01 TownCar won't start after fuel pump replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

01 TownCar won't start after fuel pump replacement

Posting this up for a member of my GP forum. Figured someone here would be able to shed some light on the issue and get it running again.

Okay I know this is way off topic but I really need help. I replaced the fuel pump on my buddy's 01 Lincoln Town car. It started right up. I let it run for about ten mins before turning it off. Started and turned it off about 5 times. Everything seemed fine. About 20 minutes later my friend tried to fire it up and it wouldn't start. Hasn't started again since. I can hear the pump. The relay is working the safety switch is not tripped. I checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail and I have fuel but don't know exactly how much pressure. I don't have a gauge.

I know I have spark cause when I spray starting fluid in the air box the car fires up for a second.

I have fuel at the rails and when I press the Schrader valve while someone is turning the car over fuel spits out well flies out

The pump was delphi from autozone. All the fuses in the entire car are fine.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

It's not the fuel pump. "Automotive coincidence" strikes again! "Automotive coincidence" is when your car has, lets say, started taking ten attempts at the ignition to start. Completely unrelated, you notice that the wiper blades are crusty and change them. Afterwards, your next attempt to start the car is successful on the first try. You assume the wiper blades had something to do with it, until the next time it takes ten attempts at the ignition to start. Ridiculous example, but in auto parts, I constantly heard these kinds of anecdotes. Something else is wrong with the car, the fuel pump just fooled the guy for a minute. Insufficient spark would be my guess, but that is really JUST a guess.
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Looks like you have fuel. Next is spark and sensors. Make sure the crank/cam sensors are still connected, that the coolant sensor is connected and that all the coil packs and injectors are connected. The connectors on the coil packs suck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Confirm the fuel pressure with a gauge. It might have enough to squirt, but not enough to actually fire the injectors. If it runs on starting fluid, its a fuel problem. It might be a bad TPS or other sensor causing it to not fire the injectors, but its something to do with the engine not getting go juice.

The crank sensors are somewhat known for being dumb on these. Its down near the bottom, kind of between the AC compressor and the crank pulley. Unplug it and plug it back in to see if it suddenly goes again.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^^^^Yes, all that. I hear sometimes you can whack the crank sensor and sometimes it'll work. If it does, then you definitely know that's the issue.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've relayed the info. Haven't heard back yet on if he solved it or not. I know he said he didn't have access to a mech. fuel pressure gauge and the parts store wanted $130 or so to rent a digital one. I never even knew there was a digital version, lol.. Never had a need to look since I own a mech. gauge.
            These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Thats lame. Most parts stores around here will sell you a basic mechanical gauge for under 40 bucks. Harbor Freight sells one too. Its not amazing quality, but its good enough for this job.

Hell, even one of those basic stick-type tire pressure gauges will work at least once for this task and those you can get anywhere.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, not sure what parts store he was going to. I posed the question to why he replaced the pump in the first place as they typically last a long time. My 03 Vic is still on the OE fuel pump with 178K on it and works just fine. I figure Towncars typically have less mileage given the age range that it was targeted at unless it was in livery service at some point and has a bajillion miles on it. I have a feeling this guy is just throwing parts at it and hoping something sticks without properly troubleshooting the initial issue(s). I know I'd want to be damn sure it's a bad pump before I go through the hassle of dropping the tank on a Panther platform car.

Comment

Working...
                X