Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking Down an Oil Leak. Best Way?

Hey Guys,

I'm having an issue with my landlord and oil stains. Dropping cardboard coming and going isn't doing it as some small drips still make it to the pavement. We were parking in the street but neighbors complained about cars being parked in front of their house so we're back dealing with the drips.

Both me and my GFs car leak. I spent Saturday while doing oil changes looking for any leaks. On her car, I couldn't really tell as it seemed like everything had a nice coat of oil on it. My car, I was able to see the return line on the PS pump was a little loose so I tightened that up and fixed that leak. It's still leaking a little coolant from somewhere but I figure I can use a pressure tester on that.

I was thinking about getting some of that UV dye stuff and seeing how that worked? I also know they say to degrease the engine and see for any fresh leaks but it's too damn cold for that now. I'd be willing to try that once it gets a bit warmer but my landlord is going to be up our asses in short order if the cars keep leaking.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
    -Erik

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

The UV stuff works good, I used it all the time. It's a lot easier to find an oil leak on a clean engine though, bad time of the year to track them down.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

In the mean time, I've used these with great success over cardboard--> http://www.walmart.com/ip/16778234?w...tRedirect=true
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        The UV stuff works good, I used it all the time. It's a lot easier to find an oil leak on a clean engine though, bad time of the year to track them down.
        Agreed. I wasn't planning on bothering with this until it was warmer out but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

Good to hear about the UV stuff. I'm going to see about picking it up. Any pointers on using it? (How long does it take?)

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
        In the mean time, I've used these with great success over cardboard--> http://www.walmart.com/ip/16778234?w...tRedirect=true
        Perfect! I'll try to pick one of those up tomorrow. That seems like much less of a headache than moving ragged cardboard everyday. Thanks!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Rear main or intake gasket maybe?
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
            Rear main or intake gasket maybe?
            My GFs car is a 2004 LeSabre. I was thinking maybe intake manifold on hers as I saw it seemed a little wet around there, but then again it also could be the valve covers. I'm thinking dye is the way to go with that one.

Mine might be one of those two. I hope it's not the rear main seal though. Intake is probable seeing that I get a nice puddle on the timing cover next to the distributor. Oil pan is bone dry though... back of engine/transmission is soaked.

Comment

Wash and degrease the engine. You have to get it clean first so you can look for oil leaks. With a film all over, its not likely to be obvious.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Wash and degrease the engine. You have to get it clean first so you can look for oil leaks. With a film all over, its not likely to be obvious.
                Problem is it's cold as balls and the landlord doesn't believe in common sense. I'll see what I can do though...

Comment

Eric, Forget cardboard! If you can, purchase two metal oil drip pans that are sold in ap stores, at least they used to be
                  They have a lip on all of the sides....this will be your only cost effective alternative to an engine re-seal:-(
                  I feel your pain........I park my Tudor as you know on the street, but candidly there is nothing unlawful about you parking on the street.......even if you have to park a short distance from the front of your home.... if the neighbors have a driveway what is the big deal? Sadly most folks get weird about small shit in life:-(

Comment

What happened with the landlord??

Comment

Hey!

Sorry for the lack up updates.

I ended up getting the oil drip pans from Walmart on Sunday. They seem to work pretty well. I haven't been able to track down the oil/coolant dye stuff in the store yet. I guess I might have to order that one online.

From what I can see, it looks like my GFs is definitely an oil leak. Mine is a coolant leak from the back of the engine... I'm thinking maybe that EGR coolant line that runs to the intake manifold?

So far, nothing from the landlord yet this time around. When we first moved in we had issues with the leaks. At the time we didn't know the cars were leaking and my landlord had us park in the driveway because she didn't want us parking in the street. So, when the cars started leaking, and her being OCD, she flipped out because now there were stains on the driveway. She then proceeded to scrub the driveway with cat litter every time we left the house until finally she basically told us that she was going to evict us if we didn't get the cars fixed. This whole time, I kept saying that we would park on the street and she kept saying "No". When she got to this point though, I said "fuck it" the street is public parking and moved the cars to the street. It was completely fine for a good 5 months before the neighbor complained.

To play my own devil's advocate, I can understand that she doesn't want to ruin her driveway and it has been months since she asked us to fix it. The only reason it really annoyed me the first time is because she gave us a deadline of less than a week to get the cars fixed before she would terminate our lease. (And then out of spite, I didn't... and then it was cold... and now here we are! )

Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to start tackling the leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Hi. How does one wash and degrease the engine without damaging anything? I want to do this to my engine.

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                          Hey!

Sorry for the lack up updates.

I ended up getting the oil drip pans from Walmart on Sunday. They seem to work pretty well. I haven't been able to track down the oil/coolant dye stuff in the store yet. I guess I might have to order that one online.

From what I can see, it looks like my GFs is definitely an oil leak. Mine is a coolant leak from the back of the engine... I'm thinking maybe that EGR coolant line that runs to the intake manifold?

So far, nothing from the landlord yet this time around. When we first moved in we had issues with the leaks. At the time we didn't know the cars were leaking and my landlord had us park in the driveway because she didn't want us parking in the street. So, when the cars started leaking, and her being OCD, she flipped out because now there were stains on the driveway. She then proceeded to scrub the driveway with cat litter every time we left the house until finally she basically told us that she was going to evict us if we didn't get the cars fixed. This whole time, I kept saying that we would park on the street and she kept saying "No". When she got to this point though, I said "fuck it" the street is public parking and moved the cars to the street. It was completely fine for a good 5 months before the neighbor complained.

To play my own devil's advocate, I can understand that she doesn't want to ruin her driveway and it has been months since she asked us to fix it. The only reason it really annoyed me the first time is because she gave us a deadline of less than a week to get the cars fixed before she would terminate our lease. (And then out of spite, I didn't... and then it was cold... and now here we are! )

Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to start tackling the leaks.
                          Oil leaks are free rust proofing. I'd tell her if she wants me to fix the leaks she can pay for half. What's worse, tennents who pay the rent on time & keep to themselves but have leaky cars or tennents who might not pay the rent and not so much keep to themselves?? Needs to pick her poison.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Oil leaks are free rust proofing.

To a degree. If you have an oil leak(s) that aren't(isn't) bad enough to have to top up between oil changes, then terrific.

However, if that minor leak one day gives out, then you're in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
                              Hi. How does one wash and degrease the engine without damaging anything? I want to do this to my engine.

I just pressure wash things. Haven't had problems yet, but I can probably fix it if I do. When in doubt, leave it the hell alone.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X