{INTERIOR} Gauge install into 140mph Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{INTERIOR} Gauge install into 140mph Speedometer

Yes, this is a repost from my Reader's Ride thread, but I figure it's good tech info, and you all should be used to me doing this by now hehe.

After 2 and 1/2 months, I have finally finished my custom gauge install into a factory 140mph speedometer. You may notice some purple color in some of the night shots, well there was purple. So I sent both of them back to Autometer because the water temp gauge didn't work, and the oil pressure was purple. They happily and without any fuss replaced both with brand new ones, and did not just send the gauges alone back, but supplied all new install kit as well. So I have extra install parts for both, including a second temp sensor! So on with the write up as I try to always do.

Below we have the raw parts, a factory 140mph speedometer, a brand new Autometer electric Water Temp gauge and mechanical Oil Pressure gauge, both in Cobalt style!.

First mod, break the speedometer needle stop off. As you can see without removing it you will never be able to go over 135mph LOL! This was done to my old 140mph speedometer as well.

I used a 2" hole saw and a drill press to drill the holes for the gauges. The press is needed because you have to be perfectly steady to make a clean hole. I assembled the entire cluster, minus the fuel gauge and circuit sheet, and then drilled the holes. That way all the pieces lined up perfect. You have to go very slow! If you go too fast some of the smaller pieces that you go through will break and leave unwanted holes. I then cleaned the holes up till the gauges fit perfectly.

This last pic is rather large, so I linked it to a full size version. This image shows what needs to be cut out of the circuit I removed both the red and blue areas. The red areas are dedicated to the 4 idiot lights, which is where I am placing these gauges. And except for a volt gauge, these gauges also replace the idiot lights...and I guess I also don't have a check engine light, not like I care though LOL. The blue area, not sure what it's for. Mine were not used and neither were the ones in this cluster. But maybe yours will use it. So that's all the circuit mods needed. I used the capacitor screw to hold down my ground wire, and just tapped off of the 12V key power, and 12V dash light power from the wiring harness that goes into the cluster.

Yes there was some cutting behind the cluster in the dash. Has to cut out wholes for the wires and pressure line to go through. I ended up making a little bridge for the massive wiring harness, because it was in the way of the oil pressure line. But with some common sense and care, it's not much to do. A little dremel action and vuala! And finally some completed pics! Enjoy!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 12-08-2006, 08:36 PM.

Looks good. Shame they didn't install this crap from the factory. The lack of instrumentation in these cars is nothing short of annoying.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Awesome work, man. Looks great.

Comment

Hm, just noticed that you used a standard civi shift indicator instead of the police version. Any reason or not really?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thats so beatuiful it brings a tear to my eye!

posting this here as well is definitly a good thing - more exposure.
          I try to post the finished result pics in the RR thread, and put the tech info in here or 5.0 tech. Maybe even a link from RR to the tech thread, hhmmm

oh, and those blue area bulbs are probably for the low fuel and low oil lights, which not everyone has.
          Last edited by 85crownHPP; 06-12-2006, 01:29 AM.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Nice work, i love the blue.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
              1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                Hm, just noticed that you used a standard civi shift indicator instead of the police version. Any reason or not really?
                I used the Civi indicator because my shift pattern is OD-2-1. So what I need is something out of a newer AODE vehicle.

Comment

looks great mang!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Looks fucking beautiful! Your car sure does kick ass.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

That is one sweet setup, looks like it came right from a high-dollar restored musclecar.
                      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
                      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
                      Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
                      Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Ever thought about having people pay you to do that? because if that is your first time then your amazing........That looks really really good! I would like to use a set of them "two in one" gauges in those spots.........Do you have any idea on setting those up?
                        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Would be same as these, just have to hook up 4 gauges instead of 2.

Comment

Working...
                          X