Large Marge: The New Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sly View Post
    the easy way to get the damn driveshaft bolts out... https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-Interna...dp/B000RLHUD2/
    POS. Used once, collar fell off after using with my impact gun. Promptly launched it with profanity somewhere in the wayyyy back of my backyard into some trees.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
      POS. Used once, collar fell off after using with my impact gun. Promptly launched it with profanity somewhere in the wayyyy back of my backyard into some trees.
      you must have gotten the quality is job 34 part. Mine worked fine for at least 2 jobs so far.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've had the same 12mm wrench for many years
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
          I'm so happy the later Aeros used stainless fuel and vapor lines. They are the shiniest thing under the Town Car other than the aluminum diff cover.
          I swear Ford kept going back and forth as to where to apply stupid engineering for no good reason other than minor production cost reduction. Aero Panthers have full stainless fuel lines, but trucks got stainless supply and return with regular crap steel vapor line that promptly rusts away into oblivion given the right conditions. All trucks on the other hand got door harnesses with connectors right in the A-pillars which makes door removal a very quick job, whereas at least box Panthers got not a single connector in that area which necessitates in gutting the doors and disconnecting everything inside and then fishing the whole stupid-long harness out thru the stupid-small opening in the sheetmetal... So basically, Ford were (and from what I gather still are) supreme assholes.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          I've had the same 12mm wrench for many years
          Same here, rubber mallet too
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

My mallet is hide. Probably the oldest tool I use regularly.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Well...the radiator is leaking. Of course it is. This will be the third time draining the cooling system. Thankfully it is so far a very slow leak, planning to buy the 1 core spectra radiator.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Just don't ignore the slow leak. I did that. Noticed the Town Car steaming a tiny bit on some odd occasions around Thanksgiving a few years ago. Tried to put it off till after the holidays and hopefully until warmer weather. Nope. Car said fuck you and the radiator started dumping all the antifreeze between here and work (~6 miles). Of course that was mid-January...so I changed the radiator on a sunny 20* day in my driveway. And as an added bonus, both trans lines broke when I undid them. The good thing was that the Spectra radiator dropped right in, exact match for the original, and the car ran cooler in the following summers. That job still sucked in the cold.
                -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                  planning to buy the 1 core spectra radiator.
                  Don't! Get the big A552 one, the peace of mind it provides when you're stuck in traffic on a hot summer day is invaluable. Ask John for his discount, or I can use mine but it will be two weeks till you receive the rad and I think John can get you a better price than me anyways.
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

+1 on the A552. The Mad Marquis didn't even flinch with temps after installing that beast.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

It's already ordered. I have the 3 core in the LTD, didn't notice a difference between the 2 core brass and 3 core when i put it in, still got hot in the summer with the A/C on and the 2 core brass is equivalent to the 1 core aluminum. Plus i don't have any of the bottom or top support pieces that would allow it to fit, and as I recall the hose size is different either on the top or the bottom. I'm doing as little modification as I can. I'd consider this: https://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...aia_id=1131321 but it's almost double the price and im hurting for money right now with all these sudden unexpected fixes one after the other
                      Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 11-06-2017, 10:04 AM.
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Yeah... gotta gut the bottom mount and get a second long top mount and use a 351 car top hose. The A552 is better than a single row for sure. Texas tested. But the single row will do the job if you're not towing.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                          the 2 core brass is equivalent to the 1 core aluminum.
                          FYI that's what the mass-production aftermarket assholes wants you to think, OEMs begged to differ at least till the end of the OBS era - you'd NOT find an aluminum rad in any Ford diesel from the factory, just 4-core copper monsters that you pretty much need an engine hoist to install, lol. Apples to oranges yes, still some food for thought I think.

Regardless, your reasoning is sound. Unfortunately I would be unable to help you on the brackets even if you did get the A552, as AFAIK my stash just got depleted by Heretic's car.

And I hear ya on the snowball repairs - tis why I still run that V8 boat anchor instead of a proper inline 6, the V8 ended up needing lots of work well before an I6 was in sight - which of course burned up half the I6 swap funding, so yeah, life's a bitch, lol

Comment

So that big A552, that's not a drop in replacement, is it?
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              So that big A552, that's not a drop in replacement, is it?
                              It is a drop in replacement... if you hog out the small side lower mount with a utility knife and get another long top bracket. Then everything bolts on. Just remember to get the right upper hose.

Comment

Its not so much the number of cores but the sizes. The reason the usual claim is 1 aluminum = 2 brass is the tube size. Brass tubes are relatively small, where the aluminum ones are much wider. The total core thickness is fairly comparable so it doesn't matter that its one row of tubes vs 2. Its all about surface area.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X