Setting pinion angke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting pinion angke

Has anyone set the pinion angle on their car?

Anyone make adjustable upper and lower control arms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinion angle should be parallel with the trans yoke. Preferably under designed load. That's all I know. I've never had reason to set that since I keep my stuff close to stock.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Why? Did you drastically lift or lower the car? The driveshafts on these run pretty straight in factory form, there are no extreme angles at the U-joints like what you'd see in a lifted truck for example. IIRC lifting the rear of a Panther makes the pinion point down with respect to its factory setting, and then yeah you wanna have slightly longer upper arms to bring it back to how it should be. But then again you wanna have longer lowers too so the wheel stay in the middle of the fender wheel wells.

Lowering the car MAY bring the pinion angle slightly more up than factory, but considering how many people we got on here that are running 1"-2" lower (about the most you can do and still have some up travel available for large speed bumps and such) and they don't seem to be complaining en masse from bad driveshaft vibes I'd deduct that it is not actually a problem.

AS for adjustable arms availability, look into Mustang stuff.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Generally whatever the angle is from trans yoke to driveshaft needs to be the same as the angle from drive shaft to pinion. If its not, the U joints don't run at the same rate and it vibrates. Some slight variation from that is ok but if it gets too far out of whack you'll know it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I run adjustable upper and lower control arms only part used from a mustang set of adjustables is the upper rear yoke in my case from a edelbrock kit. the mustang bolts are smaller in dia than the panther ones so had to drill the holes to a larger size. Also the mustang stuff lengths are way off.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
          X