No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nokian are Finnish, great tires actually, especially the winter models.

I also prefer to buy local if price difference ain't huge. Over the years I've spent stupid amount of money at NAPA, but time saved more than made up for it.

Yeah with an inverted Y-pipe exhaust brake will need to go before mufflers. Shame, would have been pretty cool.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

two quick driving videos

https://youtu.be/ec3ZLQe9LDg

https://youtu.be/CSDxeGYWvG4
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

"... how quick this thing doesn't accelerate."

QFT! Great fuel miser though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Nice rig Gadget!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

special diesel edition

Click image for larger version

Name:	0221181717.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1283081

225/50/16, and the rear height sensor is up too high.

When the new tires come in, its getting the stock wheels re-installed. I just needed something that weren't so liable to kill me. These are actually snow tires. Not in bad shape either.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like.

Gonna look plain when the stockers go back on.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I kinda dig the stock wires honestly. It fits the car. Also I need these for the Mark VII, the wheels on that are in really lousy shape.

I picked up some NOS genuine Ford door edge trim for cheap on ebay. Maybe that will spruce it up a bit.

Comment

Gangsta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

I like the current wheels too. Nice looking car.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Those LSC wheels like your Town Car has would also look sharp!
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

yeah a set of turbines would look good on this. Better match for the coloring.

Comment

Some pictorial updates, and some progress. The car is road legal now, and of course it almost immediately started wanting to hang onto first gear unless I wound the BS out of it initially. Once it shifted the first time it would go fine. Research on the interwebs says that I have shite in the governor, so out it comes. It also has a pinion seal leak, so since the driveshaft needs to come out, its time to do that as well. To do the pinion seal I need to measure preload, which means pulling the calipers. Handily the caliper guide pin bushings were shot, so lets add that to the list too. Once I got the driveshaft out, I found the front U joint feels a bit funky, so I'll change that too. Mercifully the rear ones in the double cardan clusterfuck are fine, and a good thing because they suck to deal with.

These rear caliper bushings were 2 bucks for both wheels, but what a miserable job to install. Of the things I did tonight, this task was the most difficult. Its the right part too, Bendix box, Ford emblem actually on the parts so its the real deal. Used on 82-87 Continental, 84-89 Mark VII, 84-86 Mustang SVO. Originals were mostly disintegrated, only about 1/2" of the 1 1/2" of material was still there, and what remained was more like bubblegum than a proper bushing. I can't imagine that was helping rear brake performance.

Name:	caliper bushings.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1283201

Some trans upskirt shots

The manual says this is a C3 housing, but thats not quite true. It seems to be a C3 bushing and seal, but the housing is specific to this transmission. The gasket surface is nowhere near similar to the C3 trans. I bought a C3 gasket as well as the BMW 524TD gasket just in case. It uses the Beemer gasket. It does take the C3 tailshaft seal though, which I installed already. Bushing was fine so it stays.

Name:	extension housing.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1283202

Name:	governor and park pawl.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1283203

Name:	trans model tag.jpg
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1283204

To get the governor off, I have to pop the snap rings off the park pawl, remove that, then another snap ring to get the governor off. The gov is the silver box looking thing inboard of the parking gear.

To my amazement and extreme pleasure, the trans mount is in fantastic condition. Usually these things are like black jello at this point in time, but the rubber is still good.

Once the tailshaft goes back on, I'll drop the pan and service the transmission. I have a floor jack under there right now so the pan has to stay.
                          Last edited by gadget73; 03-19-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

The slushbox from Saarbruken is back together. The governor was indeed stuck, and it had a fair bit of shit in there. Once I got that flushed out, it moves freely. This one is no virgin either, someone has diddled at it before and they dicked up the filter bolts pretty good. Looks like at least 2 of them got an allen key hammered in there, and one someone went at with a chisel. Probably the same jackass that hammered an allen key into the rear caliper slide pins and mangled the Torx socket.

Name:	gov trash.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1283205

Name:	gov07.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1283206

Name:	gov05.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1283207

Name:	gov01.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1283208

The filter bolts. Not sure how well this shows up but they're kinda fucked. I managed to get them out with the correct T27 bit but I wasn't positive it would let go. I also found that the O ring that should seal between the filter and valve body was not installed.

Name:	filter screws 03.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1283209

Name:	filter screws 02.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1283210

Name:	filter screws 01.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1283211

The trash in the pan. The filter had trash in it too, which is why I was worried it may not let go.

Name:	pan trash.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1283212

Comment

well at least the bolt dickering didn't totally dick the trans. Looks like it should chooch when you're done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have to wonder if the trash came from whoever serviced it last. They obviously didn’t have the gumption to get things done right. I hate it when I find stuff like that on a project. Usually means the job is going to be more work than if they’d never put their paws there to begin with.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X