No start condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start condition

i went to service the computer i traded for the grey towncar, and as karma would have it was just a loose connection, however the towncar wouldnt start.

observations.

this seems to be a slightly different from my 86. the coil harness is ghetto rigged and im not sure if the wires are on properly. theres a red wire an a green one.

there appears to be a fuse on the alt wire, but the fuse isnt clear so i cant see if its good or not. (forgot my tools)

i could smell fuel but when i pressed on the fuel rail valve after priming the pump with the key fuel only dribbles out. i was expecting a large spray.

so this leads me to beleive either hte fuel pump isnt putting pressure enough? (i can hear it run tho) so maybe try filter?

the iac motor looked spliced.

other than that it looked ok i guess. all the windows work, theres 5 turbines, and a steelie spare.. trunk motor worked, antenna worked... didnt try the moonroof. the vynil is severly sun damaged tho.

pics to follow

and heres a pic of some camaros just to piss you guys off

Comment

Who owns the POS with faded paint and the stoopid whitewalls? He must have a mullet :nana2:
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i did in 1987

so do you know if those wires on the coil are in the right places?

Comment

Yes, there are only 2 connectors on those coils anyway if memory serves. I don't think the polarity matters hugely, you'll get spark either way. See if it does have spark for that matter.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what about the fuel pressure tho, shouldnt the gas spray out of there like a sob? not dribble out? and i tried a coil i knew worked.

Comment

The coils seldom fail. Its usually the TFI or the pickup that causes no spark. If the pickup is shot, you also won't have the fuel pump running while cranking which gives a double feature of no spark and no fuel. Take an old tire pressure guage and check the fuel pressure. The tire guage will be shot afterward but most people have a few laying around and its a perfectly suitable emergency test tool. SHould be around 30-40 psi. Verify you have spark. If so, shoot some starting fluid in the throttle body to see if it lights off for a second. If it does, its fuel related. If no spark, check the TFI and the pickup. If you have a whole good distributor, just drop that in and try it.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

whats the diff between the coil, pickup, and tfi...?

i have a spare of the one that goes on the distributer thats the tfi?

the pickup is in the dis no?

Comment

Pickup is inside the distributor. TFI is the grey thing that attaches to the side of the distributor. The pickup is just a small coil that senses changes in a magnetic field. Its a hall effect sensor for those of you electronic people. The TFI is essentially just an amplifier for the sensor.

Comment

Comment

is that it on the top of the distributer shaft?

Comment

Pickup is the un-labeled blob in the center of everything. The metal spider is what it reads.

Comment

Camaro's kick @$$
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

ok i got down there today, dropped in a new dist, and it fired right up but smoked, so i was a tooth off. guessed and got it right. was dumbfounded that the dis is only held in by a single bolt. took 10 mins.

it might be my battery, as on the tester machine it tested bad, but my digital dash keeps flashing 'charging system' and beeps. however it will run and run.

also theres a few little girls that live there. 2yo and 5yo, i tried to move the car and the coluomb shifter was all floppy. i could still move it into gear but something is definately broken andthe little girl said "i would be disapointed in her because she did it" howdo i fix that

Comment

Whats floppy, the shift lever? Like the spring is broken and it doesn't pull back into positon? Mine is like that. Doesn't cause any functional problems, just mildly annoying. Pull the top shroud off the steering column and look at the spring. If its busted, thats your problem. If its not actually going into gear, check out the shift linkage. Its pretty simplistic rod and lever arrangements, you can see where it connects near the brake booster, goes down to a lever, and there is another rod from there to the transmission. Just make sure all the parts are connected and the pinch bolt where the rod attaches to the lever sticking off the column isn't loose.

Comment

Working...
                              X