X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top dead center for dummies........

Ok, so tell me the easiest way to find TDC with engine in the car

Thanks

Thumb sealing the #1 plug hole, ratchet on crank turning engine over, feel for pressure to rise then stop when you feel the valve open. It's either tdc or 180° off
    Last edited by phayzer5; 01-09-2018, 01:01 AM.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

TDC is when both valvs are closed and #1 piston is at TDC and the way to find it is line up the timeming marks to TDC. Good luck.

Comment

What they both said. On the exhaust stroke the valve will be open and you won't feel much air trying to push your finger out the sparkplug hole. On the compression stroke with bolt valves closed, all of the air in the cylinder will wanna escape thru the passage blocked by your finger, it's pretty hard to miss or ignore. Then watch the balancer and line up the TDC (zero) mark with the pointer and you should be right on it.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Ok so...this is how I will go about it on my old Stude.....remove spark plug from #1 cyl, hook up my remote starter switch, place finger over plug hole, keep bumping starter until I feel the pressure wanting to push my finger off the hole, I may have to do this a second time as the pointer on the damper has to line up with the zero degree mark scale tag, just after I feel the pressure on my finger. I am not proud, if I do not have this correct...TELL ME!!! I have NYC skin
          Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
          What they both said. On the exhaust stroke the valve will be open and you won't feel much air trying to push your finger out the sparkplug hole. On the compression stroke with bolt valves closed, all of the air in the cylinder will wanna escape thru the passage blocked by your finger, it's pretty hard to miss or ignore. Then watch the balancer and line up the TDC (zero) mark with the pointer and you should be right on it.

Comment

That should work fine.

If I understand your plan;
            1) Find which is compression stroke
            2) Use mark to dial in exact TDC
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

That B my plan!!:-_)
              Originally posted by jaywish View Post
              That should work fine.

If I understand your plan;
              1) Find which is compression stroke
              2) Use mark to dial in exact TDC

Comment

The plan is fine.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

I would use a ratchet and turn the motor over by hand. It will be a lot safer and there is almost no chance of over-shoot since you can watch the timing mark come around. No idea what the Studebaker crank bolt is but its probably something decently large. A 1/2" ratchet will still do it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sadly there is like zero room to get a ratchet on the bolt......that is why I have to resort to the remote starter switch.Next to the Packard 352 block that the Golden Hawk carried, the Avanti engine is literally stuffed under the hood.Click image for larger version

Name:	101575858_3aNkQ-L.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	1282866
                    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    I would use a ratchet and turn the motor over by hand. It will be a lot safer and there is almost no chance of over-shoot since you can watch the timing mark come around. No idea what the Studebaker crank bolt is but its probably something decently large. A 1/2" ratchet will still do it.

Comment

just make sure you remove the coil wire if you have to do it that way.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pretty
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

More pics! I spot... a supercharger!
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The blower was a normal thing for the Studebakers actually, may have been optional but certainly not a one-off type of deal like if you see one in say a Mustang.

That said, this blower clearly feeds the devil, aka blow-thru carb. Evil them things are, evil! lol

Comment

That I will........after I remove all the SS ignition shielding Got to love the Packard 440 wires
                              Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              just make sure you remove the coil wire if you have to do it that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X