No announcement yet.

Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My insurance company will consider your car an antique at 25yo for insurance purposes, which drops the insurance rates radically on that vehicle. But it can't be your primary vehicle, and you must park it in a locked garage when not in use. No real restrictions (at least none that affect me), if I want to take a road trip to visit my cousin in the US with it, no problem. There is a yearly mileage limit, but its high enough I'd never see it. Something to check into if you have more than one car and have restrctive classic/antique plate requirements.

If you want antique tags here, you get lower registration fees (well they did do away with registration fees last year, not holding my breath that will last), but you are restricted out the wazoo if you want antique plates. Not worth it if you like to drive whatever car you want to work, grocery store, etc on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
      I was just looking into this as we're about to move to San Antonio. I thought the antique plates were more like every other state's classic plates with restrictions on where and how often you can drive. Whereas Texas classic plates were just another custom plate, or you had the option of using an old plate from the same year as your car, but the vehicle still paid the same registration and inspection fees as ever other vehicle.
      Still have mileage restrictions with classic plates. Antique is super restrictive. To shop or show only.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Georgia allows anything 25 and older to receive "Antique/Hobby" tags, but it cost $40 annually to renew instead of $20. I think on top of that you've got to pay the manufacturing fee, plus specialty tag fee, and renewal when you get it, so I think it's closer to $75 the first year. No restrictions or anything though, you just drive how you please.

A few years back they also upped the year of manufacture date for using old license plates to cars made up to 1989. That doesn't cost anything extra per year, you've just got to get a signed form from the DMV indicating that's the tag to be displayed and you keep the form and current issue plate inside the car somewhere. I did that on the wagon, and even my registration card shows the "authentic" plate along side the current issue one. I think the YOM plate is more interesting anyway than just the "Antique/Hobby" plate. Again with that program, there's also no restrictions for mileage or anything.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Twenty-five years here in Michigan. Although I fall under the group gadget mentioned, despite owning one myself and liking the cars. I have a tough time reminding myself that "twenty years" ago no longer takes me back to the mid '90's.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

NY seems to add an odd quirk to the use of original age specific plates. If you register the car with them after that the state owns the plates. So if you sell the car the plates must be returned to the state. If you say they are lost I believe that means they cannot be reused. However just because they are nice guys some DMV's will allow you to store these plates with them for later re-use subject to individual office guidelines.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I believe that's how collector status in MI works, so long as you're trying to use license plates with the same year as the car. When I sold my old Plymouth, I let those plates go with it along with the documentation.

Comment

Every car we owned up until the CV was carbureted. Now Putter Project is the last vehicle standing with a carb.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  My 93 is a "classic" and I could get the associated plates, but it's also my daily and they frown on that kind of use with classic/antique plates. 25 years or more in Texas.
                  Classic plates and Antique plates are two different things in Texas. Classic plates are suitable for a daily, cost the same as regular plates, and there are no particular restrictions on the use of the vehicle. Nobody will frown on you using those. You do need to submit an application to be issued the plates, and it takes a few weeks for them to come in the mail if you request new ones instead of using plates from the year of manufacture. It's been a while since I've applied for YOM plates, but I sort of remember that involved some sort of inspection that the plates were suitable for use. (Side note: I have never applied for YOM plates on anything newer than 1974, so I'm not sure whether you can do it with plates designed to stay on the car more than one year).

Antique plates are cheaper, last up to 5 years (fees are prorated; they all expire on the same day), and exempt you from annual inspections. I kinda remember you don't need a front plate, either, but don't hold me to that. With the antique plates, you are supposed to be using the vehicle only for parades, shows, and other things of that nature, so dailying the car would put you at risk for getting pulled over.

25 years or older for either plate, and they also differentiate between cars and trucks on the state-issued ones.

Comment

"Classic" cars are a concept that vary enough between jurisdictions that we could sort of say they don't really exist at all.

"Wow, that's a classic" is a remark that generally has nothing to do with the car's insurance or license plate/registration status.
                    Classic car insurance can be applied to vehicles that nobody would think to make the above remark about.
                    Classic/historical/collector car license plates carry with them a variety of restrictions and benefits, again depending on jurisdiction.

All of my vehicles are eligible for the special license plates, but don't have them because of the restrictions those plates carry with them. Would I get caught breaking the rules? Unlikely. But do I want the headache? Definitely not.
                    All of my vehicles, and me as the driver, are eligible for classic car insurance. The restrictions on this are relatively compatible with how I use my cars most of the time, and I've given it a lot of consideration, but I'm still on the fence about it. Don't want a claim being denied and policy cancelled because I decided to drive my car to work one day instead of the company vehicle.

I'm not sure how Hagerty would feel about me strapping a paddle boat to the roof of my "classic", but I feel like they might frown upon that. OTOH, if they don't receive a claim for a vinyl top and roof paint due to some mysterious thing falling on the car when I wasn't there to see what happened, is it really an issue?

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonwagon View Post
                      Classic plates and Antique plates are two different things in Texas. Classic plates are suitable for a daily, cost the same as regular plates, and there are no particular restrictions on the use of the vehicle. Nobody will frown on you using those. You do need to submit an application to be issued the plates, and it takes a few weeks for them to come in the mail if you request new ones instead of using plates from the year of manufacture. It's been a while since I've applied for YOM plates, but I sort of remember that involved some sort of inspection that the plates were suitable for use. (Side note: I have never applied for YOM plates on anything newer than 1974, so I'm not sure whether you can do it with plates designed to stay on the car more than one year).

Antique plates are cheaper, last up to 5 years (fees are prorated; they all expire on the same day), and exempt you from annual inspections. I kinda remember you don't need a front plate, either, but don't hold me to that. With the antique plates, you are supposed to be using the vehicle only for parades, shows, and other things of that nature, so dailying the car would put you at risk for getting pulled over.

25 years or older for either plate, and they also differentiate between cars and trucks on the state-issued ones.
                      You are correct. There is still a limit to mileage on Classic plates so using it as a true daily could easily exceed the limit. Also, if you read my further comments, I did differentiate that more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        You are correct. There is still a limit to mileage on Classic plates so using it as a true daily could easily exceed the limit. Also, if you read my further comments, I did differentiate that more.
                        The Classic plates themselves do not have any mileage restriction. It's just a different piece of metal to attach to your bumpers. If you get classic insurance, then the insurer might (and usually does) impose limits, but that has nothing to do with the plates. If you are aware of a limitation, please let me know where that is documented so I can stay compliant.

Section 504.501 is for classic plates, and 504.502 is for antique. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D...htm/TN.504.htm

Or see the application forms. Classic plates have only one qualification--the vehicle must be at least 25 years old. Antique plates have a much more robust certification, limiting the use and banning it from use for daily transportation.

https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...es/VTR-850.pdf
                        https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...les/VTR-54.pdf

FWIW, my Country Squire is eligible for Classic plates, but still wears the generic ones. I do have other vehicles with Classic plates or Antique plates going back more than 20 years. I have been pulled over in a vehicle registered with Antique plates on the way to a parade (not ticketed, because I happened to have a photocopy of the relevant section of the law in the car), but so far no incidents with Classic plates.

Comment

Yeah all my rides have a MI Historical plates. Nominal $35 registration fee and they don't expire for 10 years. Drive mine all over for 6 years and have never got pulled over. Law says parades, car shows....if I get pulled over, I am on my way to a car show (my other 4 cars at home). Honestly, what is the legal definition of a "car show" or parade?
                          In the month of August they give you a full month to drive it anywhere, legally.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonwagon View Post
                            The Classic plates themselves do not have any mileage restriction. It's just a different piece of metal to attach to your bumpers. If you get classic insurance, then the insurer might (and usually does) impose limits, but that has nothing to do with the plates. If you are aware of a limitation, please let me know where that is documented so I can stay compliant.

Section 504.501 is for classic plates, and 504.502 is for antique. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D...htm/TN.504.htm

Or see the application forms. Classic plates have only one qualification--the vehicle must be at least 25 years old. Antique plates have a much more robust certification, limiting the use and banning it from use for daily transportation.

https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...es/VTR-850.pdf
                            https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...les/VTR-54.pdf

FWIW, my Country Squire is eligible for Classic plates, but still wears the generic ones. I do have other vehicles with Classic plates or Antique plates going back more than 20 years. I have been pulled over in a vehicle registered with Antique plates on the way to a parade (not ticketed, because I happened to have a photocopy of the relevant section of the law in the car), but so far no incidents with Classic plates.
                            Then that's changed since I had my classic plates. Looks like it's just a vanity plate now for 25 year or older vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                              Yeah all my rides have a MI Historical plates. Nominal $35 registration fee and they don't expire for 10 years. Drive mine all over for 6 years and have never got pulled over. Law says parades, car shows....if I get pulled over, I am on my way to a car show (my other 4 cars at home). Honestly, what is the legal definition of a "car show" or parade?
                              In the month of August they give you a full month to drive it anywhere, legally.
                              I think it's one of those things they put in their pocket to use against you if they need to. When I got pulled over in my Fury, the cop made mention of it and how he was going to let me off. I don't like the idea of giving roadside tax men any more ammunition to use against me.

Comment

Working...
                              X