Driveshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshafts

In my upcoming quest, I am on the lookout for another aluminum driveshaft. I know a later one will work, but how much of a difference in length is there? What years used a short driveshaft (referring to later model cars).

i have to make up 5/8" by use of the UPR driveshaft spacer already. I would LOVe to snag a MMX driveshaft but I have read that they are too short.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

I'd say Panterra77 might be most likely to have an answer.

He has comparison pictures of driveshafts in the last 2 pics of this post:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post759431

This post from the same thread might be more along the lines of the info you seek:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post759504
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Tom, what was in the white coupe? I suspected that it was a little short, but not short enough to matter. It worked perfectly! Suspension was a little lower, but I don't imagine that was the only thing that made it useable.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

John has an MMX driveshaft on his car, I don't believe he used any sort of spacer. Try seeing what he has to say. I'm using a late 90's aluminum police driveshaft on my 82, no problems, just swapped the yoke, even the U-joints were the same. (it fits the 8.8, would have had an issue with the 8.5)
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

You can use an MMX, just need to run a spacer to make up the difference.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Is running an mmx shaft with a spacer more adviseable than a stock steel shaft? Not trying to be comrade question here, just wondering if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Comment

I have the P71 aluminum driveshaft confirmed by the paint rings.
              MMX shafts have Pink/Green or Pink/Green/Blue bands. You can find a whole bunch of new ones on ebay for a ridiculous amount of money. XW7Z-4602-AA is the part number.
              If you can confirm with the seller via picture the colors of the rings on the driveshaft you can probably get one for 125 or so.
              Last edited by 86VickyLX; 01-15-2016, 12:33 PM.

Comment

http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothvic/drivel...t-tsb99181.pdf If you go fast a lot you should consider changing it.

Comment

Let's throw a wrench in here; what driveshaft upgrade options work on on the Lincolns? Were they the same underneath 'cept for the longer tailshaft housing on the tranny?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                  '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                  '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                    Tom, what was in the white coupe? I suspected that it was a little short, but not short enough to matter. It worked perfectly! Suspension was a little lower, but I don't imagine that was the only thing that made it useable.
                    I think it was from a 95 or so P71. If I can find another, I am using it.
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

What year did they change the diameter of the yoke? I know later whales won't fit in early aeros (regardless of driveshaft length)... or is that some misinformation I've been fed?

The ballancer equipped yoke on my 93 is starting to fall apart. I'll need to replace it soonish.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
                        Let's throw a wrench in here; what driveshaft upgrade options work on on the Lincolns? Were they the same underneath 'cept for the longer tailshaft housing on the tranny?
                        Custom or Aluminum TownCar shaft (Pretty fucking rare btw). What is the length of the box TownCar driveshaft while we're talking about it?

Comment

Later whales got the bigger 1350 universal joint front and rear. Not sure what year the changeover was, but I want to say 2006. If yoke splines did not change and the axle flange did not change, it would be a nice upgrade to stronger ujoints.

[back from a look at Rockauto.
                          upto 6/18/06 is the 1330 ujoint.
                          from 6/19/06 is the bigger 1350 joint.]

Alex.
                          Last edited by GM_Guy; 01-15-2016, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
                            I have heard of a Thunderbird driveshaft being used on a Town Car, correct length but I don't know what year/configuration it was.
                            http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=2731666
                            Last edited by BlackVic_P71; 01-15-2016, 06:26 PM.
                            1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I keep reading the 4r7xw yoke is different from the AOD/C4/T5/shit tone of other transmissions... but the AODE seems to be an enigma. I can't find anything definitive about that one. I think the splines are the same, but the yoke is thicker on the 4R7x. I kinda wish I had kept the driveshaft instead of letting Nick have it when he bought the Lincoln. Tuned out that it had the long tailshaft housing and needed the shorter driveshaft. I could test fit that yoke without having to disable 2 cars at once. And I really want to get rid of that balancer yoke BS. I may end up having to get a high speed balanced shaft and there's a shop over near Fort Worth that does just that. But if I can just fit a yoke I can get off the shelf to a better driveshaft, that would work much better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X