Mystery connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery connector?

I found this two wire plug the other night when I was changing spark plugs on the '02 Grand Marquis. It's coming up from somewhere below the alternator between the rear of the alternator and the bracket. Anybody know what it is? I'm guessing it's for something I don't have, Police alternator maybe? The wires are pretty frayed and I don't believe it was connected prior to the plug swap.

Last edited by mercurygm88; 06-30-2022, 09:57 PM.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

It looks like it should be attached to a bracket and something else plugged into it... so maybe for the knock sensor that should be in the valley? Should run fine without that connected as long as the fuel is good. Can't think of anything else over there that would look like that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      It looks like it should be attached to a bracket and something else plugged into it... so maybe for the knock sensor that should be in the valley? Should run fine without that connected as long as the fuel is good. Can't think of anything else over there that would look like that.
      I suppose that could be it, the check engine light isn't on so I assumed it was something extra. I don't know where the engine in this car came from but I'm 90% sure it's not original. When I changed the starter I noticed the passenger side of the block is marked 03/19/19 in white paint. I bought the car in February 2020 with 95,000 on it from a local car lot. From what I've found it was sold new in Florida and spent the rest of it's life in Northeast Ohio about 80 miles from where I found it. All 8 plugs looked great and at 5,000 mile oil change intervals the oil is still very clean. I do have a receipt saying the entire engine was re gasketed by a Ford dealer in Cleveland Ohio in March of 2019 at a cost of $4200! That all seems a bit fishy, who puts that kind of money into a 17 year old car and why would a 70,000 mile 4.6 need that kind of work? I have almost $30,000 worth of receipts between 2015 and 2019 from that same dealer. I'm thinking whoever owned the car before me was a bit impressionable and said dealer had no morals.

Edit: I don't know how true it is but according to what I read on CVN the knock sensor didn't come out until '03 on the Panther 4.6. The parts system at work shows a dual knock sensor with a totally different connector. I'm reading that that's only for the Marauder. So I'm guessing maybe the wiring harness is compatible with another vehicle that had the knock sensor? Either way it doesn't seem like anything is missing.
      Last edited by mercurygm88; 07-01-2022, 02:34 AM.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Looking through my 2008 evtm connector views, the only thing that comes close is the knock sensor connector and the cylinder head temp sensor connector, keying does not match. If they did replace the engine, the question is what engine is in it and what year it came from if they kept the engine harness with it.

Can you make out what the wire colors are?
        Last edited by GM_Guy; 07-01-2022, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I seem to remember an extra connector on my 93 (i know it's not the same) MGM injector harness.
          Like GM guy said, wire colors and a wiring diagram will be a huge help.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
            Looking through my 2008 evtm connector views, the only thing that comes close is the knock sensor connector and the cylinder head temp sensor connector, keying does not match. If they did replace the engine, the question is what engine is in it and what year it came from if they kept the engine harness with it.

Can you make out what the wire colors are?
            Well I know it's a PI engine but that's all I know for sure. I believe the wires were brown and yellow, either that or black and yellow. I'll look again when I get the chance.

​

Comment

Knock sensor (for 2008MY) is yellow-red & yellow.
              Cylinder head temp is yellow-light green & grey-red.

The other two wire thing (besides injectors and coil plugs) is the heated pcv (which lives on the passenger valve cover, similar connector though) which is white-orange & red-yellow.

heated pcv; https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...lVehicle=false

cylinder head temp sensor; https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ad+temp+sensor

knock sensor;https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...7CL4*-49998132

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                Edit: I don't know how true it is but according to what I read on CVN the knock sensor didn't come out until '03 on the Panther 4.6. The parts system at work shows a dual knock sensor with a totally different connector. I'm reading that that's only for the Marauder. So I'm guessing maybe the wiring harness is compatible with another vehicle that had the knock sensor? Either way it doesn't seem like anything is missing.
                Knock sensors were on all 98-99 TC's and ford decided to detune the engines for the 00 model year and the knock sensor didn't return until 03.
                1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
                2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                  Knock sensor (for 2008MY) is yellow-red & yellow.
                  Cylinder head temp is yellow-light green & grey-red.

The other two wire thing (besides injectors and coil plugs) is the heated pcv (which lives on the passenger valve cover, similar connector though) which is white-orange & red-yellow.

heated pcv; https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...lVehicle=false

cylinder head temp sensor; https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ad+temp+sensor

knock sensor;https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...7CL4*-49998132
                  My PCV Is definitely not heated, that must have come about later. It sure looks like a knock sensor connector.
                  Last edited by mercurygm88; 07-02-2022, 11:42 PM.

​

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
                    Knock sensors were on all 98-99 TC's and ford decided to detune the engines for the 00 model year and the knock sensor didn't return until 03.
                    I’m guessing they just continued to use the same harness. My question is if the engine was detuned for 2000 how does this car have a higher hp rating than a 2000? 235 vs 215.

​

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                      I’m guessing they just continued to use the same harness. My question is if the engine was detuned for 2000 how does this car have a higher hp rating than a 2000? 235 vs 215.
                      98-99 TC's ran a hotter tune then regular CV/GM of similar years, so 205 HP single exhaust, dual exhaust 220 HP.

2000 was simply a holdover year where they made a few changes and detuned (200 HP single exhaust, dual exhaust 215 HP) and just rode it out until the 2001 MY, The TC has the same power ratings as any regular CV/GM. PI intake introduction in 2001 is the reason for the HP bump.
                      1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
                      2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
                        98-99 TC's ran a hotter tune then regular CV/GM of similar years, so 205 HP single exhaust, dual exhaust 220 HP.

2000 was simply a holdover year where they made a few changes and detuned (200 HP single exhaust, dual exhaust 215 HP) and just rode it out until the 2001 MY, The TC has the same power ratings as any regular CV/GM. PI intake introduction in 2001 is the reason for the HP bump.
                        I see what you’re saying now.

​

Comment

Working...
                        X