How different is 90+ carpet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How different is 90+ carpet?

Anyone use 90+ carpet in an earlier model Ford for Merc?

I need a carpet for my 88 wagon and the junkyard has a 90 sedan with clean guts in the correct color.

I checked ACC's catalog and I don't trust what I found (which was 1987-1991 wagon carpet is a single application, separate from sedan).
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

The only thing I noticed from 1990 on Ford carpet is the quality. It is not as thick as pre 1990. With ACC, I do not like their quality or fit.Their standard carpet is total garbage. The upgrade carpet is acceptable but not as good as the original Ford carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      The only thing I noticed from 1990 on Ford carpet is the quality. It is not as thick as pre 1990. With ACC, I do not like their quality or fit.Their standard carpet is total garbage. The upgrade carpet is acceptable but not as good as the original Ford carpet.
      I remember you mentioning that the ACC replacement stuff isn't as good as stock, which is part of my reason for considering this carpet. For the $15 it's going to cost, I am going to go for it.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

The floor pan did change in 1990 but I don't know exactly how different it is. Something about the seat rails don't match up but the finer points, no idea. Isn't wagon rear seat area different than sedan anyway?

I bought the ACC floor mats for my Continental and I sprung for the better carpet. They're balding faster than I am. Not impressed.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can't help with the 89-to-90 changes, but as for wagon vs sedan, I have junkyard 87 Mercury sedan carpet in my 85 Ford wagon. I encountered no fitment problems. There is no difference that I noticed/could detect in the rear seat area of the floor pan between the sedan and wagon, with the obvious exception of what happens below and behind the rear seat back itself. But the seat bottom appears to interchange and all dimensions as relating to carpet seemed compatible.

I may have been imagining things but it seemed like the Mercury carpet is higher pile. Compared against the 84 Lincoln where it is dramatically more plush, I would call the Mercury only subtly more plush than the Ford. But my original carpet was beyond pooched so it wasn't a great reference point.
          Last edited by kishy; 09-15-2021, 12:08 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

MGM LS models got "18 ounce cut-pile carpeting" as standard, but it was an option on GS and other lower trims I think. 16 ounce for those.
            I'd guess Ford models got the 16 ounce aswell or something even worse.
            https://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/me...m/bilder/7.jpg
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
            1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Not to thread steal...anyone try aero vinyl or carpeting in a box? https://www.stockinteriors.com/molde...YaAj3iEALw_wcB

I need new rubber/vinyl flooring but as far as i know don't make them for a box
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                ...I bought the ACC floor mats for my Continental and I sprung for the better carpet. They're balding faster than I am. Not impressed.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                  Not to thread steal...anyone try aero vinyl or carpeting in a box? https://www.stockinteriors.com/molde...YaAj3iEALw_wcB

I need new rubber/vinyl flooring but as far as i know don't make them for a box
                  ACC makes a rubber vinyl flooring. 40 mil. thick. There seems to be several part numbers for the LTD/CV application. Here are a few numbers. I would check carefully. 21423-340, 2209-340, 2208-340.
                  Ebay has some. Listing # 181477301267 $239.
                  Also be careful that the application is not for the mini ltd. In the application listing if it shows a 2.3 or 3.8 motor as one option, it is not for your car.
                  Last edited by Mainemantom; 09-15-2021, 11:17 PM.

Comment

My only useful thing to add at this point: I checked in the master parts catalog and it seems that all carpet was the same from wagon to either 2D or 4D sedans. I was hoping for that and kishy seems to have confirmed.

I stumbled on this CVN thread about the rubber mats. https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...Number=3931378

That thread confirms there is a different part number for 90 carpet. But it's probably close enough...

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Thanks for the good info Tiggie. I printed it for future info.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                        ACC makes a rubber vinyl flooring. 40 mil. thick. There seems to be several part numbers for the LTD/CV application. Here are a few numbers. I would check carefully. 21423-340, 2209-340, 2208-340.
                        Ebay has some. Listing # 181477301267 $239.
                        Also be careful that the application is not for the mini ltd. In the application listing if it shows a 2.3 or 3.8 motor as one option, it is not for your car.
                        Oh wow, thanks!
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                        X