Before and after still in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before and after still in progress

Here is a few picures after my new to me car has received some long over due love. Still a lot more to come

Today I will be working on using the trashbag trick to try and remove the old window tint.
    Attached Files
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

I'll bite...trash bag trick?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

https://youtu.be/79W6Y01Cjww

Comment

Nice. Great idea because using a razor blade is out of the question.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah I was about to order a bunch of plastic razor blades and use a steamer, i am glad I found this tip on youtube.

I still have not removed the tint yet ( my back has not been up to it yet ) I will post my results when i am done.

Comment

To be honest with you I dont think anyone with a good back would be up for doing this!
            ~David~

Comment

It has been hard, my mind tells me I can do something then I try to acomplish what my mind said it was ok to do then I spend weeks on the couch not able to move and mad as hell at myself for trying.

Yet a man can only do nothing for so long without going completley nuts.

I spend most of my time on projects figuring out in my head how to acomplish what I want to do with as little pain as possible, sometimes I get lucky other times not so much. LOL

Comment

I'm waiting for Humble Mechanic to post his tint removal tricks. The old tint on the Cake is really getting roached and some is very hard to see through, so I'll be working on removing that sometime this year.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Glad you're going at it actively. I'm relatively young and in decent health(mostly) but i have no time to spend playing with my car. Your car is coming along nicely and should be ship-shape in no time. Meanwhile, my ongoing project continues to be just that. There's no rush here and no judgement, we're all just here to fuck with our silly big cars. You are most welcome to take as much time as you need friend.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    I'm waiting for Humble Mechanic to post his tint removal tricks. The old tint on the Cake is really getting roached and some is very hard to see through, so I'll be working on removing that sometime this year.
                    I sure could use some tricks to make this job easier, I did the drivers side windows yesturday.

My tint is very old using the plastic bag on them, Windex with ammonia the top clear layer came off easily. The lower tinted layer was much harder.

I had the tinted layer coming off nicley with my steamer all in one piece while I was keeping it wet with windex yet I forgot to keep the stripped glass wet and a gust of wind kicked up and pushed a large section of tint back on the glass, sticking it back on worse than before. LOL

By this time my back and neck was done and I was ready to just smash the glass clean with a hammer LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                      Glad you're going at it actively. I'm relatively young and in decent health(mostly) but i have no time to spend playing with my car. Your car is coming along nicely and should be ship-shape in no time. Meanwhile, my ongoing project continues to be just that. There's no rush here and no judgement, we're all just here to fuck with our silly big cars. You are most welcome to take as much time as you need friend.
                      Thanks

Comment

The thing about cleaning your car and doing micro projects like I have been doing, you really get to know the car and see what it needs along the way.

While stripping the tint off the drivers side windows and getting the windows super clean i was able to see all the fine scratches in the glass from all the dirt and grime built up in the felts.

I tried to clean the felts but the UV rays have taken their toll and the felt was just rubbing off. So I guess I will have to order all new window seals inside and outside, then work at polishing the glass.

Comment

Well the trash bag trick helped remove the tint yet my rear window tint was so old and fragil certian areas just pulled away easily while helping the process with a steamer yet a lot of tiny bits of tint tore off and is still stuck to the back glass.

This job was a lot harder on my neck and back than I was hoping so my next step in removing the rest of this tint will include taking it to a tint shop and making it their problem. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
                            Well the trash bag trick helped remove the tint yet my rear window tint was so old and fragil certian areas just pulled away easily while helping the process with a steamer yet a lot of tiny bits of tint tore off and is still stuck to the back glass.

This job was a lot harder on my neck and back than I was hoping so my next step in removing the rest of this tint will include taking it to a tint shop and making it their problem. LOL
                            Sometimes, this is my answer for stuff I don't want to do, like heater cores, engine swaps and clutch jobs...
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              Sometimes, this is my answer for stuff I don't want to do, like heater cores, engine swaps and clutch jobs...
                              I cannot. If I dont want to do it the likely hood of someone else not wanting to do it and do it right is far greater. I refuse. I also understand not everyone can do everything themselves and they have to have other people do it. If I am capable I am the one doing the job as no one will care and do it right like myself will.
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X