My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Whats the three dots on the differential cover?
    Some rare earth magnets. The rear axle bearing has been redone twice in recent years. I’ve changed the fluid twice since I got the wagon to flush out any metal shavings. I put the magnets there just to help capture anything floating in the fluid.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Looks like good work. Very hard to find a shop willing to do that, and furthermore at a reasonable rate.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Did a few things today.

Fixed the door handle rod on the driver's side door since it got loose and you could only open it from the inside. I adjusted the door lock rod that went to the window switch plate. It was slightly bent and wouldn't let you lock the door if the rod was attached to the little lever. I also installed a Dorman lock actuator I was given on the driver's door, too. Now I've got three doors working, just need to fix the driver side rear door and passenger front door.

I need to make up a weather barrier for the driver's door since there's a small touch of mold I have to clean off the door panel. Considering most of the weather barriers I've seen are glorified plastic sheets, I'm thinking a lawn and leaf bag could be cut in a similar shape and attached using tape. It sounds Jim Bob and The Boys like, but I'm not stumbling over any new ones and it's better than not actually having one. Maybe I'll put some sound deadener in the door too. I'm already planning on replacing the door speakers because I'm almost certain they're dead from age. I verified the hackjob of a radio harness (first owner's doing, not Nick or me) is actually hooked up and running to the doors.

I also got my E-Code headlights fitted up.

These are Autopals, essentially a Hella knockoff. Figured I'd give them a try since doing some online searches brought back modest reviews. These are not the type with the back mounted reflector, but instead where the light focusing is done on the face like a conventional DOT sealed beam. While these aren't DOT certified, they are certainly not offensive in contrast to folks who do PnP HID kits in halogen housings. I don't plan on running anything other than a traditional halogen H4 bulb in these. I did order a headlight relay harness to take the load off the factory run. I really don't expect the factory setup to hold up to the stronger load of a 55/60W bulb versus the old 55/35W H4656, and I'd rather not melt down any connectors. I only had to switch around the high beam and low beam feeds on the connectors since they were reversed for this configuration. Assuming that is what the harness wants, it should work properly once it's installed. I'll likely need to adjust the vertical aim some. The horizontal aim should still be good after I adjusted the headlights last time.

Spoke with the guy who is having his Mustang's engine built. That project is nearing completion and he may have his car home next week. If everything works out, hopefully he and I can work out a shipping option so I can get the parts I need to fix the engine properly.

My Cars:
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

If those are as good as the hellas you should be very happy. They shoot the light mostly straight ahead with limited height and to the right with increased height. This works out really nice and tends not to blind oncoming traffic and someone ahead of you, unless you are in England.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'd go for some Tyvek house wrap if you can find a small piece. Its a lot tougher than plastic bags. You want something thicker than a lawn bag if you're going plastic. If it stretches it usually doesn't cut very nicely.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

For a moisture barrier, I use the plastic mylar that boats are wrapped up with for storage. My neighbor has a boat and let me have his wrappings. Nice sturdy stuff. Perfect for car doors.

Comment

I appreciate the advice about the moisture barrier materials. It really needs something so it doesn’t ruin the door panels. I know Nick replaced them the first time because the original ones were ruined.

My Cars:

Comment

boat wrap is excellent stuff. Just don't apply a heat gun. Its a shrinking film, so adding heat will make it pull.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I used some semi thick brown paper and covered it in clear contact paper ages ago. I package tape it into place on the door. Simple and been working for me.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The original stuff was basically kraft paper with some sort of coating to make it moisture resistant. Probably could duplicate it with spray varnish. Lincolns used a thin closed cell foam. Many later cars use a decently thick plastic sheet. Lots of things you can use, it just has to be thin and not let moisture through.

Comment

Got my headlight relay harness installed since I didn't intend on trying to make H4 bulbs work on the factory wiring, especially with the high beams on considering the H4 bulb cycles to 60W versus the H4656 that goes down to 35W with the high beams. I got the aim checked out, but didn't get any good pictures as bad weather started rolling in. The E-Codes and the relay upgrade really helped out with the light output. I'm sure even just the relay upgrade alone would have been rather useful, but I wanted an improvement in the beam pattern.

I guess next week I'll tackle the moisture barrier and door speakers since I'll have some time off.

My Cars:

Comment

Not to make more work for you or anything...just wondering if you know about the one touch up/down mod that can me done? Something that can be done while door panel is off and you have some time. Years back I used to make kits. Still running a pair in the VICs doors. Neat thing to add to the car and not hard to do at all.
                          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            Not to make more work for you or anything...just wondering if you know about the one touch up/down mod that can me done? Something that can be done while door panel is off and you have some time. Years back I used to make kits. Still running a pair in the VICs doors. Neat thing to add to the car and not hard to do at all.
                            I’m not aware of it, but my curiosity is piqued. It’s fairly nice to have.

My Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                              I’m not aware of it, but my curiosity is piqued. It’s fairly nice to have.

More info here...and even more linked within that thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post560735
                              ~David~

Comment

Do those fancy lamps have the Hoppy aiming tits on them?

hm, that sounds dirtier than it needs to.

Comment

Working...
                                X