No announcement yet.

1983 Mercury Grand Marquis 2Dr "Mercules”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a 94 that has the axle you want (pulled the bumper off of it) at the FW Pick-n-Pull... if you don't already have an axle.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Didn't someone on here find that the axle tubes are the same for 31 spline, you just need to have the axle itself shortened to make it go? I know I remember reading that. Apparently the limo axle tubes are overly fat for whatever reason, but the late model whale 31 spline is the same diameter as the 28 at the bearing end. Someone will probably remember that thread, I think its a guy with an 80s Grand Marq, somewhere out west.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The limo axle tubes are larger cause of the extra weight of the car, the non-limo housing is actually quite flimsy - remember that one that rusted thru and broke while driver was hauling ass down the interstate? lol

As for the axle diameters, looking up an '06 Panther it uses #5707 wheel bearing, same as the one in boxes and aeros, so that checks out. But one can't simply chopping an inch off the diff end of said longer axles, for two reasons:

1) cutting the last inch off the shaft also cuts off the thing that keeps the shaft in place, namely the C-clip. Therefore, if a 9"-type pressed-on wheel bearing conversion is not in the plans, one will need to throw the shortened shaft on a lathe and machine a new groove for the C-clip to live in.
        2) splines length - typically factory axle shaft are splined just far enough to allow for full engagement with the diff side gear + a bit extra to account for sliding the carrier left-right while setting up the gear. Took some measurements for ya'll - box shaft splines are 1-1/4" long and the diff uses the last 1" of that allowing for 1/4" carrier positioning side to side. In comparison the aero splines are 1-1/2" long and again use the last 1" of that for the diff side gear, meaning when you trim the shaft you're only left with 1/2" worth of spline length for the diff to engage into, assuming the shaft won't jam up into the side gear when it runs out of spline to begin with (which it will with a box axle, aero looks like an interference fit as well just not as pronounced).

So the way to use the factory small-bearing 31-spline shafts would be to effectively widen the housing. Those "repair" bearings may be a reasonable way of accomplishing that, especially if one starts of with an aero housing. Will need to remove inboard seals from those repair bearings that have them, to allow oil to flow inside the bearings - never quite figured out how they're supposed to survive if the axle oil can never reach them anyways...
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I'm using aftermarket axles, like Lincoln Larry did when he built his rear. I am going to use the later rear also because the increased track width is desirable.

Jason, good to hear about that. Fort Worth is def the closest yard
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            The limo axle tubes are larger cause of the extra weight of the car, the non-limo housing is actually quite flimsy - remember that one that rusted thru and broke while driver was hauling ass down the interstate? lol

As for the axle diameters, looking up an '06 Panther it uses #5707 wheel bearing, same as the one in boxes and aeros, so that checks out. But one can't simply chopping an inch off the diff end of said longer axles, for two reasons:

1) cutting the last inch off the shaft also cuts off the thing that keeps the shaft in place, namely the C-clip. Therefore, if a 9"-type pressed-on wheel bearing conversion is not in the plans, one will need to throw the shortened shaft on a lathe and machine a new groove for the C-clip to live in.
            2) splines length - typically factory axle shaft are splined just far enough to allow for full engagement with the diff side gear + a bit extra to account for sliding the carrier left-right while setting up the gear. Took some measurements for ya'll - box shaft splines are 1-1/4" long and the diff uses the last 1" of that allowing for 1/4" carrier positioning side to side. In comparison the aero splines are 1-1/2" long and again use the last 1" of that for the diff side gear, meaning when you trim the shaft you're only left with 1/2" worth of spline length for the diff to engage into, assuming the shaft won't jam up into the side gear when it runs out of spline to begin with (which it will with a box axle, aero looks like an interference fit as well just not as pronounced).

So the way to use the factory small-bearing 31-spline shafts would be to effectively widen the housing. Those "repair" bearings may be a reasonable way of accomplishing that, especially if one starts of with an aero housing. Will need to remove inboard seals from those repair bearings that have them, to allow oil to flow inside the bearings - never quite figured out how they're supposed to survive if the axle oil can never reach them anyways...
            You couldn't just cut the axles down, you'd start with longer axles and have them modified to the appropriate length, along with re-cutting the splines and C clip groove. Much easier to make things shorter vs going the other way. The later axles are just something of a raw material at that point.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

C-clip groove is easy enough, the splines would be the hard part, as the axle shaft itself necks down some right after them - meaning where you extended the factory splines they will have a smaller OD than those 1/2" that are left of the original setup. Like you said harder to add material than subtract it...

Someone please remind me, when did the Watts linkage enter the Panther rear suspension scene? I'm thinking '03 together with the new drop-cradle front setup, is that correct?
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Watts started in 98. All whales have Watts unless fabbed with.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

aye, 98+. I wouldn't mind having that retrofitted into my car, but the frame mounts for that are completely different. I'd settle for a panhard rod, which would have to be less involved.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    aye, 98+. I wouldn't mind having that retrofitted into my car, but the frame mounts for that are completely different. I'd settle for a panhard rod, which would have to be less involved.
                    Hey, my car has that already.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

yeah but I'm not interested in that goofy front suspension you got with the deal. Not planning on frame swapping anything either.

Comment

Bummer on the '98 intro for the Watts, would have been nice to have at least one model year that has the super-wide housing with the older style suspension setup. And yeah, Panhard bar won't be too hard to fab up, already been looked into. Gadget, lemme figure out the shit with my front axle (metric D60 has different panhard bar that what I'm currently set up for), then I can apply what's learned from there to that 8.8 of yours too.

Comment

Looks like it's time to start working on this
                          thing again. Charged the battery and she fired right up the other days. I am going to do this little project, now that I finally have all of the parts!

I will need two tires, and to find the source of my coolant leak. Should be fun!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Got some real luck to find the Merc center for that wheel!
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              Got some real luck to find the Merc center for that wheel!
                              Took me 8 months to find it. 25 bucks shipped!

Comment

neat looking steering wheel. Old school race car type!
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X