Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures of headliners out? Starlight headliner mod? (1987 Grand Marquis LS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures of headliners out? Starlight headliner mod? (1987 Grand Marquis LS)

Hey guys, I've not been able to readily find a picture of headliners out of the car, I know this has to come out to replace my vinyl top, which I need to do. And figured I could tackle multiple things at once, I'd light to make my headliner a starlight headliner like in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6G9u2IZ-kc. Shouldn't be too terrible to do, but before I order the kit, I wanted to make sure it was possible with out headliners, without dropping mine out and having to leave it out while I wait on the kit to arrive.

Thank you all in advance! I know this mod may not be everyone's taste, but I think it's pretty cool, and my headliner is in really good condition, so I figured I could do it!

I need to post pictures of my car, I just haven't gotten around to it...

Haha I just watched that video earlier today. I think it is very cool.

So our headliner is cardboard with a super super thin foam backed material it is definitely not very plush.

Are you looking for a picture of the interior of the car without the headliner OR the a picture of the headliner while it is out of the car?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Here is a link to the inside of my car without headliner installed.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post452854

NOTE: you will have THICK jute sound deadening behind your headliner that will most likely fall on you when removing and make a mess.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

My opinion is your headliner material has to be replaced before you attack this project. If you do not, the foam and the material of the headliner will likely separate when the needle is punched through. You will have a mess. I would punch holes from the new material inward toward the cardboard backing. I will take more planning. This way the new material should not separate from the cardboard. Keep in mind the older and more fragile the cardboard backing is, the less forgiving. I have worked with a couple that were very fragile. I think the idea is cool and I have seen these at car shows.

Comment

yeah the headliner is not the most robust. It seems to be a fair bit better than GM stuff considering most 80s GM products lost their headliners 20 years ago but its all pretty elderly at this point.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Haha I just watched that video earlier today. I think it is very cool.

So our headliner is cardboard with a super super thin foam backed material it is definitely not very plush.

Are you looking for a picture of the interior of the car without the headliner OR the a picture of the headliner while it is out of the car?
            A picture of the headliner outside of the car, but I'll give your thread a look.

I could make a fiberglass backer, or reinforce the backing when it's out. In some manner.

I wouldn't mind it being out for a few days/a week or two if needed. I've got other cars to drive, though I do use this one as a daily.

Comment

I cant help you there....I dont have any pics of it outside the car.

There is a pic here kinda..

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ight=headliner

And here:

kinda here:

Last edited by 87gtVIC; 12-01-2020, 05:59 PM.
              ~David~

Comment

Box bodies used cardboard backing, not fiberglass.

Comment

The cardboard headliner is treated with some kind of substance resembles wax so it wont mold. It is only on the side without the fabric. If a person is very mindful of where they work on it and how they handle it, It should be ok. From what climate the car has spent it's life in makes a difference. I dealt with vehicles that were in the CA. desert. Hot, dry, stuff crumbles. What about this suggestion. Find a headliner in a junkyard car. Buy it and use that as your project piece to work on. Mess it up, nothing lost really, Mess up the only one you have, which is in your car, you will not be happy.

Comment

I would second attempting to pull a jy unit. You can learn on that one...the removal out of car aspect...and if it comes out of the car good you can then proceed with modifying that one. I would recover it in some THICK foam backed headliner material. One of the concerns I had about this mod was the fiber optic cable sticking out some and if you wipe your hand on the headliner for whatever reason you may prick or cut yourself. If you have a nice plush headliner I feel that you wont get caught on it so much. I still want to see this done. It is a neat feature. I drive my car EARLY mornings most of the time and I could get a few good smiles out of doing something like this myself.
                    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 12-03-2020, 09:02 AM.
                    ~David~

Comment

Oh yeah, i 3rd what David said. Ash and I did it twice in one day- once at the yard to get what we needed and then right after to put it in my '85 four door. If I remember right, I had to take the passenger side seat out and maybe even the rear seat cushion to facilitate things. This was mid July and it was close to 100f out, was nasty.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Mine came out the front right door. Lay the seat down and back and it’ll come out. This was my 82 LTD 4-door.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Or maybe that's what we did.. If not, I feel like an incompetent dumb ass for not being able to get it out the smarter & not harder way
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                          X