X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 tudor
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...9900?undefined

Comment

That's well worth it if it's decent underneath. Hopefully it ends up on the road again rather than the more likely outcome.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I'd certainly offer less with those issues on the passenger side.
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Nice that the door is supplied at least. Not that easy to locate.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
            I'd certainly offer less with those issues on the passenger side.
            Most recent numbers I'm seeing and hearing from the derby car crowd are now in the area of $2k for a solid derby car, significantly up from what I've previously been aware of.

If it sells for much less, it's going to a derby.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Nice that the door is supplied at least. Not that easy to locate.
            Realistically, the inclusion of that door is probably worth about $1000 of the car's value, if it's clean enough to use without needing repairs besides painting. There is a value associated with the time and effort to find and collect a door, with an additional factor applied for the low probability of the donor car being in good enough shape.

When I stumble upon something clean in a junkyard and choose to hoard it, the value is the price I paid, because I don't need the item. If I need the item and don't have it hanging around, that value basically climbs to whatever my willingness is to finish the repair/project.
            Last edited by kishy; 05-03-2022, 06:46 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

If I didn't already have one I'd certainly be checking it out.

Comment

"$3,500"
                "Well worth it."

I just don't get it. Even if you convert that to USD, you'd still end up paying more for that clapped out POS than I paid for my pristine '88 Townie! Sure, it can be saved seeing as it's rust free, but you'd still drop another $8k+ USD in it easy to bring it back to glory. It is going to take me quite some time to adjust to these new prices. As I've said before, if my salary increased exponentially like car values have, I wouldn't be in shock. I'm just glad I can still afford chips to sit at the classic car table, for if I didn't already have a few, there'd be no way I could afford the adjusted buy-in price...
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  "$3,500"
                  "Well worth it."

I just don't get it. Even if you convert that to USD, you'd still end up paying more for that clapped out POS than I paid for my pristine '88 Townie! Sure, it can be saved seeing as it's rust free, but you'd still drop another $8k+ USD in it easy to bring it back to glory. It is going to take me quite some time to adjust to these new prices. As I've said before, if my salary increased exponentially like car values have, I wouldn't be in shock. I'm just glad I can still afford chips to sit at the classic car table, for if I didn't already have a few, there'd be no way I could afford the adjusted buy-in price...
                  It's got nothing to do with "chips to sit at the classic car table". Considering it does meet most common definitions of a classic car, it's actually super cheap compared to the rest of the market.

The days of a $1000 car (of any age and in any cosmetic condition) that is capable of starting, running, driving and stopping are like...5 years behind us. Not to say it can't still be pulled off, but it's the exception now. I don't like it either, but it's what the market is doing.
                  Last edited by kishy; 05-04-2022, 10:27 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

It's got everything to do with it, especially from my PoV. "Classic Car" should not equate to $$$. A Chevy Celebrity is a "Classic Car" by that definition, no way would I want to pay a classic car tax just because it made it past a timeline milestone. By that definition, our cars have been classics for nearly/over a decade now. I seem to recall you saying something about potentially selling your '84 TC. This was about two years ago, and at that time you said you'd let it go for $3,500 or $2,500, if I remember right. Now that's a reasonable price for a reasonable car.

I find it striking that all of a sudden now these cars have a market beyond people who just wanted something old, quirky and easy to work on/keep going. That's where "chips at the classic car table" come into play. Because I very much enjoy playing and intend to keep playing, but if I wasn't already sitting at the table, I wouldn't be able to afford the new buy-in price. It's not just these cars either, unfortunately. Even the dumpy truck I drive is now supposedly worth 4x what I paid for it and my Fireturd as well. I don't know that I agree with the price of that two door as being reasonable as well. Even if I was a player at that price, a really nice one can be had from $7,000 - $12,500ish USD. I certainly wouldn't be able to make that clapped out example nice for $12,500 all in, not even close. So a dude or dudette is better off buying a nice one if that's what their goal is.

Comment

Rarity makes a BIG difference. A 2 door Grand Marquis is a lot harder to find than an 88 Town Car. Everyone has an opinion, including me.
                      A friend wants to buy an Amphicar, have you seen the prices for those turds? I wouldn't pay anything near what they are going for.
                      WagonMan
                      89 Colony Park
                      90 Colony Park
                      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Supply and demand. Days of clean $500 boxes or Panthers in general are over. Two doors are rare and so are wagons. Prices of clean wagons have skyrocketed. Someone who is looking specifically for a tudor will pay that.

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                          Rarity makes a BIG difference. A 2 door Grand Marquis is a lot harder to find than an 88 Town Car. Everyone has an opinion, including me.
                          A friend wants to buy an Amphicar, have you seen the prices for those turds? I wouldn't pay anything near what they are going for.
                          WagonMan
                          Right, everyone certainly has an opinion and I've been going off about mine. Guess it depends on the Town Car, as I've never seen another like mine. Hell, I haven't even seen a nice black Signature Series since I bought mine. According to the Marti report I got for my car, it's one of 43. LoL, I have seen an Amphicar! I used to like those when I was a kid, was really impressed that something like it existed way back then. However, you nailed it, they're turds. I think only someone with a big imagination and little concern for money would want one. Someone who most likely already has a car collection and wants to add to it, much like a book collector on the hunt for an elusive title. Perhaps a bit of the "But do you have one?" factor.

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                          Supply and demand. Days of clean $500 boxes or Panthers in general are over. Two doors are rare and so are wagons. Prices of clean wagons have skyrocketed. Someone who is looking specifically for a tudor will pay that.
                          I understand a gradual price increase over time, but this has been essentially overnight. Like I was saying, it's not just boxes which have been affected. I couldn't get another reasonably priced 1988-1996 F series or GM truck for cheap if I wanted to. Not three years ago I bought a 1992 Chevrolet C1500 for $1,000 which ran and drove. Rare truck as it was a 350 five speed outfitted in top trim. Aside from the rocker panels and cab corners, it was rot free. Not two years ago I bought a rust free, straight and all original 1979 Chevrolet G10 for $600. That didn't run or drive, but neither does this two door Panther. The supply hasn't dried up in just three years. Maybe demand has picked up, but it's just crazy to see values jump across the board essentially overnight like this. The "market" has a choice though, if no one pays the ludicrous prices, they'll come down. In this two door's case, even $3,500 is too much for it given how much it needs and how clapped out it is. I think I already said in an earlier post that a nice one could be had for around $10k USD, but that one couldn't be made nice for the same amount. Not to mention it would take years to source parts and finish it, whereas the smarter and cheaper option would be to wait & buy one that's already nice. It's much easier to keep a car nice than it is to make one nice.

Comment

Bottom line - Anything is worth what one fool is willing to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                              Bottom line - Anything is worth what one fool is willing to pay for it.
                              This. The problem with this is that there are far more fools than educated people. One fool buys a car and does what they think "good work" or increased value by doing some sort of repair or cheap paint job and will never sell it for a reasonable price because they are just not educated. It is a bad bad cycle.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                This. The problem with this is that there are far more fools than educated people. One fool buys a car and does what they think "good work" or increased value by doing some sort of repair or cheap paint job and will never sell it for a reasonable price because they are just not educated. It is a bad bad cycle.
                                True enough, Dave. Just takes a few idiots to "reset" the market. Then everyone expects to receive "gold for shit"!

Comment

Working...
                                X