No announcement yet.

85 Grand Marq Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few updates, adjusted the front bumper, as Dave pointed out, it was way too high on the pass side. Replaced a few of the fish bowled headlights as well. Gave the entire car a light buff, it could use some more, but cleans up decent. Removed the awful tint that was on it. Threw on the old Torq Thrust off the HPP box circa 2012.

The PO did true duals with asspacks, not my style, but they work for now. The cats were deleted in the process, so a good excuse to do a full smog pump delete. It had new plugs, but old wires, threw on a MSD cap and rotor, a MSD coil, and Ford racing wires I had laying around. Semi pointless, but at the least they dress up the engine bay a bit. Also tightened up the wiring under the hood a bit. Threw on a rear PI sway bar I had laying around as well. The gutless CFI wonder runs fine for now so I'll leave it be.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Did you clean up the engine bay; or did it come that way?

Comment

Engine bay looks nice indeed. Always preferred the look of CFI over SEFI. Car looks good too, almost like a different one altogether. Amazing what a set of wheels and some spitshine will do.

Good luck with that MSD coil, I've had nothing but trouble with them. In case they're still garbage, you might want to keep the factree one in the trunk.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The hilarious part about CFI is that when it runs right its SUPER smooth. Also seems to be good on fuel. Getting one thats right seems to be no trivial task though.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Looking great!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              The hilarious part about CFI is that when it runs right its SUPER smooth. Also seems to be good on fuel. Getting one thats right seems to be no trivial task though.
              As a CFI owner this is the truth. There were a couple times sitting at a light I thought the engine had stalled it was running so smooth. Getting it to that point however was definitely some work. Biggest thing is good vacuum lines and a quality timing chain. When the timing chain stretches funky things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                Did you clean up the engine bay; or did it come that way?
                It was all cleaned up when I bought it. These rust free cars always look so good under the hood. All I did was remove all the smog pump BS off the pass side inner fender, and clean up the wiring a bit.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                Engine bay looks nice indeed. Always preferred the look of CFI over SEFI. Car looks good too, almost like a different one altogether. Amazing what a set of wheels and some spitshine will do.

Good luck with that MSD coil, I've had nothing but trouble with them. In case they're still garbage, you might want to keep the factree one in the trunk.
                The CFI does look good, that's the only compliment I'll give it. The wheels and a quick buff did wonders though!
                As for the coil, that one has at least 50k miles on it. It lived on the old battle wagon most of it's life, and floated around vehicles ever since. It's at least a decade old now. My buddy bought one for his Bronco many years ago, and it didn't even last a month.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                That is true for sure. My old 85 LTD ran super smooth, and got decent mpg on flat land. Once you got into the hills, or made the CFI do any sort of work, it plummeted though. The SEFI HO conversion I did on it make it 100x better.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Looking great!
                Thanks Dave! It's a simple build so far, but it's coming along I think!

Originally posted by matth825 View Post
                As a CFI owner this is the truth. There were a couple times sitting at a light I thought the engine had stalled it was running so smooth. Getting it to that point however was definitely some work. Biggest thing is good vacuum lines and a quality timing chain. When the timing chain stretches funky things happen.
                I just can't do CFI. Exhaust flappers, heat risers, high idle solenoids, I just can't do it.

If this car didn't leak a drop, I'd maybe leave it alone, but like all low mileage 36 year old cars, all it needs is everything. The engine needs a full regasketing, and there's no reason to regasket a boat anchor.
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I'm kinda in the same boat on the CFI. I've gotten mine to first run like garbage, then to like crap, to okay and now it runs about tolerably. It needs every damn vacuum hose replaced, EGR control gets brain farts constantly and makes it undriveable unless unhooked. High idle mechanism is broken and probably 5 other things arent quite how they should.
                  I would've probably done SEFI already if the parts were available here.

But hey my CFI boat anchor has run smooth as butter atleast, like 7 times. That was cool.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Glad you got a good coil. I went through two on my Fireturd. When the second one almost got me killed, I was done. So it's got an MSD ignition box, billet dizzy and matching MSD wires yet factory coil..
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I had an MSD coil on my ‘95 Cobra that died a very slow death over the course of about five years. It started around 2012 as a momentary throttle blip that would occur randomly. It progressed to a blip that occurred a few times every time I drove it. It finally got to the point where the car would sputter and had no acceleration. Put a new Motorcraft coil in it around 2017 and it’s been fine ever since.
                      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

PI front sway bar is on. Had new poly end links laying around, just had to buy new bushings. Also grabbed the wagon/90+ "frame braces" off the old 87 wagon frame. Both got a quick scuff and shoot before going on the car.

Replaced the dirty A/F with a fram RA $2 closeout.
                        Replaced the original belts (factory motorcraft's) that were really rough with some really cheap $5 closeout Prestone belts from RA. (never even knew they made belts) The typical 560k6 smog pump delete belt was extremely tight to get on, had to cheat it quite a bit.

Forgot how insanely gutless CFI cars were. It runs decent but can't get out of it's own way. My Super Duty with this car on a trailer behind it would run circles around it. It cruises nice though and gets a lot of looks + thumbs up's at least.

Comment

The Mercury looks fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            The Mercury looks fantastic.
                            Thanks! The car certainly falls under the "far from perfect, but perfect from afar" rule.
                            Trying to not make a project out of it, but I have a really hard time not modifying things. The fact that my boat anchor is leaking various fluids makes it even harder to not just rip the entire drivetrain out right now.

Comment

After driving this to work a few times, I knew something wasn't right power wise. I remember my old 85 CFI vic being slow, but not "scary to merge on to the thruway" slow. Soon as this car hit 3rd, it was like an anchor was thrown out the window. It otherwise ran great, a little surging/hesitation from time to time, but nothing unexpected, ran smooth for the most part.

I figured the timing had to be off, a quick look at the distributor showed a new aftermarket TFI module, other wise looked factory. Cleaned up the balancer, drew some fresh lines (no one had ever marked it before that I could tell) and busted out the timing light. Sure as shit, with the SPOUT unplugged (is it still called the spout on CFI cars? I forget) timing wasn't at the usual 10* BTDC, but at 10* ATDC! No wonders it was so damn slow. Adjusted it to 14* BTDC and holy shit, I think I doubled the horsepower of this thing. Drives just as good as any SEFI lopo I've ever owned. Had to turn the curb idle back down since it was way to high after, but man does this car run good now!

Comment

Can vouch for mistimed lopo falling to the nopo level. Glad you got this one moved up!
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X