CFI Will be the death of me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI Will be the death of me...

Ok, my '85 T-bird has the dreaded CFI. Now, when it gets cold out (like now) it will NOT come off of high idle. The result? When it gets snowy and I try to stop with the car in Drive? Nope, keeps a goin cause the wheels are pushing it. Is there any way I can disable this cold high idle shit so I can drive like a regular human being?

go to a carb,lol

shifty don't stop in d either or od or 1

but she does stop in neutral,lol :slug:
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I am switching to carb... over the winter. I just need a quick fix for now.

Comment

pete(85crownlx) would prob know as he is the cfi guru.

at least with cfi, you have the idle screw. sefi has but it don't do anything,lol. my idle is high(i'll work on it later tomorrow) and thats even with my iac unplugged
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I think your choke is fucked up...

Remove the choke box off the sie of the unit. But beware, it will be a bitch to keep running in teh cold..you gotta keep ur foot on the gas...
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

yep your cold idle catch is not relaesing. check it out one cold morning to verify this, then time to trouble shoot.
            It could be the choke coile heater (the 1 wire going to it) its heating the coil and letting the choke release.

like tome said, you can remove this lever arm that catches the choke (or the whole thing) but it will NOT run well on cold warm up. one nut on the end of the throttle shaft going through the CFI and you can remove this lever.

to try and fix this, Id back off the fast idle screw all the way and see if it makes for a lesser stuck high rpm.
            then maybe try to loosen the screw holding the hockey puck shaped part of the choke (it hold the coil) and see if you can turn it for some adjustemnt. I havent done this myself but I think i heard some one else say they did this.
            Hope you can get it working right!
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
            X