Upper intakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper intakes

between a 89 CV 5.0 intake and a 87-93 5.0 intake ...
    other than the 19 lbs injectors ...
    thanks

The question is worded wrong. The CV 5.0L intake is a Low Performance intake (LOPO). The Mustang 5.0L intake is a High Performance intake (HO). This HO intake is only on HO motors, not just any 5.0L. Above the HO is a Cobra intake, and above that is the GT40 intake. There are two verieties of the GT40, one is cast alluminum, and the other is tubular. Both the HO and the LOPO have the same lower intake, only the upper half differs. And the same goes for the Cobra and the GT40, these two also share a similar lower intake. The GT40/Cobra lower intake is not the same as the HO/LOPO lower intake.

The different intakes were available on several different cars. I do not believ the GT40 intake was ever stock on anything, untill the Explorer 5.0L version came out. I could be wrong on this, but I think GT40 (pre 94) was an aftermarket only (this includes Ford Motor Company's performance part division). The Cobra was available on the Mustang Cobra in 93, as this was technicaly the only year of a 5.0L cobra Mustang with your style intake. There were 94-95 5.0L Cobra Mustangs, HOWEVER, their intake is designed like the one on my Vic. They do not use and EGR spacer, as the EGR is integrated, and there is also a build in bend in the intake. Also they sit a little lower, so you have to use the low profile HO or Cobra stamped steel valve covers to use the 94-95 intakes as well. The lower intake remained the same though. All 93 and back style intakes are reversable, meaning you can turn it arround so that it points to the passanger side (mustang and everything else) or to the driver side (Panthers style). The 94-95 style (also on 91-93 cougar 5.0Ls) is not reversable because of this bend. See pics below.

94-95 HO (Mustang) (In this image is of the 94-95HO installed into an 86 Crown Vic)

94-95 Cobra (Mustang)

Panther style

93 back HO (Mustang)

93 Cobra (Mustang)

GT40 Cast aluminum style

GT40 Tubular style

Here is the LOPO and HO lower intake.

Here is the Cobra and GT40 lower intake.

The HO intake was avaiable on LSC or Mark VIIs (same car I think, right?), and as more commonly known, on Mustang GTs. The GT version (The one the the HO upper intake, remember the lower intake is the same as the LOPO), was available from 86 to 93. Again the 94-95 5.0L GT Mustangs had the bend like the intake on my car. My engine setup is a bolt in replacement for a 94-95 Mustang GT.

To convert to HO does not require you to replace the lower intake, only the upper. It will bolt in place without modiffication to either part of the intake. However, the EGR spacer and the throttle body will need modifications. You should put the HO throttle body on with the HO upper intake. Keeping the stock throttle body will cause you to gain nothing from swapping intakes. Also, the EGR will need to be modiffied to account for the larger intake size.

I'm very tired, someone who has delt with this more will finish this up and correct me.

PS, do not try to conver to a 94-95 mustang setup. It is a massive amount more work than a 93 and back setup. My case was different as my engine is not a coverter motor, it's a factory 94-95 motor. Just in case you get any ideas, thats your FYI.
    Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 05-24-2006, 07:37 AM.

Comment

eww, nasty lopo motor!

oh wait, thats my car like a year and a half ago lol

Good explanation Blaze. The LSC was a trim level of Mark VII. In 1986, the LSC got the HO. In 1988, both the LSC and the Bill Blass (only other trim level at the time) got the HO engine. There was at one point a base model Mark VII, but it never recieved an HO and was extinct by 88.
      Last edited by gadget73; 05-20-2006, 03:38 AM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

GT-40 was stock on 93-95 Lightnings and 93 Cobra R's (I think)

LSC is a trim package of the Mark 7.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

And 95 Cobra R's
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

The Lightning and the 95 Cobra R ran 351Ws so the lowers will not work, howeber the uppers should.
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Like anyone is gonna find one in the junkyard..just mentioning it because it is a GT-40 intake.

Was the 93 R a 351?
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

No it was a 302. Does Ford still make the GT-40 lower for a 351?
                Nick
                88 Colony Park LS
                G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

i know the difference between all the rest of the intakes ... i just didnt know the difference between the ho and the cv ... lol

Comment

I figured if I'm gonna write it up, might as well do it right, and get it all in one place.

I know the GT40 lower intake for the 351 is still available through catalogs. And I will be using one when I build a new motor.

Comment

anywhere i could get a 5.0 GT40 new?

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic
                        You're gonna put a 351 into the SVT Vic? "That's crazy!!!"-Brain Fellows
                        In the future, probably a bit off. But why is that crazy?

Originally posted by beep_beep
                        anywhere i could get a 5.0 GT40 new?
                        Getting pretty rare, as Ford has stopped producing them. You can buy the intake from random places on the web that still have them in stock. Just do a google search for GT40 intake. Around $500-$600 is the cost for upper and lower new.
                        Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 05-24-2006, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Summit has a whole bunch of intakes including the Cobra. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294822100

BTW nice pics Blaze

Comment

is there any place i could get a new stock TB for the 89 CV?

Comment

so is there any way to run the H.O. upper intake with the stock mustang TB and stuf on it? why cant you use the mustang EGR? sorry i never done this before as you can tell lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X