Box, Dash Speaker Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box, Dash Speaker Install

You guys that installed aftermarket speakers, what did you do to get them to work? I tried 2 pair today that wouldn't fit cause there's no friggin room in there. Pass. side has some sort of brace in the way also. I'm about to buy another pair that has a mounting depth of 1.75"...but I don't know....HELP! :aw:
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

I think there are 5 1/4 s took a bit of work but sound good. After market stock size didnt fit but these did.
    Attached Files
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Turbo's setup is the way to go for dash speakers unless you drill a new hole or two and use a spacer to get 4 inch speakers to fit right. Unless your dash pad is brand new, his setup is probably the best since your mounting your speakers directly to the dash pad. It will produce the best sound, look decent, and have alot less rattle at higher volumes.

Also, mounting the speakers directly to the metal dash frame will result in rattles at higher volumes, I know because I get them with low watt 4 inch dash speakers and an insulated dash pad in great shape, so I cut an extra thin piece of insulation (same kind you get in a new box of speakers) and mounted it around them. Its only a temporary setup for me since I'm putting 6.5 inch speakers in the door soon instead for better sound.
      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
      Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
      Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

6.5 Sony's instal not done yet fixing other issues also. Inbetween customer stuff.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by turbo2256b; 05-28-2006, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 87mefull
          Turbo's setup is the way to go for dash speakers unless you drill a new hole or two and use a spacer to get 4 inch speakers to fit right. Unless your dash pad is brand new, his setup is probably the best since your mounting your speakers directly to the dash pad. It will produce the best sound, look decent, and have alot less rattle at higher volumes.

Also, mounting the speakers directly to the metal dash frame will result in rattles at higher volumes, I know because I get them with low watt 4 inch dash speakers and an insulated dash pad in great shape, so I cut an extra thin piece of insulation (same kind you get in a new box of speakers) and mounted it around them. Its only a temporary setup for me since I'm putting 6.5 inch speakers in the door soon instead for better sound.
          Those speakers are attached to the metal .Some dynomat a bit of reinforcing. The dash pad was caving in at the speaker holes. So the grills are attached to the pad with machine screws and nuts through a backing plate.

Comment

I have 3.5" speakers with tupperware lid adapters. Fits fine. My dash is also different than yours tho.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would just mount tweeters under the dash and mids in the doors
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i got the 5.25" on the dashpad too

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks people. I am going to find some decent 3.5s...
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

I made masonite adapters and used 4" speakers. 3.5" really can't handle anything unless get rid of the bass.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I used 4 inch alpine type s speakers. Only 1 screw holding each speaker in. I adjust the radio so I dont push anything lower than 135hz to them and I dont have any rattles at all.
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

My 4"s have too much mounting depth, they don't seat down enought to even get 1 screw in.
                        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

I went with the 5 1/4 s because the mounting depth worked. The smaller speakers and the orignal size didnt. Ha to enlarge the hole just a bit. I believe 3 screws out of 4 were installed. The windshield is to close for the 4th.

Comment

My 4" were very deep...still got them in there. Eclipse point sources
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

anybody have pics of the speakers mounted to the dash...i am upgrading the dash speakers since they are toast. i am planning on some 4" or 5.25" connected to some tweeters going on the pillars, with a bass filter before the tweets.does that sound ok?
                              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                              X