Had my 90 in for inspection
    And the front tires have a groove cut into the sidewalk from
    The upper control arm
    Wheels are basket weave type from a 90 linc lsc with 225 60 16
    Tires
    What can I do?
    Different tires??
    Spacers?

probably nEED A SPACER TO MOVE WHEEL OUTWARDS.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

+1 need spacer. Since it's not outright punching through the tire, a small spacer should work. half inch and hub centric if you can get it I would think would be the minimum spacer. If the wheels are tucked pretty far under the wheel wells (lots of space between the fender and the wheel - not up and down space) then you can probably go thicker. You car was designed to have a offset in the center of the wheel. Finding a spacer that gets the offset to the center of the wheel would be preferred.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Needs 1" or 1-1/4" spacer to recenter the wheel properly. Or you can use 16" wheels off a newer Panther car up to and including 2002 models.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

So the newer panther wheels
          Have the correct back spacing?
          No spacers needed?

Comment

only up to 2002. After that, they use the same flat face off-center backspacing as everything else.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Different wheels or a spacer. I'm running 1" on mine.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 9t3lightning View Post
                So the newer panther wheels
                Have the correct back spacing?
                No spacers needed?
                Both Gadget73 and Lincolmania on here used to run Mk VII wheels in the same dimensions as yours, both had spacers under them to make them center properly. Gadget still runs his car the same way, Lincolnmania switched to factory turbofan-ish wheels from IIRC a '98 TownCar and got rid of the spacers. There's also like a 100 people on here who run factory 16" lacy-snowflaky-design (HPP) wheels from Panthers, again with no spacers. So basically if the wheels come from a Lincoln Mk7 or a Mustang you need spacers, if they are from a 2002 or older fullsize car then you just bolt them on with no spacers. '03 and newer you'll need spacers regardless of what vehicle the wheels came off originally.

Edit: I think the wheels you have now are the BBS ones that are of the same general design as the Panther HPP wheels, just the offset is way wrong for your car. Therefore if you can find a set of HPP wheels they will bolt up to your car and center properly without the need for spacers, and they will look nearly identical to what you have now.
                Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 05-25-2016, 06:32 PM.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Thanks yep that's what they are the BBS style
                  Weird thing is when I bolted them on there was no drag
                  Or resistance to mount them
                  So maybe it runs on turns?
                  Either way I'll swap to some Hpp wheels
                  And get the same look
                  Thanks for the help

Comment

Flexes on turns. If you look in there, its awful damn close. Tires bend.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

had this issue when i got the 89 crown vic.........it had lsc wheels on it and the front tires rubbed the upper control arms.

either get panther hpp wheels or get 1" wheel spacers.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks guys
                        Out in the hunt for wheels
                        Now
                        Appreciate all the help/knowledge

Comment

Working...
                        X