Fuel switching questions.... got the orange "CHECK ENGINE" light came on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates!

Picked up 6 quarts of Mobile One 10W-40 full synthetic. I'd have bought more, but I was in a hurry. Also picked up a cheapo oil pressure gauge. I'll definitely upgrade to the one HiFiMerc linked to me once I get to upgrading the interior n' stuff. Also drained the oil successfully. There was hardly any of it left, and it was black as a tire. Will get a new gasket for the oil pain drainage bolt thingy tomorrow from Home Depot or AutoZone. I haven't put new oil in yet because the Purolator oil filter was NOT cooperating. That freakin' thing wouldn't budge, no matter how hard I tried to twist it counter-clockwise to loosen it.

I'm not putting new oil through a crappy old filter. So Ebyt's STILL parked in the driveway.

What's really annoying is that you're supposed to be able to twist them on/off with your hands (at least according to EricTheCarGuy on YT), but that's definitely not the case here. Whoever put it on must've gone nuts with over-tightening it or something. I recall reading somewhere that you can use a special set of pliers or something to remove uncooperative oil filters..... but I don't know much besides that. Any specific name/part # for this?
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-20-2014, 09:27 PM. Reason: Added some context
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1654166

that's what I use (cept the Fram version I got at Wal-Mart).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

@sly: Awesome! I'll pick one of those up early tomorrow. If all goes well, should be able to do a photoshoot, create a flickr account, and add the pics there- all before class begins! Thanks man.
        Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-20-2014, 09:38 PM. Reason: Added some stuffs

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
          Updates!

Picked up 6 quarts of Mobile One 10W-40 full synthetic. I'd have bought more, but I was in a hurry. Also picked up a cheapo oil pressure gauge. I'll definitely upgrade to the one HiFiMerc linked to me once I get to upgrading the interior n' stuff. Also drained the oil successfully. There was hardly any of it left, and it was black as a tire. Will get a new gasket for the oil pain drainage bolt thingy tomorrow from Home Depot or AutoZone. I haven't put new oil in yet because the Purolator oil filter was NOT cooperating. That freakin' thing wouldn't budge, no matter how hard I tried to twist it counter-clockwise to loosen it.

I'm not putting new oil through a crappy old filter. So Ebyt's STILL parked in the driveway.

What's really annoying is that you're supposed to be able to twist them on/off with your hands (at least according to EricTheCarGuy on YT), but that's definitely not the case here. Whoever put it on must've gone nuts with over-tightening it or something. I recall reading somewhere that you can use a special set of pliers or something to remove uncooperative oil filters..... but I don't know much besides that. Any specific name/part # for this?
          An oil filter wrench?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

@marquisman: Yep! sly directed me to one- see post #17.

I really like how you can change the oil on these cars without jackstands by the way. Just slide on under from the front, set up your pan, and get to work. One of many reasons why I will never own a lowrider. Haha.

Comment

someone put it on retard tight apparently, or maybe just dry. If there is no oil on the gasket before it gets spun on, it will stick sometimes.

Might want to replace the drain plugs entirely (remember, 2). Have a good close look at the threads on them. If they look sharp, replace them. If they've never been replaced that you know of, replace them. Take the old one with you to make sure you get the right one. They changed to metric thread at some point in 89, so its anyone's guess what you have exactly.

you must be skinny. I get stuck under the front of the car before I get under there far enough to get the rear drain plug if I don't put it up in the air. Lincolns are about a foot longer up front though, so that makes it worse. My fat gut doesn't help tho.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

@gadget: I figured it was probably a combination of retard tight and dry.... that sucker's on there good.

There's two plugs you say? I did not know that..... I just did the one near the front suspension. I do recall seeing something that could've passed for a drain plug further back. I didn't end up taking the plug out though, I thought it was for the tranny. (But I just finished reading how the AOD doesn't have external plugs.... you have to drop the pan to change the fluid.) So I'm 99.9% sure that's the second plug you're referring to. Anyhow, for fun, I test-slid under there earlier today. While it got a bit cramped, I could still turn a wrench. Will bring the plugs & washers to AutoZone and/or Home Depot tomorrow, and get both the plugs themselves, and 50 washers or so. I'll go out and drain that second plug as soon as I'm done typing this post!

Haha! Not as much as you'd think. I'm pretty average for a 6'1 20 year old. But it definitely gets a bit cramped as you slide past the first drain plug.... that damn passenger area greatly complicates things.
                Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-20-2014, 11:18 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

the front sump holds about a quart, the rear holds the rest. make sure you do both or you'll end up with very strange oil levels.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

@gadget: So that's why there was only a tiny bit at first.... makes sense! You GMNers really know your shit, inside and out. I can't think of a better place for an aspiring hot-rodder to learn, grow, and prosper. I'll definitely be making a site donation of the large variety this summer.

As you can probably guess, I got the second drain plug open successfully. The angle to loosen the plug was a bit weird, but I made it work without much difficulty. A whole lot of black-as-a-tire oil flowed into the big ol' plastic rectangular pan. Life is good!

In other news, I find it hilarious that people take their vehicles to places like Jiffy Lube and get their oil changed. It's so freakin' easy to DIY. It's also really fun, for some weird reason. No joke. I'm enjoying this process immensely. Even if it's just standard boring maintenance or "busy work". Guess I just bleed petrol and motor oil, haha. I mean seriously, if a nutless monkey like me can do it without getting injured/embarrassed/lost, then pretty much anyone can.

Comment

Oil changes are NOT difficult. Have done them for almost 50 years. They are just messy (which can be somewhat contained with good methods). Haven't done one in over a year but only have them done at my dealer due to severe health issues. My take is - if you can physically do them - do them yourself!!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I put fumoto valves on my 88... I only need the filter wrench to get the oil filter started moving to do an oil change. no wrenches required. takes a little longer to drain, but I don't care. I'll wait an additional 2 minutes. frakkin easy oil changes now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          I put fumoto valves on my 88... I only need the filter wrench to get the oil filter started moving to do an oil change. no wrenches required. takes a little longer to drain, but I don't care. I'll wait an additional 2 minutes. frakkin easy oil changes now.
                          The F-101 is the one that fits our cars right? I've thought about getting these...

How low does is stick down on the rear sump? I would be worried about bottoming out and shearing it off.

Comment

Added some context

Updates!

Changed the oil plugs & washers, changed the oil filter, put in 5 quarts of oil, and updated the dipstick. She's a bit cantankerous at startup, but she runs much better overall. Once that heavier oil (Mobil 1 10W-40 full synthetic) is flowing good, Ebyt's relatively happy. No replace engine light issues. Will try to run to Home Depot or Lowes tomorrow to get wire.... then I can finally pull codes and do the cylinder balance test.

In other news, Ebyt's got some really weird stuff happening. Some of the issues are familiar, others are new:

-Brand new issue. Earlier today, I was driving around town and there was a bit of smoke coming out from under the hood. It came without warning. It escaped through the driver's side of the hood; nothing on the passenger side of the hood. I immediately pulled over and shut her off. Popped the hood, and it was definitely warm underneath. No smoke after I popped the hood though. Perhaps a coolant flush is in order? I planned on doing it anyway this summer, but perhaps sooner is better than later. Or it could be the POS 2G alternator. I plan on swapping that this week.

-Brand new issue. Something is up with the cylinders. There's some weird vibrations that come through the steering wheel too. She jerks and bucks a bit if I let her roll in forward. Perhaps I've got a misfire on a cylinder? Or it could be worse. I really, really hope I don't have dead cylinders..... that'd necessitate a rebuild. The issue with rebuilding isn't that I don't want it. I do want to rebuild, and I'd like to learn how to. But I just don't want to do it now. I don't even have straight pipes on her yet FFS.

-Still have some surging/bouncing at idle. Perhaps that's related to the above? I'll have a better idea once I pull the codes (hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday).

@miamibob: Well in your case, I can understand. If I wasn't able to physically get underneath and drain the oil n' stuff, I wouldn't have any other choice but to have someone else do it. You do what's necessary to complete the mission.

@sly: That's quite the fancy setup. Simpler too, just one step as opposed to, say, 4. I may invest in that in the future....
                            Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-21-2014, 08:25 PM. Reason: Typo fixings

Comment

Is it still smoking? What color was it? Smell?

It could be valve covers leaking and burning off on the manifolds.

As for the other stuff, you're first step is to scan for codes and see what direction it points you in.

Comment

Rough idle could be due to any of the reasons in this article.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/ca...e-190641.xhtml

Comment

Working...
                                X