87 ltd no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 ltd no spark

Driving last night after putting new tranny in, started supperting a little bit hear and there worse then normally then revving it up a little high and stalled and woudlnt start back up, realized I wasn't getting spark but I don't know what to check. Directly off the coil was no spark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either the pickup inside the distributor or the TFI module mounted on the side of the distributor. If it were me I would grab a distibutor from the junk yard and toss it in. It must be a distributor from a 5.0 with roller cam.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

What he said. Usually the TFI, could be the pickup. 86+ car 5.0 will be what you need.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What does tfi stand for? I just put a new coil in no change

Comment

Thick Film Ignition. The grey thing on the side of the distributor. It drives the coil.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Should I replace that or the whole disturber, why would it just go as I'm driving tho...

Comment

They die from heat. The one I had die on me went at a stop light. Car just shut down with no warning. When I lost a pickup magnet in the Mark VII, it hitched once and shut down while I was driving down the highway around 70 mph.

The TFI doesn't require replacement of the distributor, and it won't come with a new one anyway. It does need a tool to remove the TFI, and personally 've never been able to do it without at least moving the distributor but just pulling it is easier. Make sure you have a timing light to put it back where it goes.

Comment

Here is a link that lists some test procedures for the TFI and pickup: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...agnostic.shtml.
                It looks like the procedure was pulled straight from a Ford TSB.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

New tfi stilll nothing

Comment

probably the pickup then. I'm told you can get it out if you remove the "spider" under the rotor. I've never tried it myself, so your mileage may vary. The way I know to do it involves removing the gear from the bottom of the distributor and pulling the shaft out.

Comment

I'll try s new distubtour, if not that what else, I have a new coil and tfi now

Comment

The pickup module. Punch the rollpin out, take gear off and replace. I thought the hall effect switches lasted forever till I had to change one in my grandparents 86 marquis.
                        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

There is very little to the system, pickup in the distributor, module on the distributor, the coil, and the wiring between. if its got power and the parts are good, it has to work if its all connected.

They do last a long time, but not forever. The one on my Mark VII that died gave 230k miles of service, then the glue holding the magnet in let go and it shut down on me. John brought me a spare distributor to get me home. When I put the new TFI on, I noticed it wouldn't spin properly. Thats when I took it apart and found the magnet jammed where it didn't belong. New pickup and a new TFI and the original distributor is back in the motor at nearly 250k miles. If I'd glued the magnet back in it probably would have worked again but I wasn't interested in testing the holding power of glue.

Comment

I had that happen to me once too. Turned out to be the green wire at the coil connector was corroded inside the insulation about an inch back from the connector. Cut off the wire and replaced the section of bad wire, good as new. Check for power at the coil connector, if there's none, trace the wires back.
                            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

Working...
                            X