No announcement yet.

My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thing with the chain on this one, it can be sloppy and won't affect how it runs all that much since the timing is triggered off the crank. The slack won't affect it. Easy enough to see if you need to worry though. Pull the distributor cap off and put a breaker bar on the crank pulley. 15/16" IIRC. Rock the crank back and forth and note how far it goes before the rotor moves. A tight chain will have very little crank movement before the rotor moves.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’ll have to give that a try when I get a chance.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I have an appointment to get the exhaust leak fixed Friday. I’ve put about 600 miles on the car so far in the two weeks I’ve had it. No leaks, trans fluid looks really good, no oil consumption granted it’s a little early to tell. The receipt I have from June shows that there’s just over 1,000 miles on the oil and filter. Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor were also changed back in June. Why the previous owner spent the money on a K&N oil filter but didn’t replace the filthy and undersized air filter I’ll never know.

Everything seems to be going good other than that issue I had from the fuel pump inertia switch. My NOS one showed up this morning and I got it installed. The old one was so bad you could tap it with your hand and trip it.

I noticed “Made in England” on both the original and replacement switch. I’m thinking Lucas? No wonder it was an issue, I also recall that gadget73 was having issues with his at the last ScottFest I made it to, 2015 if I recall correctly?

I really need to stop treating this thing like it’s my daily, but it’s just so nice to drive.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Turns out my problem was actually the connector. I got another inertia switch from the yard because I thought that was it, but the plug fell apart when I went to change it. The terminals were cooked. Changed the plug and the switch and it's been fine since.

I like cars that *could* be used as a daily if needed. means they are reliable enough to actually use instead of look at.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Had the exhaust leak fixed today. They replaced the passenger side air pipe for the smog pump. I ordered that through work, my cost was about $25. Also got a new muffler and tail pipe, everything else was good. Shop cost was $75 and it doesn’t sound like a farm truck anymore.

​

Comment

Does anyone here know for sure whether or not all Mark VI’s came with the turn signal lenses with the Lincoln emblem in them?

Mine don’t have them so I’m figuring they’re an aftermarket replacement, then again I also know that little things changed on the Mark VI between 1980-83.

​

Comment

I got an answer to my last question from gadget73 over on LincolnsOnline.

But I have another question, this one about A/C. I haven't messed with an A/C system in about 10 years and even then I only so so knew what I was doing. I noticed while sitting in line at a drive through tonight for between 5 and 10 minutes that the A/C compressor never cycled on/off it just ran constantly. Is this normal or is it a sign that the system could be over filled? My '88 MGM used to cycle a fair bit but at the same time I don't know if that was right. I could never tell what was going on with the newer panthers like my '02 LSE because you can't really tell that the compressor is running unless your watching it.
                Last edited by mercurygm88; 07-18-2021, 10:10 PM.

​

Comment

On hot days, the A/C compressor will seldom cycle, if at all. When it’s a bit milder you’ll catch more normal cycling activity.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                    On hot days, the A/C compressor will seldom cycle, if at all. When it’s a bit milder you’ll catch more normal cycling activity.
                    Thanks, that was quick.

​

Comment

Yah, what K wolf said. You know it's probably good if it's hot as balls yet the compressor never cycles, at least at idle. If is cycling, probably low and or other issues lurking. Not an A/C guy, but like the Lynyrd Skynyrd song, I know a little.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        Yah, what K wolf said. You know it's probably good if it's hot as balls yet the compressor never cycles, at least at idle. If is cycling, probably low and or other issues lurking. Not an A/C guy, but like the Lynyrd Skynyrd song, I know a little.
                        Good to know, it was about 85 degrees with equal humidity.

​

Comment

there is a temperature vs cycles per minute chart in the service manuals but generally over 80 or so it runs pretty steady, especially at idle.

Comment

So I'm trying to narrow down this random no start issue. The car always ends up starting eventually and once it's running it's good, and will re start just fine if I shut it off. The issue seems to arise after it sits for 8 plus hours. I've determined that any time it happens I do in fact have spark, I also know that the fuel pump is running. My guess is that when the car sits all of the fuel in the lines runs back to the tank, and when I go to start it I have to refill the entire fuel line from tank to engine. So I guess my big question is what is supposed to keep fuel from returning to the tank when the car isn't running? I'm thinking that is what I need to look into.

​

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, and I very well could be, the check valve is part of the pump itself.
                              If you can reproduce the issue every time in the morning or after the car has been sitting try turning the key multiple times to the run position but not as far as the start position. After doing that several time the pump should prime the lines and if it starts right up then your suspicion of fuel would be confirmed. This assumes you have an electric in-tank pump like the sefi boxes up to '89 that I'm used to dealing with, which I'm pretty sure it does.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                                If I'm not mistaken, and I very well could be, the check valve is part of the pump itself.
                                If you can reproduce the issue every time in the morning or after the car has been sitting try turning the key multiple times to the run position but not as far as the start position. After doing that several time the pump should prime the lines and if it starts right up then your suspicion of fuel would be confirmed. This assumes you have an electric in-tank pump like the sefi boxes up to '89 that I'm used to dealing with, which I'm pretty sure it does.
                                That's what I've been doing and it's been working but it's still annoying. The issue isn't always repeatable at the same intervals. Usually it takes 8+ hours until I have the issue, yesterday it was about 20 minutes after I shut the car off, today about 2 hours. Yet I let it sit for over 12 hours last night and it fired right up when I went to work this morning. Other times it's gone up to 3 days without giving me an issue.

According to the records I have the pump was replaced about 15,000 miles ago, but that was also back in 2002. I have service records going back to 1985 with no apparent gaps showing that this car has 33,000 mile on it. The title says 132,000 because either someone didn't know or the title department pulled their typical crap with 5 digit odometers. Ohio usually doesn't do a forced mileage discrepancy but it can happen. All of our title departments/registration offices are privately owned and run now and none of them seem to know what's going on.

I have no intention of replacing the fuel pump unless I absolutely have too, I wonder if there is a simple way to get the pump to continuously run when the key is in the run position? Or if that would negatively affect anything?
                                Last edited by mercurygm88; 07-20-2021, 04:10 PM.

​

Comment

Working...
                                X