No announcement yet.

Saved from the Demo Derby: 1990 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you still get a new pump/sending unit assembly for a wagon? If so that's the way I'd do it. Old fuel wreaks havoc on everything.

I'd also pull the upper intake (all the vacuum lines are probably shot anyways, may as well kill two birds with one stone) and pull the fuel rails and injectors. I wouldn't be surprised if there were loads of crud in their internal filters.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Pulled the pump and sender out today.

I'm not convinced this pump has pumped anything in the last several years. This would be a good thing since hopefully none of the crud got up to the fuel rails.

Going to test the resistance on the sender next to see if it can be made to be functional again. See the lack of a float? Yeah it came out that way... and there was no float in the tank. Nothing has ever been screwed around with on this car, so I am guessing the stale fuel ate it. Yummy.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

looks like supermotors.net is down right now... so...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Fuel Level Sender Repaired: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Sender-Repair

Next task: Fuel pump R&R. Got a NOS Ford pump in the garage somewhere. Need to match with this hanger.

Anyone confirm that the float for this is the standard round Ford float they used since the 1950's?

Also - what is the correct fuel filler seal for this car? The one from the pipe to the tank? What I see on the Dorman website looks small.

New tank in the mail. Amazon Warehouse Deals $55 with free shipping. Heck yeah.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

That is the worst I have ever seen. Yuck!
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Hope you got the wagon specific tank.
              And wow that thing looks nasty!
              -Nick M.
              Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
              03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                Final thing - I don't have a key to the wheel cover locks. Are all boxes the same? Anyone got one to spare or ideas for getting the locks lose?
                Long needle nose pliers to reach through the hole, and another set of pliers to turn the needlenose if they are tight. Thats how I got my "locks" off, then I threw those things in the steel bin at work. Nobody is going to steal wire hubcaps anyway.

Alex.

Comment

I did a fuel pump on a car that had been sitting for 9 years and it didn't look that bad. Holy cow!

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Tiggie...when i replaced my fuel sending unit it was the metal cylinder one. A piece of wire partially wrapped around it to clip it into place exactly like you have pictured.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Did some probing around on the fuel system today. Fuel filter was clean. Fuel lines are clean. Fuel pump officially locked up so it never pumped nasty rust chunky fuel (at least not much if it did).
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	1278882

Got to figure out what to do for a new fuel pump. I have a new pump. But no rubber isolator (whatever that thing is around the pump) or strainer. Do I need the rubber thing? And the hot wire on the pump is unattached at the bracket. I guess I could solder it on? Ideas welcome! I don't really want to pay $100 for a new hanger/pump if I can use this new pump I have. Yes I am a cheapskate.

Name:	1_image.jpeg
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	1278880

Name:	2_image.jpeg
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1278881

Did some research on part numbers. This may affect some of you if you do a fuel tank on a car that's got a trashed fuel system like mine. All of these part numbers work for CFI or EFI cars - some are different for carb'd cars.
                      E1AZ-9072-B is the fuel tank filler pipe gasket on the tank side. The replacement parts (Dorman) catalogs list this part as the same on a Box Panther and similar age Mustang. They are not the same - you need a NOS one with this part number.
                      E1FZ-9B076-B is the seal for the fuel vapor separator valve on the top of the tank. It's common to all Ford cars of a similar vintage.
                      E1VZ-9417-B is the seal for the fuel pump if you don't need the retainer ring and are too cheap to buy a new pump with one included (like me).
                      C0AZ-9276-A is the fuel level sending unit seal. Common to most Ford products 1960-1990ish.
                      C0AZ-9202-B is the float for the fuel level sending unit. Common to most Ford products 1960-1990ish.
                      E3VZ-9B357-A is a fuel pump noise reduction kit that contains everything needed to replace a fuel pump except the fuel pump. This includes the rubber isolator that surrounds the pump.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        Got to figure out what to do for a new fuel pump. I have a new pump. But no rubber isolator (whatever that thing is around the pump) or strainer. Do I need the rubber thing? And the hot wire on the pump is unattached at the bracket. I guess I could solder it on? Ideas welcome! I don't really want to pay $100 for a new hanger/pump if I can use this new pump I have. Yes I am a cheapskate.
                        Just ordered more stuff. Spending money is not fun! Figured the pump has to have that rubber boot/isolator to mount to the hanger, so got a whole new fuel pump with hanger from AutoZone coming in the mail. Lifetime warranty was worth the $10 additional charge over Amazon or RockAuto 1-Year. Still expensive but glad they still make it.

Also ordered the fuel float and vapor valve seal from Mustangs Unlimited. And the correct fuel filler neck to tank seal from Tasca Ford on eBay. And a fuel filter, fuel sending unit seal, injector o-rings, and a 7-lb radiator cap to help the 26-year old hoses survive for a little bit while I get it running, all from RockAuto.

The $663 car is now a $905 dollar car. Hope it runs.

Also - made an error on the part numbers in the last post. Fuel sending unit seal is C0AF-9276-A, also serviced by Motorcraft CG-783, and available from RockAuto under that number. Also the fuel pump seal is Motorcraft CG-788, although RockAuto doesn't currently list that.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

New tank and pump in. Flushed fuel lines and fuel rails. New fuel filter. New seals on everything fuel tank. And an oil change.

Cranked for five seconds. Tried the fire. Cranked again. Purrrrrrrr. It is even running? Yes but so quiet!

After a couple minutes of idling, the idler for the air and smog started complaining a little but it's still spinning.

Drove it around the neighborhood. First letdown: trans is shifting at about 4K rpm with foot off the gas. That's 30 mph or so in first and 50ish in second. Does have third. Just not until 50mph and if you drop below 45 it's back to second with any throttle. Not sure about OD - can't go that fast on 20 year old Michelins. Shifts quite firm when it shifts. I am hoping to find a maxed out TV adjustment or a stuck return spring or something like that. I know it's connected at the throttle body but that's all I've had time to check.

Also, the fan isn't working for the heat. And the gas gauge is still on 3/4 full even though it only has 1/4 tank. And the parking brake contraption isn't catching to hold the parking brake. More things to troubleshoot as time allows.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Good to hear it is running. I love SEFI engines since attempting to get them started after sitting a while usually won't be troublesome if everything else is in good order. Your wagon sat for as long as the little Infiniti I've been working on with a friend, all laid up because of a dead fuel pump, lol.

Hopefully getting everything else sorted out won't be too difficult.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The uber late shifting sounds like the TV cable is either stuck at wide open (cable seized) or the lever on the trans is seized and stuck at wide open... or the plunger in the trans is stuck (broken return spring?).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice to see you again Ben I'm glad you got the wagon running

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                                X