Window Motor Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Motor Removal

Aside from the 3 bolts that attach the window motor to the door frame; what else holds the motor to the door frame? I removed the 3 bolts and the motor is still attached to the frame. I peered in with a flashlight and can't find any other point of attachment. Are there hidden rivets?

Thanks guys

Packman

3 bolts into the motor housing (which you drilled out holes in the door metal to access, I expect), and that's it. If the window is all the way up or all the way down, the force against the gear might be holding it in place, give it a good whack with your palm but try to avoid letting it hit the bottom of the door in case it knocks a magnet loose inside in the process.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

So my original inclination would have been the correct action (big hammer). LOL I will tell my father that when I talk to himi next (he argued otherwise).

Thanks blkpnthr

Packman

Comment

+1 persuasion

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes, this is also what sometimes makes it a bit difficult to reinstall.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            Yes, this is also what sometimes makes it a bit difficult to reinstall.
            I was worried about that. Hopefully I can move the window back up when the motor is out. This is the original motor. The other doors had them replaced 1 or 2 times in the past.

Packman

Comment

usually just moving the glass around a little bit will get it to let go. I've also just applied power to the motor to unload it. It will fall out of it's hole when its not being pushed on.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got the motor out last weekend. The hammer did nothing, so I got mad, grasped it, and yanked it out (cutting my thumb on the inner frame). The new motor went right in no problem. I greased the gear with white lithium grease. I can barely hear the motor winding up and down.

Packman

Comment

So driver's side front window motor went bad again. It goes down, but doesn't want to go up. I hear a "click" when I attempt to move it up. Perhaps a wire was chaffed or the connection at the plug for that particular function wasn't tight. I got another Dorman a few years ago, we'll see if it works. I replaced this motor a few years ago. Luckily I have had this door apart so many times that the inner panels just fall out when I unscrew the armrest. Perhaps I will be fortunate enough to find an older Panther with manual windows. I'd hate to think that this will be the reason why I get rid of this car.

Packman

Comment

Is the motor really bad or is it just the window gear set (the three plastic pieces)???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

No clue. It just went bad yesterday. I came home from work to see the window bagged up again. I will look at it on the weekend when I have time and it's still light outside.

Packman

Comment

I guess it might not be the motor. I messed with it a little last night after work. Window goes all the way down, but only goes half way up. Something binding in there? What would I check and how would I go about it? Also, what needs lubing aside from the motor gear?

Packman

Comment

Need to take the motor apart and check the gear set. Did you install a new motor or used. What year is the car? When you had the motor out did you test it to see if it turned in both directions? Let's narrow it down together...

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                            Need to take the motor apart and check the gear set. Did you install a new motor or used. What year is the car? When you had the motor out did you test it to see if it turned in both directions? Let's narrow it down together...
                            The 1st time, I replaced that motor with a Dorman (no FoMoCo in stock). What I took out the 1st time was an unidentified motor. If I pop the current motor out, can I just flip toe switch and see if it turns? Or does it have to eb installed to make it turn?

Packman

Comment

Dorman motors suck (usually)! Try to get an OEM. If you connect the connector and then use the switch it should work, freely, in both directions. If something in the regulator is binding, however, it may not work when installed. What year car, again???

Comment

Working...
                              X