My "box" gets no respect:-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I am out in the NYC tenderloin this evening...........doing what?.............well attempting to get the after-effects of the last rain off the drivers door.........seems the rain carried tar and road artifacts (even parked)........first used some fast detailer.......forget it.........went on line for home remedies...........read that WD-40 will remove tar...........well after rubbing my B's off, success, now have to follow up with some polishing compound, then wax.........as I am working on the door I hear a young women tell her daughter in the carriage, thats a very old car that you will not see again............she kept walking and I debated if I should engage her in conversation, I let it pass...........'86 MGM Tudor, very old??? really????????

Sounds like a compliment. And these are older than 99% of the cars on the road. I think I've worked on 3 86 or earlier cars in a year at my current shop.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I heard on NPR that its the first time in a long time that the average age of a car is over 10 years old.

That said, 80s cars are the 2000s 70s cars. 80s cars are now getting 30 years old. Recently the movie `the faculty` was on and the dude was driving a 70s Car that was probably 20 years old at the time. My car is going on 26 years old now.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Yea you don't realize it sometimes until someone points it out. I'm as old as my car 25 so it seems old to me but not old in a sense of like a 55 Chevy my cars just approaching that classic stage but to other people they look at my car as if it were that old I get many questions on its year and age and most are surprised when I tell them it's an 89. Our cars stand out amongst the crowd so they'll always grab attention

Comment

its sad and honorable at the same time i feel. its sad because theyre getting so old and hard to find when they were once so abundant and relateable. now the remains are mostly beaters that no one cared about. but its respected that people such as us now treat a now unnoticed car like something thats an old classic muscle. i for one like many of you im sure, feel honored to drive a piece of history that most have forgotten. my old girl is 37 this year my Merc is 32 and the newly acquired 88 is 26. but ill never give them up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Wow, I really feel old motor-vatin in my 1964 Studebaker
            You know, it's mostly women who stop and comment on the car!

True story...........driving over the 59th Street Bridge some young MD intern cut too close into my lane as we turned to cross the bridge......he catches the end of my front bumper and does a number on his 'rice burner' Asian inport...........me, only thing I 'receive' is his paint on the chrome,and the front rubber pad-edge off..........which I popped back in. The cops laughed after he left and said my tank should be required driving around NYC

Comment

Living in NYC, I am happy I can still call Green Sales in Ohio and get most parts for the Tudor, have no ability to troll junk yards like most do in the country....guess I will keep her till the body rots off the frame!......I am enjoying for the first time in about 15 yrs having no rain river waiting for me when I get into her after a down-pour!.......thank you Avanti w/s!
              Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
              its sad and honorable at the same time i feel. its sad because theyre getting so old and hard to find when they were once so abundant and relateable. now the remains are mostly beaters that no one cared about. but its respected that people such as us now treat a now unnoticed car like something thats an old classic muscle. i for one like many of you im sure, feel honored to drive a piece of history that most have forgotten. my old girl is 37 this year my Merc is 32 and the newly acquired 88 is 26. but ill never give them up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Comment

No, not the boyz-n-da-hood, but rather the tank-n-da-hood!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0076.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1276213

Comment

Originally posted by chitownvic View Post
                  Yea you don't realize it sometimes until someone points it out. I'm as old as my car 25 so it seems old to me but not old in a sense of like a 55 Chevy my cars just approaching that classic stage but to other people they look at my car as if it were that old I get many questions on its year and age and most are surprised when I tell them it's an 89. Our cars stand out amongst the crowd so they'll always grab attention
                  Word, I've even had one guy take a guess at the year of my 1990 Grand Marquis and he guessed 78... he was pretty surprised when I said 90. The box styling definitely makes them seem older than they are if you aren't familiar with them. If toploader had an 86 mustang she probably wouldn't have noticed it as much but I'd say the styling of the panther could almost pass for something from the 70's. The only part that bothers me about what the mother said to her kid was the "that you will not see again" part... you'll see our cars again cause we keep our shit running!

Comment

Got two 87's (GM and brother's Topaz) in addition to my '95 GM. As long as they are safe, effective and look reasonably well I'm happy and really don't care what others think. My GF always tells me to get rid of the "chocolate bar" (the '87 GM) and my response is "if you ain't payin' - you ain't sayin'"!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

LOL............You see my Studebaker because in 47 yrs of ownership I must have dumped 50K into it to keep it almost factory new!LOL
                      Originally posted by BuffaloRider View Post
                      Word, I've even had one guy take a guess at the year of my 1990 Grand Marquis and he guessed 78... he was pretty surprised when I said 90. The box styling definitely makes them seem older than they are if you aren't familiar with them. If toploader had an 86 mustang she probably wouldn't have noticed it as much but I'd say the styling of the panther could almost pass for something from the 70's. The only part that bothers me about what the mother said to her kid was the "that you will not see again" part... you'll see our cars again cause we keep our shit running!

Comment

Caution Robert, it may change to 'if i'm-a-spreadin' u better be deleatin........and I hate to see a grown man cry!!! although Miami has like a billion women lookin for luv
                        Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                        Got two 87's (GM and brother's Topaz) in addition to my '95 GM. As long as they are safe, effective and look reasonably well I'm happy and really don't care what others think. My GF always tells me to get rid of the "chocolate bar" (the '87 GM) and my response is "if you ain't payin' - you ain't sayin'"!!

Comment

I've always felt like 80's cars are the last with any hint of the awesome style of the 60's & 70's - big chrome bumpers, metal trim, old school headlights... I can't see myself with anything newer as a fun/project/hotrod car....
                          They are definitely getting rare because not many folks want a 'big car' anymore, especially not an 'old' one, lol...
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I'm surprised people don't realize the aero-vics are a bit newer. My car has a bit more 70's styling with the front end, and when I tell them it's an "LTD" they seem to always guess it's from the 70's. To be honest women don't seem to care or notice my car. I'm not surprised, very few people, let alone women my age (I'm 25) are into older vehicles, and if they are it's usually the generic late 60's/early 70's muscle cars that are perfectly restored. Not that there's anything wrong with that

BTW toploader, I love the color of your 2 door, and the matching vinyl!
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

thats a very old car that you will not see again...
                              She is very right you know. The government will make sure that the only cars you will be able to buy in the future will be the size of those Japanese micro cars, with engines to match.

You know your car is old when you can't find them easily at the junkyards anymore...

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X