This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasa-happenen-hot stuff? LoL.

How'd he get off easy? Of course he had an expensive accessory, priorities man. I heard a story from a friend that knew of four locals living in the same house. Couldn't afford the electricity bill but had the latest iPhones. Friend asked why the phones, isn't night time navigation difficult? "No, we use the flashlights on our phones."
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

What the heck? How did this get here?

Also, for cross-referencing purposes (and fond memories looking back on this thread in 40 years), my '84 Townie posed in front of Fisher Body Plant 21 has become the RockAuto featured car for February 2017.
      Last edited by kishy; 02-17-2017, 04:31 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Hideaways are awesome!

I'm guess they are vacuum actuated. I think they make electric conversion kits if needed. Vacuum is cool but they tend to open their eyes left unattended for a day.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Just a bit of an update on the 84 crashy smashy thing.

There is damage to the fender that was not readily apparent earlier, as the paint has now peeled up and rust is evident (right at the top of the fender where the corner piece got jammed into it).

Body shop, doing everything he could to keep the cost down to avoid insurance totaling the car (including such things as me bringing it in already absent of a header panel installed) couldn't get it under $1300. That's all labour and paint, only $60 of it is the repair parts (which is what they're "buying them from me" for). Most likely the car will be deemed a total loss.

I am not yet aware of that determination, it's just the likely possibility. Insurance co and body shop both know I want to keep it, irrational as it may be. We'll see what happens.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Frustrating. My car was deemed a total loss too, LoL...

Comment

Seems kinda low. That vintage goes for at least 2500 in decent shape. Even at the crappiest insurance percentage of 70% for total, you should have $1750 headroom for repairs. I'd challenge the insurance company on that angle.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                Seems kinda low. That vintage goes for at least 2500 in decent shape. Even at the crappiest insurance percentage of 70% for total, you should have $1750 headroom for repairs. I'd challenge the insurance company on that angle.
                I think the problem is that mine is in cosmetically poor condition. Clearcoat is shot on a couple panels. Otherwise the body is straight, vinyl top is intact, generally it's not an awful condition car. But it's hard to say it's worth as much as a garage kept show car.

They weren't able to tell me their value for the car because it isn't on the books due to age. Apparently it's considered on a case by case basis which is where the comparable thing kinda goes out the window. Hoping for the best, of course.

The problem in my eyes, really, is that I can not buy another 80-87 (won't touch 88/89 due to emissions testing) for cheap enough to be made whole again. I'm hoping that argument is what will save me here.

Regardless of what happens, that Mark VI header panel is going on a Lincoln that I currently own or will own in the future. It's gonna happen.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

My car was kept in a heated garage all of it's life up until I got it. Pristine condition aside from some wear on the driver's side interior door panel. Progressive valued it at $2,400.

Comment

Authorized by insurance, no write-off!

There will be a mixture of labour split between me and the body shop (I offered this to keep the estimate low enough to not total the car), but she's getting her face fixed!

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Excellent! Looking forward to pics of the make-over.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice! You lucky bastard. Glad to hear that baby will be back in shape though. Cheers buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                            Authorized by insurance, no write-off!

There will be a mixture of labour split between me and the body shop (I offered this to keep the estimate low enough to not total the car), but she's getting her face fixed!
                            I didn't even think to try that. Well, they only wanted to fix the damaged areas when mine was hit and so I did cough up more dough to just redo each side. The whole estimate though was considerable more than I paid for the car.

Comment

Last night, I did some stuff. These cars come apart so easily.

File these under "just because you can, doesn't mean you should":

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Will the Town Car grille fit in place of the Mark IV one? I like the look.

Comment

Working...
                                X