Are these stock gt40p springs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these stock gt40p springs??

So, I bought these heads a couple years ago from a dude that didn't know too much about the engine. He said it was built up by the previous owner before he bought it and wrecked the car. I've looked online but I'm still unsure and figured I'd post here. I know new springs are a must, but if they're already upgraded I'll use these. They kinda look like the beehive springs. What do you folks think?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1302913Click image for larger version

Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1302914Click image for larger version

Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1302915
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Take one off and take it to a machine shop and they'll check the spring pressure. Then you'll compare that number to some google reference and see that they are either stock or not.

Or just install them and if they float valves like a mo-fucker then they're most likely exploder noodle springs.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

The don't look stock with that slight beehive shape, but it also looks like they did not use offset retainers to compensate for the lower keeper seat on the exhaust valve on these springs. The springs could however be different and have a shorter install height on the exhaust side. It'd be worth pulling both off to compare.

Comment

I was also thinking they look fatter than stock. I'd agree with popping them for measurement and a machine shop check to see what they are. A shop can tell you what sort of lift and RPM you're good for based on spring rate.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah fellas, that's kinda what I was thinking. Got to get em off to the machine shop.

Comment

They could be a Crane 44308-1. Those are a popular upgrade spring, but they come with retainers to compensate for the seat position.

Comment

You only need to take one exhaust and one intake spring to the shop.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

The problem is they were all in a box when I bought them. I just threw em on the heads quick. They all seemed the same when they were off the heads.

Comment

wind er to 5800rpm and that'll let you know lol
                  Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                  HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Last engine I drove with stock Exploder springs let me know well before that. It was breaking up by about 5k with the stock Explorer cam. Either way though, it'll be real obvious that they suck if thats what they is.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X