Few exhaust questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
    Flowmaster 50's are louder than turbo mufflers. You can get a set of 14" case turbo mufflers just about anywhere for cheap, most every muffler shop will have some in stock they'll get rid of for cheap. You get some of those welded in and I bet you won't hear them at all with the windows up, maybe a little bit when you get on it with the windows down.

Like I said my exhaust is all stock with no mufflers and I don't consider it loud at all, and I like a rather mild tone.
    Here I am bouncing back and forth at any potentially useful information like a clueless kid in a toy shop.

Alright.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

This is what mine sounds like with a microphone placed right behind the car. It's a little louder now (precious little) because I have duals.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        This is what mine sounds like with a microphone placed right behind the car. It's a little louder now (precious little) because I have duals.
        That's a bit much for my taste. Good to know.

I'll go with the turbos, as suggested, and put resonators in if I feel the need. Probably will, but we'll see.
        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

What you need to do is take your car to a muffler shop, call around and ask if they'll let you listen to a few slipped on the pipes because the only way to know for sure is to listen in person. A non-chain muffler shop should have no problem with that, probably wouldn't charge much at all to do it since they'd love your business.

I'm just saying from my experience Flowmasters tend to have more sound than a turbo muffler, i've been disappointed before how quiet turbo mufflers can be. There are brands (Thrush off the top of my head) that sell longer case turbo mufflers for an ultra quiet sound but more flow than OEM-type mufflers.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by mashaffer View Post
            But an I-6 is another kettle of fish entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMdfqayIA8U

mike
            Agreed.........to some extent. I like the 292 in Putter Project at idle; sound like a V8. THough once you wind it out a little, it's apparent that it's missing 2 cylinders. I will correct that little problem in the future.

Packman

Comment

I should get a video of the Dodge 218" flathead 6 in my pull rig, at full song. Really deep, smooth sound.

Same with the 501" flathead 6 in my brother's machine. You want to talk about a unique exhaust note!
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Look at the video SVT98t posted in his reader's ride thread for his 93 GM "Tank", which has stock duals (albeit 2 newer cats instead of 4) with Thrush Turbos and Marauder tips. His setup, having 2 cats, bigger tips and more powerful 4.6 engine will be louder than your 5.0, and you can tell from the video it's a very mild sound, have to really rev it to hear the tone.

Besides the huge, expensve and crappy flowing Flowmaster 70's, I don't know of any performance mufflers quieter than turbo mufflers.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                X