Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D9S would be the plug and play ECM. The stock ECM will NOT run the HO engine.

Also, you'll want to replace the shift governor in the transmission and the torque converter with a 2300-2500 (or up to 2800) stall converter or it'll be an even bigger slug off the line until you get into the 2500+ RPM power band of the HO.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think I can get the tranny as well. It's an aod I think I read stall is 1600 to 2200 in it stock. Thought it would be good fit but not against upgrade.
      1991 lx. Grandmas car. 80k. Garage queen

Comment

I have a Mustang 'vert in the Megamerc, I never drove it w/the stock one so I can't give a comparison. Theory would hold that the stall would be higher in a heavier car.
        Last edited by mitymerc; 01-25-2019, 01:18 AM. Reason: speeling

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

reasonably sure they all got the same converters, even though a higher stall would be more appropriate for the HO engine. The low rpm torque production is not very good with the stock HO. They don't "turn on" till about 2500 rpm.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Question about Valve covers.
            I'm kinda fond of the original '86 valve covers that I have. I'm sure the oil filler on the passenger side won't jive with the Explorer upper.
            So.. Has anyone found a decent solution for this.?
            I've read on a few other threads that there have been issues.
            Ideas.?
            Pix.??
            Thanks.
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

The Explorer upper should clear the filler. We used the regular ‘86-‘91 valve covers on TecNickal’s Explorer swap and it fit fine.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Stock valve covers should be fine. If you really need more clearance, use a cutoff wheel to slice about halfway through on the front side of the fill neck about 1/4" above the cover, tap it forward until the gap closes. Widen the slot as needed until it fits, then just weld the fill tube back up.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I already posted in another forum about an intake swap, but I haven't been able to find a solid writeup on swapping a better upper/lower/throttle body onto an otherwise stock 1987 Grand Marquis 5.0. So I thought maybe this thread would be a great place. I've still got all my smog stuff, but the tubes to the exhaust are pinched/welded shut. I just had the exhaust done and it's stock manifolds, 2 inch catless downpipes going to 2.5 inch true duals with a glasspack on each side. Ran all the way out the back.
                  My stock cats were clogged, and I'll probably get headers so I can have 2.5 inch downpipes. I know the stock lopo doesn't need that. But I'd rather be ready for upgrades as I go and start from the outside in. Especially at 85k original miles.

Comment

You can run a stock HO upper and throttle body on your current lower (they are the same). Get your EGR spacer bored to match. Keep the stock computer and all with this setup. Don’t expect huge gains.

You can do more but with an an otherwise stock long block, it’s not much to be gained. The cam and the heads are the real bottle necks.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

honestly there isn't much advantage to a better intake on an otherwise stock motor. People have put Explorer intakes on and it lost low end torque without gaining much on the top end. The HO upper and throttle body is really the only thing you want to do with it. Beyond that its just money and tears until the heads are upgraded.

Removing the H pipe also doesn't do you any favors.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        You can run a stock HO upper and throttle body on your current lower (they are the same). Get your EGR spacer bored to match. Keep the stock computer and all with this setup. Don’t expect huge gains.

You can do more but with an an otherwise stock long block, it’s not much to be gained. The cam and the heads are the real bottle necks.
                        Honestly, I just want it to be a bit more responsive. I know I won't see the difference I did on a Chevy smallblock in a '72 C10 when I went from a 2bbl to a 4bbl carb and 2.25 inch true dual exhaust. But, anything would be nice until I delegate it as the car to be taken apart. Right now that's a '77 Plymouth Volare with a (mostly) built 318 in it.

I did plugs and wires on it last night, autolite plugs so maybe they'd been changed before, but the plug wires said 1987 on them, so they were on it when the car rolled out of the factory for sure. That made it more responsive immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          honestly there isn't much advantage to a better intake on an otherwise stock motor. People have put Explorer intakes on and it lost low end torque without gaining much on the top end. The HO upper and throttle body is really the only thing you want to do with it. Beyond that its just money and tears until the heads are upgraded.

Removing the H pipe also doesn't do you any favors.
                          Yeah, I'd eventually want to do heads, but don't want to take it that far apart right now. Kinda gathering parts/doing small stuff first.

I've never ran an H or X pipe or any kind of crossover on a v8 engine. Even in 600-700 horsepower applications, never had an issue. Besides, it gets in the way of dropping transmissions, driveshafts, etc. And no cross pipe always sounds better, people always wonder why my engines don't sound like all the rest.

Comment

The H pipe actually flows better than straight duals, makes more torque. personally I think it sounds better but thats entirely subjective.

Comment

H, X balance the exhaust pulses for better scavaging.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryMcMuffin View Post
                                Honestly, I just want it to be a bit more responsive. I know I won't see the difference I did on a Chevy smallblock in a '72 C10 when I went from a 2bbl to a 4bbl carb and 2.25 inch true dual exhaust. But, anything would be nice until I delegate it as the car to be taken apart. Right now that's a '77 Plymouth Volare with a (mostly) built 318 in it.

I did plugs and wires on it last night, autolite plugs so maybe they'd been changed before, but the plug wires said 1987 on them, so they were on it when the car rolled out of the factory for sure. That made it more responsive immediately.
                                I'd recommend the HO upper intake and throttle body as well. It'll be a tad more responsive, but the biggest thing (in my experience), is that you'll gain some top end power that was never there before.
                                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X