No announcement yet.

5.8 EFI under stock hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a lower intake and it is on its way, will be here next week. Will post pictures of the intake fitting under the hood, Or if it does not will still post pictures hitting the hood.

Comment

You should have no clearance issues...I have a very tall edlebrock "knock-off" on my 351 and the only clearance issue was the stupid GM style IAC valve and adapter which pointed everything straight up...the tps was also an issue with the 75mm aftermarket tb that is a real goofy set up, with a Ford tb and factory style injection, no problem. A Mark VII ECU will run a 351w all day every day with a mild cam...it's not the best, but it's a fine stop-gap measure until you can do a MAF swap...I know, I've done it! With the Mark VII Ecu, I had to crack the throttle open just a hair on start up...once I went MAF it was a non-issue....this was my old old set up...I'm since using FAST EZ-Efi. Good luck!

-Don
      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Well I know I forget about this and life got in the way and everywhere, and everyone says this comb fits under the stock hood, but no pictures to back it up. If there are no pictures it never happened. So here it goes the car is a 1991 crown vic with a 5.8 the lower intake is off a marine application that is new old stock cast iron, and the upper is a 1996 ford explorer. My intake gaskets were leaking so I just puled the intake off and just set this on it for kicks. AND IT FITS! I put a big dab of grease on the highest point of the intake and closed the hood and did not touch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1277402Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1277403

Comment

Nice to see the proof finally.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

wow that looks close! by any chance do you have the part number for that "marine application" intake?
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Is the Explorer upper different from the Lightning upper? Does it flow less/more? Also will an Explorer lower fit a 351, or does the lower need to be 351 specific?
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Must be a 351w lower intake 302 will not fit. The Explorer is lower profile and cheep, lighting upper is very expensive and too tall. For flow I do not know? This is the lower intake it is cheaper than a stock lighting lower, and I got my new. Not where I bought mine but was around the same price, (I think it was $300 shipped).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-5-8L-35...d6545a&vxp=mtr

Comment

Things I have got for this swap and plans since I have posted last about it. I got a 5.8 roller block from a friends truck which he wrecked, got a set of gt40p heads drilled and on that block right now. I am going to gut that 91 vic and get it gone, because I am in it cheep and need the space (I own 10 lincolns and a whole lot of other vehicles). I have a 88 lincoln town car with the holy grail combo in my eyes( digital dash, sunroof, half vinyl top, signature series) that has been siting for 2 years since I bought it, and it's leaking oil from everywhere and runs like crap. So that 88 I want to turn into the most ford factory looking 5.8 efi daily driver. So that means I want to use a truck cam or stock ho cam, and keep SD. Sound fair?

Comment

It's cast iron? For a touch more you could get a nice aluminum lighting lower.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by dd345 View Post
                      Things I have got for this swap and plans since I have posted last about it. I got a 5.8 roller block from a friends truck which he wrecked, got a set of gt40p heads drilled and on that block right now. I am going to gut that 91 vic and get it gone, because I am in it cheep and need the space (I own 10 lincolns and a whole lot of other vehicles). I have a 88 lincoln town car with the holy grail combo in my eyes( digital dash, sunroof, half vinyl top, signature series) that has been siting for 2 years since I bought it, and it's leaking oil from everywhere and runs like crap. So that 88 I want to turn into the most ford factory looking 5.8 efi daily driver. So that means I want to use a truck cam or stock ho cam, and keep SD. Sound fair?
                      Conventional wisdom would say for a 351W and 50 more cubes than a 5.0L, you can get away with a larger cam and still have decent idle characteristics. For a daily driver, I would look into a Trick Flow stage 1 cam for that 5.8L. Though, I would wait until somebody who has a P72 or the like to chime in. Oh wait.......you want to keep SD. Don't know how successful that will be with a larger than stock engine (5.8L moving more air than the 5.0L). That, I would definitely let somebody else answer.

Packman
                      Last edited by packman; 04-28-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Comp XE cams are the cats ass with high lifts and short durations... translates to broad power curve with good tq and full vaccume/stock ide because it doesn't run like poopoo like "big" cams that get there high end power from duration and overlap. Only downside is you have to get some decent valve springs to handle the fast ramp rates (rated for .600 is good) but i mean thats only 100 bucks and we don't play these games to pinch pennies lol. The comp xe258 is by far the best I have ran in a 302 platform but the next version just above it in rpm band range would be killer for a 351 as they all have lots of lift (mid .550's) so duration is really the only factor in 302 vs 351 choice.
                        Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Working...
                        X