• Show
Clear All

Yeah, I am going to do that, I was just pissed lol

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

So looking at the proportioning valve, its in bad shape and the fittings for the front brakes look like they will round out much like the other end....on a postive note looks like the rear brake lines have been done, or at least they are in much better condition. Google searchs came up kinda short on a new one....would this work?:
      https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...es,296892.html

Comment

Well, from bad, to worse, to worse.
        I was able to take my wheel shroud off with very limited damage. I had full access to the proportioning valve. I was gentle, I PB Rrrrd to the Nth degree, I waited, I applied heat...., There is no way the lines are coming out of that valve, in fact, a brake line broke with the fuel line nut still in the valve. Needless to say I am out of four letter words for the month.

Can I cut out all the lines in good spots, so I can splice new ones in? Still not sure on a source for a proportioning valve. We do this for fun.....right?
        Last edited by Grand1; 06-03-2021, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Contact wagonman for a good proportioning valve. I would not splice brake lines. In some States, that is not legal.

Comment

Will do, he seems to have everything.... and your right might as well replace everything at this stage. Nothing beats tbe structural integrity of a complete line.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
              I would not splice brake lines. In some States, that is not legal.
              Interesting, I didn't know that. I think every vehicle I own at this point has patched brake lines thanks to road salt.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Well the proportional valve is definely toast. Was able to get the fuel nut off the broken line and plug it for the time being. It has a decent leak from another fitting now. Wagon man doesnt have any in stock right now, so I will be learning shortly if the Speedway valve will work. Since all the lines are gonna be redone, might as well and replace the master cylinder.....which leaves the brake booster as literally the last part not be replaced. The positive through all of this is that it has been baptism by fire about brakes, learned alot.

Comment

I always change the vacuum booster with the master cylinder.Parts have to have a lifetime warranty though. It saves doing the job twice. I can keep my eye out for a valve. If you have a part number on it, post it. I am sure you could get one via Car-part.com. out west. until you can get a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                    Interesting, I didn't know that. I think every vehicle I own at this point has patched brake lines thanks to road salt.
                    I am fairly sure the legality issue applies specifically to compression fittings as a brake line repair, which I believe is considered to be not legal everywhere that regulations exist surrounding the topic at all.

If you were to repair a brake line by flaring the end and using a union, there is no functional deficiency that I can imagine unless the line that was left in place was iffy...as for legality, I'm not so sure. It would pass a safety here and Ontario is really picky about stuff, regulating down to the number of drips of a particular diameter over a fixed amount of time that are allowable leaks for various fluids...(easily flammable ones such as power steering allow zero leak of any amount over any time, brake fluid of course also allows no leak over any amount of time).

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                    master cylinder
                    If you are replacing the master, you can take care of this problem by doing what I did with my wagon. Go to a newer master cylinder from one of the years that still has disc/drum, but which does not have the frame-mounted demonic garbage valve. I did that specifically to delete the valve. I'll dig for the parts combo I used. If you're hellbent on keeping the OE design I have at least one of those valves kicking around somewhere but I'd really suggest just not doing that.
                    Last edited by kishy; 06-04-2021, 11:13 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I did purchase a booster and master might as well. I gave Summit a call and this universal valve will work....we shall see.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...QaApVXEALw_wcB

Damn kish, just saw your post.... I have a master cylinder by raybestos( mc39531 part number ) sitting in my garage and actually was looking at replacing it as they look damn similar .... but crossed reffed the part number and didnt see the 79 listed, I deep sixed the idea.

....and yes I exercised that demon valve with four letter words
                      Last edited by Grand1; 06-05-2021, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Damn kish, just saw your post.... I have a master cylinder by raybestos( mc39531 part number ) sitting in my garage and actually was looking at replacing it as they look damn similar .... but crossed reffed the part number and didnt see the 79 listed, I deep sixed the idea.

....and yes I exercised that demon valve with four letter words
                        Ah, well...fixing it "properly" isn't a bad thing.

For reference if it comes up again, the master I used was an Autospecialty M81052, which is no longer sold.
                        If you look up a '91 Grand Marquis, you will find options for "police" or "HD" and also for not police or HD. You also find options for including a reservoir or not; for a retrofit like this, you need the reservoir as you have no existing one to swap over.
                        Some of them have a total of two outlets, some of them have a total of three outlets. There is not much consistency, some brands the police one is 2 ports, some brands the non-police one is 2 ports. If you get the 2 port one, you have to use an external splitter (nothing fancy, just turns one line into two) for the front brakes. If you get the 3 port one, you run both front brakes directly to the master. The rear will require a "proportioning" or "residual pressure" valve (depends who you ask as to what it's called) which threads in directly; I got mine from a junkyard as the new ones didn't come with it.

You also need to junkyard (or otherwise) source the low fluid level sensor which clips into the master and make a minor wiring connection to attach that sensor to the wiring that used to go to the switch on the valve. Not a big deal really.

These masters use metric threads for the flare nuts and bubble flares. On the late boxes that actually came with these things, it's a little piece of trivia...the other ends of the brake lines use double flares and SAE fittings, but the master cylinder end is all metric. Of course, 3/8 and M10 are close enough that someone not paying attention can put a 3/8 flare nut into the M10 hole, and if you crank it down tight enough, the double flare will seal by digging into the bubble flare seat, so it ends up working even though it shouldn't. In my relatively earlier days of wrenching I did exactly this thing to my 91.
                        Last edited by kishy; 06-05-2021, 12:44 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

Well the proportional valve is definely toast. Was able to get the fuel nut off the broken line and plug it for the time being. It has a decent leak from another fitting now. Wagon man doesnt have any in stock right now, so I will be learning shortly if the Speedway valve will work. Since all the lines are gonna be redone, might as well and replace the master cylinder.....which leaves the brake booster as literally the last part not be replaced. The positive through all of this is that it has been baptism by fire about brakes, learned alot.
                          I have located a nos proportioning valve. You have a pm.

Comment

Thanks!

And finally some progress.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210606_145123.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	1289134

Comment

I'm late to the party here but one of the methods I use to remove brake lines and their fitting is to cut the line right at the fitting and then use a six point socket on it. This is my go-to method for any line I intend on replacing. I might try a line wrench, but if there's even a wiff of rust & decades, round-off is nearly guaranteed.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

So bad lock ring? O ring got bunched?
                                Or fuel tank sending unit decayed around the edges? Drips from the very bottom. Guess I will drop it.

Anyone know a good source for new fuel tank sending units? Float is toast in this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210612_194536.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1289173
                                Last edited by Grand1; 06-12-2021, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X