No announcement yet.

A simple frozen Smog Pump question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 never had a problem with cruise... just the AC vacuum check valve checking out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Smog pumps make great additions to any scrap pile.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

So if the Smog pump is taken out, then it affects the A/C system?
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

How would you cap off the holes that would be behind the heads?

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
          That feeds two lines in the back of the heads. It pumps air into the heads right after the exhaust valves in certain situations, as opposed to into the cats. My understanding is air is pumped directly to the cats to help warm them up, while it's pumped to the back of the heads to keep them from overheating while still injecting oxygen to burn any raw fuel that sneaks through.

Here is a picture of roughly what's back there, though in your car most of that valve nonsense at the top left is on the fender, not behind the engine. Circled in blue is where it connects to the heads.

"To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
          -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Porschpow, some screw in 5/8 x 11 bolts after cleaning the head threads. Others cut off the pipes, seal the air passages on the remaining end sections (blue circles), and reattach them.
            Last edited by jim; 07-06-2015, 08:14 AM. Reason: more info
            1987 Grand Marquis LS two door, trying to get to the 60,000 mile mark.

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
              So if the Smog pump is taken out, then it affects the A/C system?
              No. Its not connected to the AC at all. Its indirectly connected to the cruise, but removing it does not seem to affect it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

removal of hose and disk

gadget73, if I disconnect the hose down to the air pump, and the round disk in the center of the picture, and plug the hose continuing under the intake, then my worst symptom may be reduced vacuum to the cruise control. Is that correct? The round disk has "vac" on it, and an arrow pointing outward, so I can't figure out which direction it restricts. It's black on the air pump side and white on the continuing hose side.
                Attached Files
                1987 Grand Marquis LS two door, trying to get to the 60,000 mile mark.

Comment

that hose under the intake is supposed to go to the evap canister under the battery I think. That you'll want to leave alone. The hose from the smog pump actually goes around the back of the engine to the cruise control T check valve. You can pull that thing all out and put a plug on the T where it was connected. This is of course if I'm remembering correctly. It has been a couple of years since I pulled that crap off of my car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Tried the 560K6 belt, sourced from AutoZone. It was too short. Went by O'Reilley's and picked up a K060563. Worked like a charm
                    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park - 5.0 V8/AOD - acquired from TecNickal
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X