No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats what it shows for 82-85. I think its the same part on carb and CFI cars. SEFI stuff uses a different part which is curiously not actually listed for unknown reasons. Basically the C shaped bit where it goes over the throttle cable is rotated 90 degrees because of the way the cables sit relative to one another and the stud for the throttle body.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      not sure of a source but it looks like the connector block thing is E25Y-9C876-A and the clip is E1FZ-9D726-B

dump valve is easiest to check from the engine bay. If you look at the side of the cruise servo you'll see a Y shaped fitting on it. One hose goes from the back to the front side of the servo, the other vanishes someplace else. That "someplace else" is the dump valve. Unhook the hose and see if it holds vacuum. If it does its good. If not, make sure its pushed far enough into the bracket that the button is pushed in by the brake pedal.
      One thing I found interesting reading up on the dump valve in the shop manual is its placement in relation to the adapter it hits on the brake pedal. If positioned to close under temperature changes the brake lights may actually turn on as the valve is pushing the pedal away. I don't buy it, but it was worth mentioning in the manual so who the hell knows.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah there is some small gap between the face of the valve and the back of the pedal specified. I forget what it is, probably like 2 matchbooks thick or something.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The dump valve holds vacuum. I only gave it about 5 InHg since I don't want to break anything.
          Atleast that's good.
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Is there anything in literature about the cruise control adjustment?
            I was thinking about using zipties or strong tape to attach the shafts together, with maybe a rubber piece inbetween so the cruise shaft won't crack against the metal throttle shaft and the angle wouldn't be as sharp.

Comment

yes, but basically you set the cruise cable for no slack. Too tight and it will hold the throttle open at idle, too loose and it picks up speed when you set it.

I don't see tape or zip ties holding that as solidly as it needs to be held for proper functionality.

Comment

Here's how I attached the cruise shaft, just trying it out.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20200603_170743.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1287096
                One ziptie wouldn't really be tight enough so the shaft wouldn't slip, but another one behind it made it pretty sturdy. Only thing I'm considering is the angle of the cable, especially with more open throttle. The cable might bind up there.
                I'll have to attach the plug to the servo tomorrow and take it for a spin. Just "ON" and "SET" to activate, right?

AC clutch and rad hose are here most likely tomorrow.
                Last edited by Arquemann; 06-03-2020, 10:38 AM. Reason: maybe add the pic yeh?

Comment

Yes. though I have a habit of on set then on again though it actually does nothing after you hit set as it is the final command.

Be above 35 mph or whatever that is in Finnish.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The cruise works mint!
                    35mph is 56 km/h and a pretty usual speed limit is 60km/h so it's juuust fine.
                    I might revise the attachment method, but it works.

On the test drive the car decided to randomly shut off approaching an intersection (cruise wasn't on at all). I cranked and cranked and it wouldn't fire back up. Waited about 15 seconds or so and it fired pretty much as usual.

Comment

that kind of dying is typically the ignition module.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Drove around some more today, didn't shut off. Maybe that was just a random occurrence. Last time I had the hood open in the rain for a while when plugging in the cruise servo, and I drove in the rain, if that makes any difference.
                        It has rained a lot in the last few days, I can confidently say that the trunk doesn't anymore where I sealed it (three times)! Except now I noticed a leak from under the taillight holes, and it's crusty.

The AC clutch and rad hose have been stuck in the Fedex warehouse since wednesday, when I paid the duties. Maybe they'll get going tomorrow, since it's monday.

I've been pondering on the direction I want to take this car...
                        The more I look at photos on the interweb, the less difference I see between tire sizes.
                        I'd like an old-school look with thick meats and 15's. Then again, bigger wheels don't look that big on these boxes.

I've got these 14" Chrome reverses.

Name:	20200524_134051.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1287103
                        With the 14's, it would definitely need some lowering springs 2-4 inches maybe. Also 14" tires are hard to find nowadays and are kinda expensive.
                        I'd like to go with ~245 width, as the rims are wider than stock.
                        How much do lowering springs affect the ride? I'd like a little less body roll...
                        I'm not looking for a "handling" car but some corners frighten me and make passenger pale.

15's would keep that classic old-school look and tire selection is okay. American racing outlaws, slot mags, centerline auto drags..

Or I could go with some cool wheels in 17's or 18's. Kinda indifferent about torq thrusts.
                        This pic of knucklehead's Vic was nice, those are 18's right? They don't even look that big.

Name:	20150815_093008.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1287104
                        Bigger wheels would offer more and cheaper tire options and would affect the handling in a somewhat positive way.
                        Only con I can think of is tire clearance, I remember knucklehead mentioning some rub on his setup.

Random pics I found and kinda liked:

Name:	23946630001_large.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1287105 Click image for larger version

Name:	b9a62f0575e948728f3ecfc431ab5efc.jpg
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	1287106 Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1287107 Click image for larger version

Name:	1091.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1287108

Comment

The last three photos are definitely members cars. I liked the wheels on the tan vic ALOT. When he was parting/selling the car out (yes it came to that)I wanted the wheels bad. Then I was ghosted. lol
                          ~David~

Comment

A heavy rear sway bar will flatten out the ride without making it harsh. any sway is better than no sway. If you go too big on the rear you might need to upsize the front so the car is balanced in a slide rather then too much over or understeer.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Random shut offs are usually grounding issues or flaky connectors. Had that issue with the TFI module connector on the Mad Marquis (88 MGM) I used to have and fixed it by pushing it full on and putting a zip tie around the clip to force it back into shape flush against the module instead of bowed out a little which allowed the connector to slip off just enough to make the connections not very good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Not a fan of small wheels with big tires. Its like driving on marshmallows. These things wallow enough, don't need a big mushy sidewall to make it worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X