Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air suspension replacement

Hello!

So it looks like the air springs in the rear are slowly failing. The car rides rather low, and it now started to leak after the cold winter we had.

I've pondered with the idea of either placing new air springs or replacing the whole thing with coil springs. I'm leaning towards replacing the air springs, but there are a lot of choices for them on ebay, ranging from $90 to $200 for the pair.

What is the difference between different types? Which ones should I be getting? Please advise. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Air-Rid...841169&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Town...2bfb11&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Re...1bb13b&vxp=mtr

Thank you!
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature

RockAuto.

Plus you can use the 5% off code for GMN users.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

yeah, basically heavy duty/limo or regular sedan. SOmething else to consider, maybe look up the same year Crown Victoria to get the handling package springs if you want a bit less mushy float to the suspension.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Arnott is often regarded as the best. Also available on EBAY for a good price. They are US made They have the two types as Gadget mentioned regular, which is good and approximates the 3rd gen later/firmer factory bags and they also have limo which is very firm.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'll give another plug for Arnott. They have built up a great reputation in the Land Rover world where the Brits never figured out how to make air suspension parts last much longer than the factory warranty. Prices are better to than OEM.
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

I had my Lincoln Mark VIII (which I don't have anymore) air ride replaced with Strutmaster coils and was very happy with the conversion. At the same time my Lincoln failed I was starting to have air ride problems with my GM LSE and had it's air ride converted too. I didn't see any difference with the ride in either car and my opinion is to convert when you start having issues then the problem is solved! No more sagging front or back ends.

Comment

I'm a big air suspension fan. I have perfectly functional 4 wheel air on the Mark VII, and all the parts to put rear air on the 86 Towncar. Nothing quite like being able to put a bunch of crap in the trunk and not have the car drag ass down the road. There are cases where I wouldn't want it though. Continentals with those moronic air strut things for example. Costs too damn much to fix that. Panther rear air springs are cake, and not that expensive either. The VII parts are similarly easy and inexpensive to deal with.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 for air suspension. For anything before '90, all you need to do is get a set of air shock absorbers at the parts store. They usually run about $50/pair. For 90+, you need air SPRINGS. For the original ride, I'd go with OEM. I had a couple sets of Arnotts and the rubber is definitely thicker than original and the piston shape was not the same. The ride was firmer.
                Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Working...
                X