How come?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come?

Police shocks are listed for the front of box cars and not the rear??

Probably because the police cars had the front heavy duty shocks to handle the extra weight of the 351.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
      Probably because the police cars had the front heavy duty shocks to handle the extra weight of the 351.
      You could get the police package with a 5.0.....

Anyways, there is no police shock listing for 79-97, at least KYB's.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        You could get the police package with a 5.0.....

Anyways, there is no police shock listing for 79-97, at least KYB's.
        I'm aware and Monroe sells a set for it "Police heavy duty".

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I'm aware and Monroe sells a set for it "Police heavy duty".
          Yep they do. These are what I have on my Grand marquis.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog

Crown Victoria, Crown Victoria LX w/ Police Package
          Rear Gas-Magnum Severe Service Shock
          Part # 550011

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
          George Burns

Comment

The heavier valving in the shocks is to go with the stiffer springs. Its not so much about the motor weight. Possible there was either nothing different about the rear shocks, or the parts are just all gone now so the listing went with it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So what shock should I use with the original springs from 1986?
              Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              The heavier valving in the shocks is to go with the stiffer springs. Its not so much about the motor weight. Possible there was either nothing different about the rear shocks, or the parts are just all gone now so the listing went with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                So what shock should I use with the original springs from 1986?
                ...its really up to you...the Monroe police shocks will firm up the ride a little, I have them on my 85 LTD crown vic and my 88 Lincoln Town car

Comment

Either are fine. You can run stiff shocks with stock springs. Just consider the original target market for these cars, and you'll understand why they had such soft shocks and springs. Personally I don't like the jello blob feel of the stock setup.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gents, Monroe, or KYB??

Comment

Stock numbers???
                      Originally posted by t65neon5 View Post
                      ...its really up to you...the Monroe police shocks will firm up the ride a little, I have them on my 85 LTD crown vic and my 88 Lincoln Town car

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Either are fine. You can run stiff shocks with stock springs. Just consider the original target market for these cars, and you'll understand why they had such soft shocks and springs. Personally I don't like the jello blob feel of the stock setup.
                        Dido, I just came to this problem and I went KYB since I read numerous reviews saying Monroe didn't last.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                          Stock numbers???
                          550010 on the front...550011 on the rear ...police/severe duty ....and I have never had any issues with them, or the ones that were on my 90 and 91 (the 91 was actually a p72, the others are not)

Comment

Dido, I just came to this problem and I went KYB since I read numerous reviews saying Monroe didn't last.
                            I think I've had the same KYB shocks on the front of my car for probably 7 years now. No complaints, and if they gave up tomorrow I'll have gotten my money's worth.

Comment

I'm happy with my KYB's on my 85, although they are stiff.I have the $9 special Rockauto motorcraft severe duty shocks up front on my 91 and they are no where as nice (though for the price I can't complain).
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X