{ENGINE} Super Unknown - header install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{ENGINE} Super Unknown - header install

Okay, so this isn't going as well as I had hoped. I can't seem to seperate the cats from the manifolds (even the impact wrench won't budge 'em), so I'm going to try and take 'em out as one piece. I even soaked it down with PB Blaster. The driver's side manifold bolts are all coming out. The passenger side is the problem.

Also, vac lines are breaking on me. One from a emission valve broke, but I'm not worried about that. The one that does worry me is the one pictured below. Can anyone tell me what it is for and how I should go about getting a new one?

Link to more info in other thread.
    Last edited by monterey1962; 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM.

Trace the vac line back to where it begins. That looks like a small vac reservoir that it attaches to.

As for the manifold/cat thing, I just now remembered that I also could not break the bolts free while the manifolds were attached to the engine. I had to take them out as one peice. Even when I got them out, I had to cut one of the bolts for the flange to get the downpipes off. Those things are gonna be a bitch, I had to put most of my weight on them to get them off. I think on the drivers side you can bring the manifold up and out, but on teh passenger side you have to drop the manifold down between the engine and the frame.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

that red one should go to the tree that is in the back of the upper manifold.
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

The red vac line is attacked to the unit below it. There are sever vac lines that come into that unit from the emission valves and from somewhere around the back of the intake. I may end up leaving it 'til the rest is done.

Comment

that is emissions vacuum storage. red line = direct vacuum = bad vacuum leak. Just patch the line the best way you can.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Justin, this is how I did my vacuum lines, this is as simple as it can get without removing the EGR system:
            http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...=32754#content

Comment

Thanks, Ivan.

Last edited by monterey1962; 05-18-2006, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Got the O2 sensor issue solved. The guys at CarQuest rock. I got the right ones now. CarQuest part number: OXY 75-1517. Long wires indeed.

Tom has his hacksaw. I have my angle grinder of mass destruction. I pulled both sides w/ manifolds connected to the cats. Driver's side manifold caught on the shift linkage. Enter angle grinder. There's no going back now. Passenger side came down and jammed. Two hard kicks and it dropped. Whew. Those bastards have some weight to 'em.

Comment

Yes they do

Actually, the hacksaw is reserved for when my sawzaw batteries go dead :hacksaw:
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i use the hoterench hehe
                    monty easy fix for that vac line........get some small windshield washer tubing that will fit over the plastic line......use a little weasel piss to make the tubing slide over the plastic line easier

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If there is enough room, just pull the remainder of the vac line out of the elbow and put the other end in there....

And advance sells the hard vac line also. Only in black though.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well, S.U. finally has headers and no cats. Yay! Didn't get a chance to fire her up tonight. I have to run down tomorrow and pick up an O2 sensor that I have on order and some rubber line (Thanks for the info, Scott). Hoping I can get an appt. tomorrow to get the glasspacks put in. I just hope there are no leaks. Had a little trouble getting the H-pipe to match up to one header. I put a bead of Hi-Temp Silicone sealant around each port on both sides of the gaskets. Used 1 1/4" bolts with both types of washers. Pretty much everything is back together except for the air box, but I need to gain access to the O2 sensor plug, yet.

Btw, I replaced my oil pressure sending unit. Turns out the old one had just sucked in a strand of teflon tape and was plugged. Sometimes it's just the little things that get you.

All in all, I feel good and had fun doing this. The headers look like they belong there rather than those clumpy manifolds. I should get some pics tomorrow. Maybe even a vid or two.

Last edited by monterey1962; 10-05-2006, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Shit, I forgot you had 4 cats lol

That's some good news right there mang, let us know how that bad boy sounds!
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Those manifolds are heavy ugly bastards for sure. Even the weight reduction you get by going to headers makes it worthwhile, the flow improvement is just another bonus.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh sweetness. Fired her up this morning. Runs great. Sounds great. I can feel the difference when driving her. Definitely breathing better now without the cats and manifolds on. Went down to Meineke and had it finished this morning. $205 got me two 18" glasspacks and some pipe, plus labor. The guy down there does great work. I reused the old tailpipes to save money. He cut the lower flanges off of the H-pipe and went down to a 2 1/4" pipe, then into the glasspacks, then into the 2" tailpipes. I kept the old ends and flanges. Sounds mean. The old duals just sounded like an old suffocating engine without mufflers. Now she has a real attitude. Pics and vids below.

Before:

After:

Last edited by monterey1962; 10-05-2006, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X