1992 Premium Sound aftermarket receiver replacement wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 Premium Sound aftermarket receiver replacement wiring question

So my 92 has a non-JBL premium sound car with its super gay tape player has got to go. The radio isn't bad, but the receiver I picked up has a USB input and headphone input which will help when I drive through Nebraska and Eastern Colorado. The problem I'm having is that the radio has all 3 plugs at the back: it has the regular grey and black non-premium sound connectors as well as the small, square black premium sound plug. I'd prefer not to buy the high-low converter to run the aftermarket deck through the factory amp, but I'm not sure if the unused non-premium sound black rectangular plug (bolted to a blank in the back of the factory radio) is wired all the way to the speakers or not. None of the stereo shops around here can answer this question and apparently, neither can CVN with its larger amount of users which shocks the shit out of me. Any of you guys screwed with this before?
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

I had the crap tape deck in my 93 and I installed the sweet USB/1/4" aux deck in that and it's been a fantastic 5 years.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Wow. I didn't answer the question.
      I think you'd be fine just using the standard plugs. I'll check my tape deck when I get home to see first ,I had/have that third connection and second, that I probably tuckef it up in the dash somewhere.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

If its premium sound with the amp you should need the grey plug and the square plug. This harness http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207055...s.html?tp=2977 makes use of the radio's preamp outs and lets you safely use the factory amps.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

That harness is pretty cool, and I'd much prefer that over a converter. Though if Ryan can verify which plugs he used that might also shed some light or re-enforce the fact that I'll have to go through the factory amp. I've got nothing against the factory amp, just would like to eliminate it as a possible point of failure.
          1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

There is also this harness http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207050...s.html?tp=2977. This is for using the square plug and bypassing the amp. I can't imagine the black rectangle plug being able to be used. The speakers are fed from the output side of the amp in the PS setup (in other words the square plug harness goes back to the amp, and then the speaker wiring branches out from there)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
              There is also this harness http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207050...s.html?tp=2977. This is for using the square plug and bypassing the amp. I can't imagine the black rectangle plug being able to be used. The speakers are fed from the output side of the amp in the PS setup (in other words the square plug harness goes back to the amp, and then the speaker wiring branches out from there)
              +1 this harness to bupass the POS and then wire into the connectors in the dash.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I thought I remembered the wiring to the amp being super tiny, which would rule out the amp bypass as a viable option.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
                  I thought I remembered the wiring to the amp being super tiny, which would rule out the amp bypass as a viable option.
                  I used the bypass in my 89 MGM and everything was fine.
                  Past Panthers

Comment

i would retain use of the factory amp. the sound is that much better. some of us guys are running the metra ford premium sound amp intergration harness. it plugs into the shielded grey cable and into your deck RCA pre-outs.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

for some reason, i cant link a pic. but, you can search metra part number 70-5510.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                        i would retain use of the factory amp. the sound is that much better. some of us guys are running the metra ford premium sound amp intergration harness. it plugs into the shielded grey cable and into your deck RCA pre-outs.
                        You're talking about this, right?

Or something even more awesome? I never had any qualms with the factory amp, just contemplated yanking it to eliminate it as a potential point of failure. Honestly the sound from the factory deck isn't bad, it just lacks the ability to play CDs, USB sticks, and a headphone jack. I'd actually thought about making one of these myself from the kit they have at Walmart, but since I'm not at home right now I lack access to my soldering iron. I didn't know they sold them premade with the RCA jacks.

Comment

thats the one. one reason i dont like using the bypass harness, is that your putting high level outputs, through that very tiny wire running from the dash, to the amp. i installed premium sound in my lincoln and merc and think it was well worth it. it works pretty well with aftermarket decks imo.

Comment

That is same one I linked in post #4. I don't know if there is a better price anywhere, but Crutchfield was the easiest place to look it up.
                            Past Panthers

Comment

Yeah, I kinda took credit for your find.

Comment

Working...
                              X