No announcement yet.

Does it come off??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gadget, I ordered a complete arm with the knob.....how would you suggest I change it, and are any special tools needed?
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    I bought an NOS shift lever for my car. Those are simple to change, and the chrome on my handle is so-so. I still haven't put it on. I've owned it, hmm, 3 years now? The one in the car isn't bad like the original was though. That thing could have drawn blood if I wasn't careful.

Comment

Check out response #10. If more detail is required, I am sure someone will jump in!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I do not have a punch, what can I utilize in its place?
        Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        to change the whole lever, you remove the shrouds from the column and remove the single pin that holds it in. It requires a light tap with a hammer and a punch to knock it out of the hole. Same to re-install.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
          I do not have a punch, what can I utilize in its place?
          See if you can borrow one from a local auto parts place. If not, I am sure some local joint will have a cheap one you can purchase.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

What kind of punch, what size?
            Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            See if you can borrow one from a local auto parts place. If not, I am sure some local joint will have a cheap one you can purchase.

Comment

You could use a nail just flatten the point down.

Comment

+1 just use a fat nail.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I may have used a small screwdriver when I did mine, but a nail would do fine. I have a set of punches from Harbor Freight that I use for stuff now. They go on sale for about the price of scrap steel every now and then. Not super quality, but its pretty hard to screw up a pin punch.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Harbor Freight has some good stuff for occasional use if you use the coupons !

Comment

They sent the incorrect arm, it is smaller and has more of a bend in it...........since my car is an '86 can someone post of picture of what an original arm should look like on the post or laying on a bench?

Thanks!

Comment

You may have received the arm for a mini LTD/marquis.

Comment

The part number comes up for a CV, a MGM, and a Capri. The arm on my '86 MGM is a bit longer and does not have such a sharp bend in it.......someone post of picture of theirs so I can compare to the one on the car now?

Thanks
                          Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          You may have received the arm for a mini LTD/marquis.

Comment

Alex, the picture here........what is it off off?...the part that attaches to the column looks different than the one I have and the one on my '86 MGM
                            Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                            If you are not saving it, get a heat gun and get it good 'n warm (watch out for the other interior parts) and then pull it straight off. It will take effort.
                            Best way to get the new one on is in the middle of a hot summer day. Put the new knob on the dash in the sun, when its been baking in the sun for a few hours, shove it onto the shift lever, have a block of wood handy to give it a whack if it is very stubborn.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                            X