No announcement yet.

Yup, that's a lifter tick. Or two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what, remove the valve cover? REmove the upper intake, remove the bolts holding the cover on, pull the cover off. You're probably due for vacuum lines and a PCV system service anyway, and its pretty common to have leaky valve covers anyway. If you don't now, I would sort of expect original gaskets to leak after a flush.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      what, remove the valve cover? REmove the upper intake, remove the bolts holding the cover on, pull the cover off. You're probably due for vacuum lines and a PCV system service anyway, and its pretty common to have leaky valve covers anyway. If you don't now, I would sort of expect original gaskets to leak after a flush.
      That would be simple if I knew where it is or what it looked like.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

valve cover is the part that the oil filler is on. The other side of the engine doesn't have the oil filler, but has another cover.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          valve cover is the part that the oil filler is on. The other side of the engine doesn't have the oil filler, but has another cover.
          Alright then. I don't have the tools to take it off, but I'll use my mom's the next time I'm around.
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

the upper intake has to come off first. You won't get the valve cover out of there without pulling the upper.

One thing you'll learn about repair advice from me is that it tends to take the form of extremes. Its either "leave it alone" or "make it 100% perfect". If you aren't prepared to deal with whatever you may find inside, leave it alone.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can pull the EGR spacer and TB off and pull the drivers side valve cover if you want. At the very minimum you'd have a general idea of how the engine has been maintained.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I just let mine leak.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the upper intake has to come off first. You won't get the valve cover out of there without pulling the upper.

One thing you'll learn about repair advice from me is that it tends to take the form of extremes. Its either "leave it alone" or "make it 100% perfect". If you aren't prepared to deal with whatever you may find inside, leave it alone.
                  Makes sense. Half-assing something is liable to make it worse. I'm the same way; do it right or don't do it at all.

I'll be heading over there tomorrow, so I'll see if I can drop by. My mom probably knows what is where.
                  89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

So an exhaust leak can sound like a lifter issue as well? I have a lifter sound, but the lifters were replaced on mine, so trying to narrow the sound down.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                    1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                    88 CVLX
                    01 Marquis

Comment

Our Town Cars both have valve train noise on start-up, my '88 is a bit worse than Ashley's 89 but both cars go quiet when they warm up. My '94 four banger Danger Ranger had noisy lifters too. Since they go quiet when warm I don't consider it to be an issue. If yours behaves the same way I wouldn't worry about it either.

IDon't know what causes them to get noisy, I assume it's because the cars just sat around and the lifters collapsed? Since the noise goes away when warm I have a itching sensation to use thinner oil like 5W30 but run 10W30 because that's what the owners manual says. As for oil, are there any that will make that go away or should I try and run seafoam to clean the lifters? I'm personally against throwing anything in the crankcase. I used to throw a qt of ATF in the Ranger before each oil change but ever since I switched to synthetic oils I stopped doing that. I used to be Castrol guy but got to reading some stuff on bob is the oil guy about it having more wax than other oils so I switched to Valvoline. Ash and I are doing a trial. She's running 10W30 Castrol Edge and I'm running 10W30 Valvoline Synpower. Right after I changed my oil the car felt like it had more power and ran smoother, don't remember hers having any difference. What do you guys prefer and why?
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Exhaust leaks can sound like a valve tick, sure.

The valve noises tend to be temperature dependant though. Either it will get worse with a hotter engine, or its a cold start noise typically. If it makes the same noise from the time you start it to the time you shut it off, it may not be a valve issue.

My S10 has had a cold weather lifter tick for better than a decade. Its much worse if using the wrong oil, but its always there on cold start to some extent. Run it for a couple minutes and it gets quiet. I just ignore it. Its what it does, and as long as it continues to do the same thing I will just consider it to be normal behavior.

Comment

Mines dieseled like a school bus till it warms up for as long as i can remember. I'd verify its actually the lifters and not the normal piston slap before i'd worry about it.
                          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Exhaust leaks can sound like a valve tick, sure.

The valve noises tend to be temperature dependant though. Either it will get worse with a hotter engine, or its a cold start noise typically. If it makes the same noise from the time you start it to the time you shut it off, it may not be a valve issue.

My S10 has had a cold weather lifter tick for better than a decade. Its much worse if using the wrong oil, but its always there on cold start to some extent. Run it for a couple minutes and it gets quiet. I just ignore it. Its what it does, and as long as it continues to do the same thing I will just consider it to be normal behavior.
                            It hasn't gotten any worse, in fact it may have gotten a little better, so I'm not going to worry about it. If anything I'll just deal with it when I convert the engine.
                            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Um. Turns out it wasn't lifter tick. It was engine knock, since I've been using 85 octane for 2 years without knowing any better.

A bottle of octane booster later and it's going away.
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

where does one even find 85? Lowest I've seen as far as I can remember is 87.

Comment

Working...
                                X