handling worse since they're connected with a common line. The air will shift side to side and exaggerate body roll somewhat. its still less than normal with dead springs, but if you had the lines isolated it would be better.
              The air shocks transfer air to eachother which causes body roll? Why are they connected, I allways thought they were seperate? My rear shocks are shot (floats up and down too much, alot of bodyroll) but I want to keep a soft ride.

So, if I put in new air shocks and ran seperate lines, I would have less body roll and a softer ride on stock replacement springs. Or would I be better off with a good set of standard shocks with stock or stock replacement springs? I was thinking of upgrading the springs but I heard the ride is rough with HD springs.
              Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
              2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
              Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
              Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Working...
              X