No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No joke, that's a weird bastard, but kinda cool. Of course my first project would be to shitcan that drivetrain, unless you can juice up that diesel and make it badass. Doubt it though. Running properly it likely would get phenomenal gas mileage, but is that enough to justify driving something weird-sounding and slow? Guess that's for you to decide. Been trying to think of a good vehicle to stick a 3.7 and 6-speed auto in. My gay new Transit 350 has that combo, which borders on dismal in that vehicle but would really rip in something lighter. 7000rpm and manual shift option? Pretty damn cool. Just not in a huge van.

I almost bought one of those continentals recently. They're ugly but in a gotta-have-it weird '80s way that i love. Looking forward to seeing this beast take shape.

Comment

LoL the drivetrain is why gadget bought it I think.. I've once heard him say this about Fox Continentals, "..they got all the weirdness of a Mark VII with all the mediocrity of a LoPo.." I like the color combo too. I wouldn't mind an '87 Conti. The early ones like this got the cooler front end. What I don't like about the later ones is the integrated ditch lights.

What is Lexol? Yeah the problem with filling up is that most of my cars are on the driver's side so that's where I expect it to be. This VII is the first car we've had were it's on the P side.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Lexol is a brand of leather cleaner and conditioner. Great stuff that isn’t super expensive.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I want this, and I honestly can't tell you why, but I really want one now.

2003 Crown Vic HPP- 3.27s. Dual exhaust. 11.25" torque converter, Arnott Limo Duty HPP-rate rear air springs. 205,xxx miles. (Stolen by the old man)
          1995 Impala SS- 28,293 miles. The Lovely Lady
          2003 BMW 325i- 113,xxx miles. KYB ZHP(M)-spec struts, Rear M3 shocks, Exhaust butterfly valve delete, USB and Bluetooth playback with stock head unit, Projector Retrofitted lights, Euro-convex mirrors, slotted-not drilled rotors all around.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            Of course my first project would be to shitcan that drivetrain, unless you can juice up that diesel and make it badass. Doubt it though. Running properly it likely would get phenomenal gas mileage, but is that enough to justify driving something weird-sounding and slow?
            Slow by whose definition? He already said it feels slow but really isn't. BTW there is no cheap way of going fast and using little fuel, and the guy already has two money-pit projects so I doubt he really wants a 3rd one. If this thing moves out of its own way fast enough to be able to safely merge on interstates then IMHO it's already as fast as most lo-po boxes, and depending on gears they are not exactly the slowest thing out there either. So yeah, OK power with very good MPG, if you already got go-fast vehicles that's a pretty winning combination there.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I need my fuel sipper vehicle now... My "race car" actually gets the best mileage of the vehicles I drive. I keep thinking a diesel swap on the Expy if I ever got the money to do something... or a 2.7 ecoboost in the vic... or some such. I wish I could get my hands on a Symetron drive system (Via Motors)... but that's a pipe dream.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Looked up the Via Motors products, cool stuff. Tesla can go pound sand, their shit is pretty useless for people who actually use their vehicles for something other than showing off...

And on the opposite side of the world we have people dumping their diesels en masse, cause pollution and stuff, but really political/environmental brainwashing. Nevermind the current emissions control technologies actually do work as intended and some owners half-joke that what comes out of the tailpipe is actually cleaner than what goes into the intake..
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  I need my fuel sipper vehicle now... My "race car" actually gets the best mileage of the vehicles I drive. I keep thinking a diesel swap on the Expy if I ever got the money to do something... or a 2.7 ecoboost in the vic... or some such. I wish I could get my hands on a Symetron drive system (Via Motors)... but that's a pipe dream.
                  You know, if you were to put a dollar amount behind your labor and add up what you spent in parts & supplies to do your swap, you'd most likely need a decade before the fuel savings paid off, if even.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    It needs a good shampoo job too.
                    Ahh yes, the good ol'fashioned SJ....

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      You know, if you were to put a dollar amount behind your labor and add up what you spent in parts & supplies to do your swap, you'd most likely need a decade before the fuel savings paid off, if even.
                      If we added in our own labor cost for anything on these cars, we'd never get the pay-off. Much less any fuel saving mods. That said... the Symetron system gets 33MPG on the highway in a full size truck/van. Gas generator, electric motor drive, would probably get around 38-42 mpg in an aero/whale and even a box if kept under 60 mph. Figure that into your calculations. It gets happier when you're able to DOUBLE your mileage. It gets better mileage in town if you are able to offset the fuel usage with cheaper electricity charging.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Even if it got 50mpg on the highway LoL. My box does 24.5, pretty dham good to me.. Parts for that thing sound expensive too.

I mean, laying rubber, juggity-juggity-juggity cam sound and torque thrust put a smile on my face. So by all means if saving money on fuel does it for ya. In this case it sounds like the joke about the mom who sold her car for gas money...

Comment

the spendy parts are more better than anything on our cars and parts on our cars are sure to break first. My aero barely gets 21mpg on the highway if I baby it now (PI swap). It used to get 26mpg regularly with the original NPI engine of shame. Considering I do mostly city driving, If I had a charge port in my garage (easy enough) and that system in my car, I'd probably have to take long runs just to use up the gas before it went bad in the tank. It would make my trip range well over 600 miles though. Which would be nice. So yeah... saving gas would be stupid easy with my commute. Probably have to Sta-Bil the fuel every time I filled up (except on trips)... which would probably be twice a year... Considering how much gas I put through that thing... that would save easily about $1200 a year... not counting trips. But... cost of entry is still high and would make the ROI well over 20 years which makes it still not feasible. Still... being able to tell some uptight, self righteous, wind bag that my "gas guzzling land yacht" gets better mileage than their econobox would be epic.

Comment

I donated a premium sound radio to the cause. We spent some time last night trying to get the power antenna to work. We got a new mast installed, and got it to retract but it won't go the other way. Hoping the EVTM will shed some light on this.

Comment

Meet the 1984 Lincoln Continental antenna control relay, aka "why the fuck does the antenna not work". This little gem lives on the passenger side of the trunk, attached to the hinge. This is powered from the radio's "hot when on" lead, which I presume is also the premium sound amplifier's switching lead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1207171644b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1282737Click image for larger version

Name:	1207171644a.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1282736Click image for larger version

Name:	1207171644.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1282735Click image for larger version

Name:	1207171652.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1282734

Operation is actually very simple. When energized, the relay outputs power to one wire, when off it goes to another. The transistor inside is simply a buffer circuit, allowing it to operate on even less current than a standard relay would want. The antenna ran in the "down" mode, but would not work in "up" mode. The pics above should explain the problem and how I fixed it. It does work now, but it doesn't seem to grab the plastic cord on the mast all that well. It goes up, but doesn't run down all the way without help. At some point I guess I'll pull the antenna for further work.

Antenna construction is actually fairly odd. A normal DC motor just reverses polarity to reverse direction. Not so with this. It is essentially two motors wound on one core, and the mounting bolt is the ground. Power to the red lead runs it up, power to the green lead runs it down, and presumably power to both would let the smoke out. It has an internal limit switch that shuts down the motor when it runs to the end of the antenna drum in whichever direction it is going.

The stock premium sound amp is operational, and with the radio graciously donated by John, I have sound. Door speakers are crunchy, the dash speakers are unhooked and totally shot, rear speakers are not original but work fine. They came from Radio Shack sometime in the distant past, anyone remember Optimus components? They seem decent so they'll probably stay. I will fix the wiring though, its just twisted through the terminals on the right speaker. This is the early 2 channel premium sound setup, rears run straight off the radio, front runs through the football amp. Same system my 86 Towncar used.

and yes the weirdo little diesel engine is the appeal. They're supposed to do low-mid 30s for fuel economy, but thats really not what I was mainly after. Its just such an unusual car that I had to have it. Power is acceptable, but its not going to blow anyone's doors off.
                              Last edited by gadget73; 12-07-2017, 07:22 PM.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Any clue how that trace ended up with such high attenuation?
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X