No announcement yet.

1989 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you might be able to use the Explorer tube, not sure if it will read accurate but worst case you can just re-scribe the lines. If you know its at the proper level just scratch a mark across the back. Next time you do an oil change put in 4 quarts, start it to charge the filter, and mark that as the "add 1 quart" line.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Awesome. Hope the maiden voyage goes well.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I unfrotunately uh massaged the old explorer tube into a a V due to rust.

Of all things missing from the 1990 town car at pull a part - it was the dipstick tube! how annoying.

I noticed there were a few 1996-01 V8 Explorers there. Some rusty garbage (yankee transplants!!!). But I did fine one nice baked 99. after using a 14mm socket, removing the nut, a few quick twists and tugs, voila I had an explorer tube and dipstick.

It does fit and measure properly in the Colony Park, but there's no real good way to mount it. Tube came from a rust free car, so no corrosion crud. So i bent the mount over to rest on an exhaust manifold stud. Car has a nice exhaust note. Ill make a better video tomorrow.
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

It certainly was a nice feeling hitting the key and magic actually happened. Definitely not the quickest engine swap on the books, but when you only get a single day once a month (or so) to help out, it tends to drag things out a bit.

Like Nick said, that engine had not been run in some time. I was quite surprised when fired right up on the first real crank, despite the fact it ran for a few seconds and shutoff. After restarting it and adjusting the timing, it stayed running (and I remembered this morning I didn't take the SPOUT out and worked against the PCM a bit and put it at 10* BTDC. I had definitely lost my edge to tiredness by that point, oops. Nick knows, so it'll be fixed before any major testing begins. The lifters certainly made some noise for a minute before they got quiet. The engine held a decently smooth idle all things considered and was allowed to fully warm up. Didn't see any coolant leaks, and oil leaks will need to be rechecked after the dipstick goes in. I stuffed a rag in the dipstick hole, but it seeped.

There's a few minor things left on the agenda, but road testing will hopefully happen sooner than later. The TV pressure was purposely bumped up as a safety measure since everything had been apart and any adjustment could have put it too low. It's easier to back off the TV pressure than put a transmission in. I also plan on futzing with the Panther vacuum tree that I adapted to the Explorer intake with a small hose. It's too far back and being a PITA, so I've got plans for that to make it cleaner. It will get a '90 fender liner so we can fit a MAF capable air cleaner should that be required. It'll also be converted to use the relay and vacuum box.

Long term a brake booster may get to go on too. Idle speed would pick up a bit when pressing on the brakes, and settle down after releasing. Figure swapping in a later dual diaphragm unit would be worthwhile in his case.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Here's one of two videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcYJr9G-15M
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

You have pockets in you door panels?
              Is that an option or a model year thing?
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                You have pockets in you door panels?
                Is that an option or a model year thing?
                1988-89 models could be had with them. I forget if it was an upper trim only thing or all trims.
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                  1988-89 models could be had with them. I forget if it was an upper trim only thing or all trims.
                  I don't know if you may appreciate door pockets like I do, but man I really miss having them with my MGM. In Finland we have a hand sized parking timer thing that always lives in the door pocket. Not with my MGM though, I kept it on the dash last summer and the damn plastic warped completely in the "hot" Finnish summer. Didn't use them for sunglasses since shutting the door smacks them around if they were there.

Naturally I will definitely not find correct color door panels w/ pockets in Finland and getting ones from across the pond is a waste of money.

Comment

The map pockets are an add-on. The door panels have punch outs to accept them. WagonMan
                    Attached Files
                    89 Colony Park
                    90 Colony Park
                    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                      The map pockets are an add-on. The door panels have punch outs to accept them. WagonMan
                      Interesting...
                      Would the pre-'88s have said punch-outs?
                      Since those pockets are removable, this might be a mod I want to do at some point, whenever I get to the point of modding my car instead of getting/keeping it running.

Comment

I checked an 86 door panel and it did not have the punch outs. Very easy to do though. WagonMan
                        89 Colony Park
                        90 Colony Park

Comment

my 88 GS has the door pockets. So it was probably a model year thing and didn't matter the trim. I think premium sound with the door speakers didn't get the pockets though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes they did! Speaker grill is tucked inside the map pocket! WagonMan
                            89 Colony Park
                            90 Colony Park

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                              Yes they did! Speaker grill is tucked inside the map pocket! WagonMan
                              Even better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Here's a couple of more videos from the actual first start up with Zach and myself:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpY8unyyr7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XqakdURu4
                                -Nick M.
                                Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
                                X