{ENGINE} Super Unknown - header install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks good!
    i always leave the flanges......makes it easier to take apart in teh future, or say i wanna put a catted h pipe on my car if need be for inspection purposes

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Sounds good! Just wait till they break in
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I let my mom drive S.U. tonight. She almost didn't want to give the car back. She loves the new exhaust and how S.U. handles. Felt odd being in the passenger seat.

Comment

i had the cherry bomb glasspacks on the linc, sounded ok, kinda quiet, although ive had straight pipes on her for so long now ive gotten used to it, just redid everything from the h pipe back, sounds alot better, old exhaust was flex pipe and random parts cause i had no money to do it right, i still have no money, but 50 bucks total aint bad, new pipes from h pipe to over the axle pipe(reused old ones) then new tail pipes at a 45 degree angle out behind the rear tires, hooked up the flamethrowers again and poof, nice smooth flow, not too loud thanks to some kinda ghetto resonated tips(for now, inspection may make me put some kind of muffler on it, but thats not til august), looks way better, dosnt scrape as bad, still scrapes, but the car sits low, watch those steep driveways and speedbumps, ive got the same headers and h pipe and itll scrape sometimes, good deal mang...
          jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Glad to see S.U. back in action. I know your car is happy and is rewarding you. Mine on the other hand is falling apart
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I slapped on a off road H-pipe and now Im scraping the ground all over the place, I have to put the stock mustang H back in for inspections anyway.
              -Matt
              1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I haven't noticed any real clearance issues with this, so far. Clearance is one reason he cut the lower flanges off. The on side was pointed downward and he cut it back to the straight part. The H-pipe is up against the cross member good and tight. Btw, the H-pipe is a BBK. Crap, I should have mentioned: I left the belt on the air pump and A/C. I did not remove the valve that is right next to the air pump and I did not cap that line. No problems, so far. I pulled the metal tubing that goes from the cats up along side the engine. I left the valve on the metal tubing that comes from the back of the engine and capped it off with one of the short pieces of rubber hose and a large bolt.

So, what should I do with the old manifolds? Take the time to get 'em seperated from the cats or just toss the whole works? The cats are trash, but if someone needs a good pair of manifolds, there they are.

Next weekend I plan on taking a day trip with S.U. I'm really curious to see if there will be an improvement in fuel mileage with the new exhaust and new O2 sensors (which also had 170K miles on 'em). I don't know if my random rough idle is gone or not. It hasn't surfaced, yet.
                Last edited by monterey1962; 10-05-2006, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Kick ass man, sounds mucho nice! keep up the good work on her!

Comment

Justin, you should see a decent improvement in mileage - with the stock single exhaust and without air conditioning and smog equipment Angie was getting about 24mpg when running at 75mph on cruise control, last night and today i saw 23mpg running at 65mph with the A/C on for about 200 miles straight. And my exhaust is more restrictive than yours, plus the huge scoop on the hood doesn't do any good to the aerodynamics of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
                      Justin, you should see a decent improvement in mileage - with the stock single exhaust and without air conditioning and smog equipment Angie was getting about 24mpg when running at 75mph on cruise control, last night and today i saw 23mpg running at 65mph with the A/C on for about 200 miles straight. And my exhaust is more restrictive than yours, plus the huge scoop on the hood doesn't do any good to the aerodynamics of the car.
                      Tell me you made that functional. Even in and EFI car it will help to keep the intake cooler on long drive, though rain water might be a concern if you do not have good connectors with a good coating of di-electric grease.

Comment

All my connctors have good seals, and are also overfilled with dialactric grease. Water doesn't even go in there though, so no worry about that.
                        Last edited by ; 02-05-2010, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
                          All my connctors have good seals, and are also overfilled with dialactric grease. Water doesn't even go in there though, so no worry about that.
                          I would suggest that you get the rubber cover for the distributor back on there. A little watter in there and no good. The rubber cover will pprevent that completely, and I think it cleans up the looks as well, especialy when you have the red MSD cap on the grey distributor.

Comment

I like it!
                            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                              I would suggest that you get the rubber cover for the distributor back on there. A little watter in there and no good. The rubber cover will pprevent that completely, and I think it cleans up the looks as well, especialy when you have the red MSD cap on the grey distributor.
                              It's already done, just the pics are from right after my trip, before which I didn't have time to dig in the boxes for the rubber boot.

Comment

I think I may have an exhaust leak. I'm getting a noticeable smell under the hood. The headers are on tight and I used that Hi-temp silicone around each port. The only place that I think could be leaking is the header-to-H-pipe connection. I tighted those nuts up and the H-pipe sat good against the headers. I can't seem to find any visible leaks. I plugged the line that comes from the back of the heads, too. Anything I may have missed?

Comment

Working...
                                X